Alex D
msg tools
I've been thinking about attending a gaming group event for the past while now, but am wondering if there's anyone who has experience at one or more of them? I've tried searching online but didn't really have any luck finding the info I wanted.

I'm personally not interesting in TCGs or tabletop war games, so I'd prefer a board-game centered environment if possible. And I'm happy to bring my own boardgames/food if it's a potluck-type group.

It looks like most of the stores in the area have boardgame nights. Fongo Bongo for instance, is nearby but has "Family Game Nights", "Date Nights", and "Open Gaming". Does anyone have an opinion on which nights are better for adult gamers looking to play some of the more in-depth games (also sort of worried about children, any bad experience with parents also baby-sitting their children while playing)?

However, in regard to the stores, I'm a little worried about noise levels. We attended the board game convention a couple months back and had a terrible experience trying to hear each other over a nearby roll-playing-game group. In addition I had a couple bad experiences with employees at the nearby shops (maybe they more focused on boardgame players on the respective nights?)...

Are any of the stores a bit better than others for newcomers/boardgamers?

Otherwise it looks like there's a Murray Library, Tyler's House (?), and Coffee Shop meet-up throughout the month.

Anyone have any experience with these? How it is for new comers (very easy to join a game, or certain groups of players come and always play with each-other)? Are the events more focused on just having an open area for people to play, or more focused on getting everyone to intermingle and play games together? And do any of these focus on TCG or tabltop rpg/wargame instead of board games?

Thanks for any info you guys have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Neves
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex,

I've only had experience with Tyler's MeetUp group, but they concentrate on: 1) making sure current games end at the same time, adding fillers if necessary, so everyone has a chance to choose from the next round's offerings, and 2) focusing on newcomers to the group. I've only been to Tyler's home, but average attendance is around twenty--shouldn't be too loud.

Try it, you'll like it.

Also of note, Oct. 19 at Epic Puzzles & Games is the three-year anniversary of the "Salt Lake County Quarterly All-Day Gaming" group, and Nov. 2 is an all-day gaming event at the West Jordan Library's Viridian Center. Good opportunities coming up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I don't attend a lot of the local gaming events because I prefer the complex thematic games that take several hours to setup and play. But I've been to meetups at Tyler's and the Coffee Shop. Both are very inviting to new people and good at making sure no one is left out. I've had a good time each time I've attended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mangum
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are willing to go a little farther, they have open game night at Board Game Revolution in Orem. When I was there last, there was a group playing Battlestar Galactica and another group playing a couple of boardgames off the rental shelves.

I also saw that a number of participants had brought stacks of their own games.

I was impressed by how welcoming the groups were. I had not been there but a few minutes before I was invited to play in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.