Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has recess in her room once a week and prefers to structure some sort of activity. In previous years, she has found them insatiable for word games such as Scattergories or team Scrabble. This year's class she describes as more "sporty" and that they "need something they can move around during." Any ideas would be wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Tumblin-Dice maybe? It reinforces math skills. (Basic ones -- what age group is involved?) It's a dexterity, so it involves some physical activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgames don't seem like a great choice for kids who want "sporty". Even dexterity games like Tumblin Dice are really more about being calm and controlled than being active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willward wrote:
Tumblin-Dice maybe? It reinforces math skills. (Basic ones -- what age group is involved?) It's a dexterity, so it involves some physical activity.

They are about 11/12 years old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Blockhead!, Jenga, and Jungle Speed

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
D4RKSH33P wrote:
Willward wrote:

They are about 11/12 years old.

Then something like Tumblin-Dice probably wouldn't overly tax them and might make a decent selection. Curt makes an excellent point, though. Depending on what you mean by sporty, if this group needs a brief physical release as well as mental during this period, then any board game might well have difficulty fitting the bill. If budget was no consideration, maybe sports like table tennis, Foosball, or air hockey might work.

But assuming those probably aren't valid options, there are some physical games that might bridge the gap. The ones I'll suggest even come with bonus points for connections to geography and sociology.

Gorodki is a Russian game that could be set up in a classroom. (I'm envisioning a concrete floor with desks and chairs pushed to the side.) If you have trouble finding a set (which is likely), they're simple enough that the high school shop class ought to be able to cobble one together pretty easily.

Kubb is a Scandinavian game that's somewhat similar. Not sure how available they are around the world, but they're definitely for sale at most toy and game stores around here. I believe it's usually played outdoors in an area slightly larger than a typical classroom, but I imagine it would easily adapt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Based purely on recommendations from others on BGG, sounds like a case for Dungeon Fighter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf
or
The Resistance

I think either would really get them thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Boardgames don't seem like a great choice for kids who want "sporty". Even dexterity games like Tumblin Dice are really more about being calm and controlled than being active.

Yes I am aware that the majority of board games aren't going to be all that interesting to a kid who wants to be running around. They have outdoor or gym recess except for this one day. But compared to being given reading or homework time I think that game time no matter what the game is preferred. There are plenty of party games that involve movement and I was hoping to find some ones I didn't know existed.

Sagrilarus wrote:

Blockhead!, Jenga, and Jungle Speed

S.

I've been meaning to get jungle speed for my own use and this will give me an excuse. I'll just have to buy a few extra copies for the classroom.

Willward wrote:

Then something like Tumblin-Dice probably wouldn't overly tax them and might make a decent selection. Curt makes an excellent point, though. Depending on what you mean by sporty, if this group needs a brief physical release as well as mental during this period, then any board game might well have difficulty fitting the bill. If budget was no consideration, maybe sports like table tennis, Foosball, or air hockey might work.

But assuming those probably aren't valid options, there are some physical games that might bridge the gap. The ones I'll suggest even come with bonus points for connections to geography and sociology.

Gorodki is a Russian game that could be set up in a classroom. (I'm envisioning a concrete floor with desks and chairs pushed to the side.) If you have trouble finding a set (which is likely), they're simple enough that the high school shop class ought to be able to cobble one together pretty easily.

Kubb is a Scandinavian game that's somewhat similar. Not sure how available they are around the world, but they're definitely for sale at most toy and game stores around here. I believe it's usually played outdoors in an area slightly larger than a typical classroom, but I imagine it would easily adapt.

This is the American school system, budget is always a consideration. Any of these games would be bought by us and not the school. I think that the two games you linked too look super interesting, but I don't think they will fit the classroom.

Zigihogan wrote:
Werewolf
or
The Resistance

I don't know why I didn't think about this. The only problem with these two are their violence so I'll try to mod them into something else. I think The Resistance would be easiest. Just focus on the mission being something nonviolent and not hand out gun tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
D4RKSH33P wrote:
Zigihogan wrote:
Werewolf
or
The Resistance

I don't know why I didn't think about this. The only problem with these two are their violence so I'll try to mod them into something else. I think The Resistance would be easiest. Just focus on the mission being something nonviolent and not hand out gun tokens.

I think The Resistance will be a big ol' mess with Middle Schoolers. Too much temptation to screw with the game regardless of what your loyalty card says. Seriously, I'd pick a game without hidden roles.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Playoffs Baby! Playoffs! F--n Right!
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are playing during recess, then I bet time is also a factor (just basing this off my 8th grader's experience)?

One option might be to get a big, cheap pile of d6s, some plastic cups (dollar store?) and let them play Liar's Dice, Perudo, etc. It's easy to teach, plays quickly, scales to fit groups of different sizes, has a social/bluffing element and keeps everyone busy rolling dice and tracking the bid. There is no real down time for anyone either. B&N puts sets on sale/clearance all the time too--I got my last copy of Perudo for about $3.

Jungle Speed -- I am a huge fan of this game, but it might actually be a bit too physical for a school setting. People tend to get pretty amped up while playing and injuries are not unheard of--I have a permanent scar on my right thumb from this game.

I think that party games might be your friend. The big box of Telestrations plays up to 12 (or multiple groups of four or six). That's a fun light game where everyone is involved the whole time. The kids also seem to like Wits & Wagers--maybe the family edition would be an even better fit.

Dexterity games might be good for the fidgety kids on break time. A lot of games in this category can be pricey, but Sorry! Sliders can be had inexpensively. It is a fun twist on a familiar game. Plus it is modular and can be set up in a variety of ways.

King of Tokyo -- just fun, quick and cartoonish. It is one of the few games my son will grab to play with friends (as opposed to video games, basketball, etc.).

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Our Lady of Perpetual Yelling
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Boochi. It can be played indoors or out, and involves physical activity. The only downside is only 4 ppl can play at one time, and the downtime waiting for the next turn. We've played it in our homeschool co-op and it was pretty popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
Love is YOU
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll vote for Jungle Speed. It's an active game, but it might be too active for students.

Most social deduction games like The Resistance just have you sitting the whole time. I'd recommend looking into Two Rooms and a Boom if you want a more active game with movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
Love is YOU
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want more playground games, you might look on a different website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
FlowerFall!

Also I second Dungeon Fighter. It is a lot of fun to have to bounce dice onto a target while doing ridiculous things.

Neither of these games is even slightly educational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
how about that old classic: Pictionary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

I am going out on a limb here...

But what is wrong with a couple of games of chess?
Chinese Checkers?

Also, why not games like Memoir 44? - small scale WWII game
How about small scale Axis and Allies?

Or yes, even Monopoly for multi-player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.