Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Has anyone bought more expensive fuel as part of a winning strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
It came up when I played earlier this week... we had a 1st timer to power grid so hence rules explanation when it came up that the rules do not say you have to buy the lowest priced units of the types of fuel you are buying, ie. the rules only say...

"Naturally, the cheapest resources are usually purchased first."

So it sounds like the rules allow it... and other than to be a king maker (saving cheaper units for player who buys after you can get them cheaper and maybe win on the tie breaker or something), I'm having trouble coming up with a strategic reason to do so that may help yourself? Anyone?

Interestingly the rules for when building don't give the same flexibility for which of the 3 spots in a city you can build it... it says to place it on lowest empty space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like the rules as written allow you to buy resources from any space. I can't recall ever wanting to do such a thing and I doubt it would ever come up, although I agree you can construct artificial situations where you might want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It seems like the rules as written allow you to buy resources from any space. I can't recall ever wanting to do such a thing and I doubt it would ever come up, although I agree you can construct artificial situations where you might want to.

The only other reason is "Placating an S.O.". Whether this fits a kingmaker or not depends on overall positioning, but I doubt it would go over in anything other than a two player game.

Oh, maybe for children, but I would recommend that even less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There would never be a reason to do this unless you were trying to create some financial benefit for those buying the same resources after you.

Let me rephrase that: There should never be a reason to do this if your intention is to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Let me rephrase that: There should never be a reason to do this if your intention is to win the game.

There are obvious cases where you could want to do this in order to win the game. E.g., buy the more expensive fuel in the market so that the player after you can afford to buy up the less expensive fuel, so that the player after him can't buy the fuel he needs to win.

Whether that would happen in practice, or whether it's a good way to play in that case, are different questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
There are obvious cases where you could want to do this in order to win the game. E.g., buy the more expensive fuel in the market so that the player after you can afford to buy up the less expensive fuel, so that the player after him can't buy the fuel he needs to win.

I agree. This could easily come up in a real game, although it might be uncommon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never appreciated that was the intent of the rules, and I think most games would run more smoothly with a house rule that you always buy the cheapest.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
E.g., buy the more expensive fuel in the market so that the player after you can afford to buy up the less expensive fuel, so that the player after him can't buy the fuel he needs to win.

Whether that would happen in practice, or whether it's a good way to play in that case, are different questions.

There is already too much potential for end-game collusion and king making (if you stop a player from winning, you are probably handing the win to someone else). Adding this type of market manipulation is too much for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
xenongames wrote:
There is already too much potential for end-game collusion and king making (if you stop a player from winning, you are probably handing the win to someone else). Adding this type of market manipulation is too much for me.

Really, you should be looking at your opponent's plants and start by assuming that they will buy all the goods that they can and that what remains for you will be the highest priced goods left.

You can then factor in the chances that they are going to collude in the manner that was described here. I doubt if you are ever going to see this happen but you need to weigh the odds that it does.

Kingmaking is never going to be eliminated from the game itself but whether or not it happens is a function of your gaming partners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
While I would certainly agree with the strategy of buying out the resources to hose another player, I have never come to a situation where I would think that buying more expensive resources to make it easier for other players to purchase the less expensive would benefit.

I have drained the resources keeping others from being able to power all cities in the final round, but I usually was working that angle a couple turns before hand. To queue the person in question to be last on buying resources and goad others into the action too. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played dozens and dozens of games with people who have played much more than me, and the thought of buying more expensive fuel never came up. None of us ever considered it. Doesn't mean it isn't allowed, just doesn't seem like a useful strategy. We aren't analysis paralysis prone, so we don't try to keep track of exactly how much $$ each other player currently possesses (we keep $$ secret), so knowing whether a player can afford the fuel they need is highly unlikely, and I wouldn't play the game with people that hell set on victory. We play it to have fun. My last game I won with more money left on a tie game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The German rules say: "Man beginnt beim Kauf mit den g├╝nstigsten Rohstoffen." - You start your purchase with the cheapest resources.
Maybe it's a mistranslation in the English rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.