Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Imperial Ace - first attempt at Imperial Squad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to Imperial Ace expansions.
Don't own any Tie Intercpetors at the moment so have to decide to go for either 2 Int expansions + 1 Imperial Ace or the other way around.

Was fooling around in the squad builder.
What do you think?
2 Saber w/ VI
Kir Kanos w/ Stealth Device
Carnor Jax w/ Push the limit

The plan would be to try and get around with Jax to interfere while keeping Kanos a little back to use his ability.

I don't know if it would be worth it to skip either SD or PtL to upgrade Sabers to Royal Guards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two and two. The pilot cards are great in both and having four ints is nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with something more like:

Avenger Squadron Pilot - 20
Avenger Squadron Pilot - 20
Carnor Jax - 26
+ Push the Limit - 3
+ Stealth Device - 3
Kir Kanos - 24
Stealth Device - 3

Total - 99

The difference in PS 3 and 6 is fairly marginal at the moment, at PS3 you're moving after and firing before all cheap Imperial and Rebel ships so that you can try and stay out of fire arcs. The points saved here allow you to put more protection on Jax and Kanos so that their abilities stay on the table for as long as possible.

As with all Interceptor-heavy lists, double YT-1300 lists will be your bane!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I just want to run 4 Royal Guards with Push the Limit... I ran Sabers with PTL last night and they were nuts, and would love a 2PS upgrade to make them shoot before nearly any other swarm and wingmen for big guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eruletho wrote:
I just want to run 4 Royal Guards with Push the Limit... I ran Sabers with PTL last night and they were nuts, and would love a 2PS upgrade to make them shoot before nearly any other swarm and wingmen for big guys

I see this being a very powerful squad. The only downside is you'll have some trouble with Falcons... but even then, you can take Focus + Evade with each of your ships every turn (since you won't need Boost or Barrel Roll to track down that "piñata"), so you can minimize the damage taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eruletho wrote:

Yep, if Kanos and Jax don't interest you that's a good squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
they really should adjust the point cost for the royal mooks. Now, there isn't much of a reason to play Saber Squadron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
they really should adjust the point cost for the royal mooks. Now, there isn't much of a reason to play Saber Squadron

It does seem interesting that the interceptors followed +1 PS=+1 point until the Royal Squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I dunno man, I just can't wait for

Soontir Fel (27 + 3 + 2 = 32):
  Push the Limit (3)
  Targeting Computer (2)

Run around, Target Lock + Boost or Barrel Roll, stay out of firing arcs and get a free focus every single round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Duraham wrote:

I can stil lsee them playing a role in lists where unique pilots take up most of the points, but never again do I think I'll use the 4 extra points saved for anything to run 4 sabers rather than 4 royals... Last night it gave me a shield, which ended up saivng one tie from Han for a turn (and giving me all 4 to eat the falcon with... more on that in a second) but the PS6 over 4 is just too nice. It puts you above Chewie, Kath, Biggs, ect., and brings you to an init roll vs sooooo many other pilots.

As for my saber run last night, the opening salvo on the falcon was 14 offensive dice against just 4 defensive dice, and my red's were on fire. I brought Han down to just 3 hull remaining off that first round. If the shielded guy had died, then it would have only been 10 dice against 3 defensive dice, still not a nice proposition when the falcon had no defensive tokens or tricks and all my ties had focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On second thought, you can't run 4 Royal with PtL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
monkeykins wrote:
On second thought, you can't run 4 Royal with PtL.

why not? 22+3=25, so you could have 4 of them for a perfect 100points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
The imperial aces pack itself even comes with at least 1 PTL, and if the pattern of upgrade cards holds, the facedown elite pilot talent is another PTL. That means that you can run 4 royals with PTL using only the stuff form two imp aces expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all feedback.

2x Saber Squadron pilot
2x Royal Guard Pilot
1x PS7 Saber Squadron Character
1x PS8 Saber Squadron Character
1x Kir Kanos
1x Carnor Jax
2x Shield Upgrade
2x Hull Upgrade
2x Targeting Computer
2x Opportunist
2x Push the Limit

I think this is what you get.
So yeah, getting two packs is really nice since the I don't like the cards in the Tie Int expansions, just the pilots.

Yeah, 4 royals with PTL seems pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until now, one of the best upgrades you could put on a Sabre Squadron Pilot was Veteran Instinct. That made a 22-point Interceptor at PS6. Now you can have a 22-point Interceptor at PS6 that still has an EPT slot... so assuming you value PS6, there is no reason to run Sabres... unless you can't come up with that 1 point and still want the flexibility of a PS4 Sabre Squadron with PtL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brinkman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
commuterzombie wrote:

Never sell the interceptor List short. for regionals I flew
Soontir (PTL and Stealth)
Turr (VI, and Stealth)
Vader (Homing Missiles, Engine Upgrade)

I took out a double YT squad flown by a very good player. I was his only defeat of the day. I ran undefeated.

You have to keep them out at range 3 as much as possible and behind the astroids to get those extra defense dice. Giving a YT-1300 a second agility die is not the end of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Until now, one of the best upgrades you could put on a Sabre Squadron Pilot was Veteran Instinct. That made a 22-point Interceptor at PS6. Now you can have a 22-point Interceptor at PS6 that still has an EPT slot... so assuming you value PS6, there is no reason to run Sabres... unless you can't come up with that 1 point and still want the flexibility of a PS4 Sabre Squadron with PtL.

Also it feels like you get more value from the Ace pack in form of the cards.
The Tie Int exp doesn't seem to have those MUST have upgrade cards (multiples that is).

Also, only need to get 1 A-wing (I mean, I feel you kinda have to get at least one of every ship. Variation is nice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthOctane wrote:
commuterzombie wrote:

Never sell the interceptor List short. for regionals I flew
Soontir (PTL and Stealth)
Turr (VI, and Stealth)
Vader (Homing Missiles, Engine Upgrade)

I took out a double YT squad flown by a very good player. I was his only defeat of the day. I ran undefeated.

You have to keep them out at range 3 as much as possible and behind the astroids to get those extra defense dice. Giving a YT-1300 a second agility die is not the end of the world.

Congratulations on a good win. You have to concede though that this wasn't an ideal match up for your squad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.