Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
.... if there is one!

Here's my collection (65 games): http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Moe45673

Filter out games listed as "For Trade", just games owned. Also, view it in large gallery mode.

Now, what game stands out as missing? Tzolkin? No thanks, got WP with Manhattan Project, Agricola, and possibly.... possibly Castles of Burgundy. Power Grid? No thanks, got my auction train game with Chicago Express (plays in half the time too). I've got economic games, negotiation games, party games, 4X games,

I am happy to pull any of these games off the shelf. I can't think of a game that'll plug a hole.

So... what's missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any space-themed games there. Is that intentional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not intentional, just space games have never appealed to me and none of my game partners have ever clambered for them. I just got San Juan, so perhaps RFTG someday, or Cosmic Encounter. My one play of Eclipse failed to captivate me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
At a quick glance, I didn't see any co-op games or racing games in your collection. I don't know if you're a co-op fan or not, so I won't bother to list the many fantastic co-op games here. For racing games, I personally like Snow Tails, which is being re-released (sort of) as Mush! Mush!: Snow Tails 2.

I also don't recall seeing any real-time games. A fabulous one that's coming out later this year is Damage Report. If you want competitive real-time, look at Galaxy Trucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, some good suggestions. I got off co-ops after Flash Point: Fire Rescue tanked twice with my group (despite the fact that I enjoyed it and even soloed it). Robinson Crusoe had my attention until I saw that it's almost ceaseless pounding which luck can help you get through..... something that turns me off, especially in heavier involved and fiddly games.

Realtime is a great suggestion. I've actually been really curious about Space Alert but it fell off the radar for one reason or another. I'll need to look more into it.

Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think about it that way? When you choose what movie to go see, do you say, "The number of musicals I've seen this year is lower than other genres, so I'll go plug that hole"?

Tzolkin and Manhattan Project really feel quite different. Worker placement games vary so much that grouping them into one fungible whole seems like saying you only need one civ game. And yet you rate both TTA and CoC a 10. Do you consider one unnecessary given the other?

So my recommendation is just to buy games that have the highest chance of being satisfying, all things considered. Some games are similar to each other, but those are best evaluated on a case by case basis. imho. ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about an auction game like Goa, Modern Art, The Princes of Florence, or Neue Heimat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Copp
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried out dexterity games? Recent incarnations beyond Crokinole: I used to own Catacombs, and am having a bit of trader's remorse surrounding its absence, but another one I'm eyeing is Terror in Meeple City
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Why do you think about it that way? When you choose what movie to go see, do you say, "The number of musicals I've seen this year is lower than other genres, so I'll go plug that hole"?

Tzolkin and Manhattan Project really feel quite different. Worker placement games vary so much that grouping them into one fungible whole seems like saying you only need one civ game. And yet you rate both TTA and CoC a 10. Do you consider one unnecessary given the other?

So my recommendation is just to buy games that have the highest chance of being satisfying, all things considered. Some games are similar to each other, but those are best evaluated on a case by case basis. imho. ymmv.

No, but I WOULD consider that when buying a movie as part of a "movie night" collection to share with my friends... I'd be likely to get all similar movies or all different movies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coppt2 wrote:
Have you tried out dexterity games? Recent incarnations beyond Crokinole: I used to own Catacombs, and am having a bit of trader's remorse surrounding its absence, but another one I'm eyeing is Terror in Meeple City

Dexterity games are a good recommendation if you're into that sort of thing. PitchCar, Tumblin-Dice, Safranito, Elk Fest, and Villa Paletti are some of my favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

You may look into Rex: Final Days of an Empire. This is a re-theme of Dune (I hear, I have never even seen a copy of Dune!) and is mostly a diplomatic wargame (I guess). I saw that you don't like bidding but the bidding in Rex is only for cards and sometimes no one wants them, you also pick them blind so no one can bid crazy high amounts for them.

I really do like this game, however, it really does best with a larger group, maybe 4 but at it's best with 5 or 6. You can play with less but it really shines with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
No, but I WOULD consider that when buying a movie as part of a "movie night" collection to share with my friends...

Fair. If you know that others have different tastes from you, and you somehow feel obligated to cater to them. I guess I'm just more selfish. I buy what I want to play. If someone else wants to play other stuff, then they can buy it, and if I don't find it off-putting, I might even play it with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually look at games individually and don't consider whether I own games with similar themes or mechanics. For example, I have many worker-placement games, but I think most of them have enough differences that make them worth owning. I also have many game with similar themes, but they are not copies of one another. My philospohy is: buy, buy, buy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
No, but I WOULD consider that when buying a movie as part of a "movie night" collection to share with my friends...

Fair. If you know that others have different tastes from you, and you somehow feel obligated to cater to them. I guess I'm just more selfish. I buy what I want to play. If someone else wants to play other stuff, then they can buy it, and if I don't find it off-putting, I might even play it with them.

Heh. Assembling (ensnaring?) a game group comes first. Once they're hostages I can make them play whatever I want. *cackle*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Because I want to keep my collection as discrete as possible. When it comes to number crunching games, such as Euros, I look for a new way to crunch those numbers. Some of the methods introduced in newer games are superficial and gimmicky, made more appealing by quirky themes or whatever. The fact that I've gotten to 65 games and the drive to always visit my FLGS and/or play new games has diminished so much that I'm no longer surfing BGG all day (though I still browse a lot) says to me I've done well.

And Through the Ages and Clash of Cultures are very different games. TtA is more like managing a very large city state, whereas CoC is more in line with a typical 4X. Where do I begin? They both have happiness but how it's kept up is vastly different. They both have technologies but the methods for acquiring them in both games are vastly different (shared pool/first come first serve in TtA vs a personal player board in CoC, for one). One has a map and one does not. One has corruption and consumption, one does not. etc etc

Obviously, not all WP games are created equal. I didn't mean to say they are.... but there are similarities between those that are primarily WP games and some just are more interesting. I'm considering selling Manhattan Project because I'd always rather play Agricola.

Jordan, I played Goa once and didn't find it interesting enough to explore further. It did have some unique features but I wasn't excited enough to optimize it. And I already own a bunch of auction games anyhow Modern Art is cheap, though, and as a pure auction game is interesting. Good suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zigihogan wrote:

You may look into Rex: Final Days of an Empire. This is a re-theme of Dune (I hear, I have never even seen a copy of Dune!) and is mostly a diplomatic wargame (I guess). I saw that you don't like bidding but the bidding in Rex is only for cards and sometimes no one wants them, you also pick them blind so no one can bid crazy high amounts for them.

I really do like this game, however, it really does best with a larger group, maybe 4 but at it's best with 5 or 6. You can play with less but it really shines with more.

Thanks for the rec! What makes you think I don't like bidding? I love auctions because I suck at them and would love to improve (so play play play!)

I want to stay away from games that require a specific player number (like A Game of Thrones) or else they're subpar (2p games being an exception). However, your suggestion put me in mind of some of the euro-ish wargames, like Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York and Lyssan. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
I read what you said above about Flash Point and co-ops. I'm curious: have you tried playing Pandemic yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was new to boardgames at the time of Flash Point. Oddly, some of the people in my group had played Pandemic and when I told them FP:FR was similar they were excited. It still fell flat. I think they felt it was too easy the first time (family game) and the second time they didn't fully understand how certain things were happening like fire explosions, because I was doing all that stuff when they'd roll the dice, so that possibly took away from it.

I want to clarify that I found FP to be a great game but my group didn't. I gave up on co-ops since then and honestly never really felt the need to go back. So no, I never did play Pandemic.

Nowadays I play solitaire games (including wargames) and suspend my expectations for a meaty experience considering the limitations of cardboard AI. I don't think adding people to the experience would help.

Again, Space Alert is a different story as the main opponent is time, not a die roll or a deck of cards. Also, Hanabi has caught my attention due to all the good feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo/co-op:

Ghost Stories
Agents of SMERSH

Hybrid:

Yedo
Alien Frontiers

Unique:

Galaxy Trucker
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
Medium-heavy wargame:
Friedrich
Maria

Card drive games:
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Twilight Struggle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Zigihogan wrote:

Thanks for the rec! What makes you think I don't like bidding? I love auctions because I suck at them and would love to improve (so play play play!)

I want to stay away from games that require a specific player number (like A Game of Thrones) or else they're subpar (2p games being an exception). However, your suggestion put me in mind of some of the euro-ish wargames, like Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York and Lyssan. Cheers!

As I was going through your collection I thought I saw a comment on one of your games that said you weren't a fan, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for games unlike anything else you own, I would suggest

Letters from Whitechapel: a thematic game with two very different sides-- playing Jack is a thrilling manhunt that gives you the feeling of being a criminal mastermind, while playing the police is a very analytical deduction game.

The Bottle Imp: a fantastic three player trick taking game with an intriguing twist that makes it unlike any other trick taking game

Tigris & Euphrates: a classic Knizia game with elements of bluffing, area control, hand management and tile-laying

You don't have any of Knizia's other classics either, besides Battle Line. My favorites are Ra, Samurai, and Through the Desert.

a good 2-player abstract- all of the GIPF Project games are great. I would suggest checking out YINSH or TZAAR, the most accessible of the series.

Oh, and Dominant Species is an awesome worker placement game that almost feels more like a civilization game. You would probably love it.

Personally, I think your collection does a fantastic job of covering many different genres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another real-time game you might want to look at is Escape: The Curse of the Temple.

I think you need an auditory game, so check out Mord im Arosa.

I don't think you have any action point games (too lazy to check right now), so I'll suggest you look at Tikal.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see any what I consider "pocketable" games that play more than two, so I'll throw out Love Letter or Coup as suggestions. Bonus - they're cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Griffin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Space Alert
Fill two holes: space theme and real time games

Escape: Curse of the Temple
If you don't like space, but still want a real time game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.