Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

High Frontier Colonization» Forums » General

Subject: Phil Elkund anti-OCD warrior rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is it cost savings or is Phil Elkund secretly trying to train gamers to relax about their game components. First cutting of faction cards in High Frontier, now needing to seperate cover of Colonization to get needed tracking sheet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Actually, there is a long history of old-school board games, especially in the war game subgenre, where players were once required to cut out cards, clip counters, etc. It's likely that Phil is just an Original Gangsta with regards to this sort of stuff.

And in the end, the components (factory pre-punched or not) don't really matter, do they? All the really interesting and meaningful stuff about the game takes place inside the skull.
10 
 Thumb up
0.03
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
Avatar
mbmbmb
FrankM wrote:
First cutting of faction cards in High Frontier, now needing to seperate cover of Colonization to get needed tracking sheet.
On that subject, does anyone have a high-res scan (or original image file) of that page that could be printed (and laminated) so the main book is still accessible during play without being cut up?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calavera, I agree it just runs counter to typical gamer attitudes in recent years and pretty common on this site.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Eye
United States
flag msg tools
D6 dead ahead Captain!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping Phil or someone else will post a nice PDF in the files section so I can just print it out. I could scan it myself, but I'm lazy that way.

I'm still waiting for my copy, so I can't check, but does the cover page with the list of operations also "need" a PDF for printing?

EDIT: I wonder if this already exists on the Yahoo groups site? I'll have to check tonight.

EDIT 2: Doesn't look like it's on the Yahoo groups.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Mantuano
United States
Hamilton Square
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
Actually, there is a long history of old-school board games, especially in the war game subgenre, where players were once required to cut out cards, clip counters, etc.


See 1st edition Ogre (and a lot early SJG products) as an example of this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
don't forget Sierra Madre's Kriegbot, where you have to cut up a a couple of sheets with weapon and other stuff for your vehicles
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The cardstock cover is not a cover. It is game parts that happen to be attached to the rulebook. Remove it and the expansion rulebook is just like the base game rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
Avatar
mbmbmb
nickgb wrote:
The cardstock cover is not a cover. It is game parts that happen to be attached to the rulebook. Remove it and the expansion rulebook is just like the base game rulebook. :)
Yeah, but it's stapled!


I suppose surgical cuts could be made in the cover to extract it without needless tearing or pulling the staples out...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Yeah, but it's stapled!


I suppose surgical cuts could be made in the cover to extract it without needless tearing or pulling the staples out...


That is just what I did. Then cut the front and back apart with scissors. Now they can lay next to the board for record keeping and operations reference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
Actually, there is a long history of old-school board games, especially in the war game subgenre, where players were once required to cut out cards, clip counters, etc.


I still clip my counters! Also, I have an original copy of High Frontier (aka Rocket Flight) and all the game pieces are just sheets of cardstock counters and cards that you have to cut out. The map is literally just xeroxed paper, and the manual is stapled together.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Williams
United States
Gahanna
43230
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With permission, I posted the end page and cover page of the rules.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94995/hf-colonization-endp...

BStringham wrote:
I'm hoping Phil or someone else will post a nice PDF in the files section so I can just print it out. I could scan it myself, but I'm lazy that way.

I'm still waiting for my copy, so I can't check, but does the cover page with the list of operations also "need" a PDF for printing?

EDIT: I wonder if this already exists on the Yahoo groups site? I'll have to check tonight.

EDIT 2: Doesn't look like it's on the Yahoo groups.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Eye
United States
flag msg tools
D6 dead ahead Captain!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuelw3 wrote:
With permission, I posted the end page and cover page of the rules.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94995/hf-colonization-endp...

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.