Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
They really want to get rid of Sedition Wars, it seems. I'd buy one if the game could play more than 2 players. I wonder if anybody has variants/house rules to make it play well with 3 or 4 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Wisconsin Rapids
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard the game is mediorce are best, but at that price I'm almost tempted to pick it up just for the minis to paint since they are supposedly very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
Noom-noom-Numeron, send us food to chew-mer-on.
badge
Ed's chunk just spun in place, forever.
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, this is Miniature Market's default "Deal of the Day". Whenever their actual deal sells out, it becomes Sedition Wars. Also, if you watch when they put their new deal up at 01:00 EST, it briefly becomes Sedition Wars and then jumps to the actual deal.

But I agree with the above sentiments -- nothing to get excited about here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitthrawnuruodo wrote:
I've heard the game is mediorce are best, but at that price I'm almost tempted to pick it up just for the minis to paint since they are supposedly very nice.

My thoughts exactly. After shipping, that's maybe $1 per mini included in the game. Pretty tempting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny B
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what exactly is so bad about this game that MM wants to rid their stock of it? The kickstarter looked pretty decent and the rules sounded ok. Can anyone who has played it explain why its so bad or not and if it's worth $35?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnymut wrote:
But what exactly is so bad about this game that MM wants to rid their stock of it? The kickstarter looked pretty decent and the rules sounded ok. Can anyone who has played it explain why its so bad or not and if it's worth $35?

I didn't play it, but most of the negative reviews seem to have a problem with the rulebook. From what I've heard, they're supposedly working on fixing it. Of all the things to need to replace in a board game, I would think the rulebook would be among the cheapest. Might be good to get in while it's cheap and wait for the new rules. Or house rule it yourself for a while.

Edit:
PS- Esoteric Order of Gamers has a pretty nice rules summary and re-designed cards to help with these issues.

http://www.orderofgamers.com/sedition-wars-v3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
Noom-noom-Numeron, send us food to chew-mer-on.
badge
Ed's chunk just spun in place, forever.
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnymut wrote:

All sizzle, no steak.

Actually, I have the Kickstarter copy and have yet to play it. The reason for this is simple -- to get the minis to a playable state takes a LOT of work. Some figure pieces are absolutely tiny, especially arms and guns. I knew the miniatures would need assembly when I backed it, but actually seeing the quantity of figures and the amount of work it takes to put them together was a little overwhelming. Don't get me wrong -- I know I'm a weakling when it comes to miniatures compared to Warhammer fans, but I'm primarily a eurogame cube-pusher.

Along with this is just a general lack of desire to play the game based on what I've read. Apparently, the gameplay feels very "gamey". And by that I mean in order to play to win you have to deploy tactics that are directly contrary to the theme of the game. Kind of neutralizes the whole reason I wanted to get it in the first place -- the theme.

Anyway, someday I hope to get it played. For now it's collecting dust on a shelf. I'm guessing that's where most other owners' copies are too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ill chime in on the SedWars.

Pros/Cons:
- Amazing Minis can be used for a ton of different games - Medium amount of work to get them assembled and there are a lot of them! Definitely pro-hobby.
- Rules and Cards that come with the game are obsolete. The current rules are much better, but not all the way there. The game is alright and needs interesting scenarios to go along with the current rule set.
- Scenarios are not balanced. Studio Mcvey promises to rerelease new scenarios down the road.

So my suggestion, buy it on the cheap for the minis and the possibility that a gem is in the works. For me Ive been spending this time in rule/scenario upheaval to get my set all assembled and painted up to excellent level in the anticipation that this game will rock my face off when its done.

Need to reiterate: The game has a ways to go before its in a good/great state for play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnjon wrote:
All sizzle, no steak.
Good way to put it.

Apparently kickstarter backers were Alpha playtesters for the game. The original rulebook is full of holes, and the second rulebook is still a work in progress. Some dedicated players have cobbled together workable rules and play aids which you should be able to find in the SW files section. The customer should not need to do this. If you're publishing a board game I expect better than first draft Alpha playtest rules in what goes to market.

johnjon wrote:
Anyway, someday I hope to get it played. For now it's collecting dust on a shelf. I'm guessing that's where most other owners' copies are too.
Played it once using the rules in the box. As noted above, needs work. And now my copy is sitting on a shelf, as are the two other local copies that I know of. If the rules are worked out further I'll give it a second chance, but right now, disappointed.

This has taught me a lesson about KS though, and I won't be backing any more Studio McVey projects. (And hesitant about backing anybody else's for that matter.)

As for the miniatures, they are decent (though not world-beaters) and the humans do not require that much assembly as compared to current GW plastics. The bigger Strain can get complex, and you'll need to visit the SW site for assembly instructions for the Grendl in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.