Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Moore
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a loved game in our house no matter that we aer having trouble with it. It seems the USSR can not lose for some reason. By the middle of mid war the USSR has hammered the US into the dirt and wins through VPs. Is there something specific that the US player should be doing other than fighting for VPs? It seems we can only try to slow the USSR down.

Please help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been the USA and down 19 points only to come back and win. It takes some finesse and crafty play (and lucky card draws), but it can certainly be done. How many games have you played? It may come down to gaining more experience as the US player.

Edit to add thread which addresses this:
US STRATEGY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:
I have been the USA and down 19 points only to come back and win. It takes some finesse and crafty play, but it can certainly be done. How many games have you played? It may come down to gaining more experience as the US player.

We have played 3 full games and 1 game heading the same way as the others. Each time USSR was a different player, one who also played US in one of the other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Likely the USA player isn't preparing for the mid game, or is overcommitting in a region (esp. Middle East). Russia is often ahead, but the US can absolutely come back from that in most games.

It takes more experience to play a good USA game, because the Soviets can punish early mistakes much harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belibutn wrote:
This is a loved game in our house no matter that we aer having trouble with it. It seems the USSR can not lose for some reason. By the middle of mid war the USSR has hammered the US into the dirt and wins through VPs. Is there something specific that the US player should be doing other than fighting for VPs? It seems we can only try to slow the USSR down.

Please help!

Slowing them down is what you need to do. In the first 3 scoring regions (Europe, Middle East, and Asia), aim to be even in one and perhaps dominate another (probably Europe) to counter the USSR's likely domination of the Middle East.

If you can get to Turn 4 with the score at -5 or better you're usually in good shape, and the deck starts to favour you now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
belibutn wrote:

Please help!

Slowing them down is what you need to do. In the first 3 scoring regions (Europe, Middle East, and Asia), aim to be even in one and perhaps dominate another (probably Europe) to counter the USSR's likely domination of the Middle East.

If you can get to Turn 4 with the score at -5 or better you're usually in good shape, and the deck starts to favour you now.

Well, it went much better that time. I took into account some of the things in the link above as well as here and played better. Made it to the turn end of turn 6. "We Shall Bury You" was in play and it was killing me on points. Then at the end of 6, I had forgotten about the Military Ops and lost 4 VPs - which brought her to 20.

Just for fun, I dealt out the next hand. I would have been dealt Middle East and Europe Scoring cards. I would have won as I actually CONTROLLED Europe. That would have been my Headline card

It was a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm...odd game if DEFCON was at 4 in Mid War. Are you all not couping a lot? Also, WWBY is a one-time 3 VP score, not a continuous event.

Have fun, and good luck as US! I always recommend Wargameroom for more practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Just finished my third game yesterday. Played all of them as the US. This was the first time I didn't get hammered during mid-war too. Going to Late War I was 6 points ahead but the game ended up as a draw. A very tense one too. We were both high on adrenalin afterwards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.