Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for some input on the card design for my 2013 Solitaire Play Submission, The Castle.

I really struggled initially to come up with a "look" for the card. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome though. There might be some subtraction of elements at this point, but I don't think there's anything I need to add.

Please tell me what you think, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Gary

One at higher resolution with the border outlined to mark the bleed areas.

The new card back, I'm pretty excited by these designs. I think they look fairly well polished. I've really been trying to learn graphic design as part of the game making experience. I know I'm no professional, but I think these look pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A pretty card, and moody. Appropriate. The thready texture layer looks a little digitally overwrought, though, and looks more like a sci-fi type texture, at first glance. It's not, but reminds me of, circuitry or something. But all in all, very nice.

The little illo in the circle might need the background lightened if it needs to be quickly identified by content. If the color itself is the identifier and the image is just decoration, no big deal.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words Tim,

The illustration is supposed to be color coded although lightening it for recognition for color blind people is something to consider. The coloring was a quick mask I put on just for proof of concept.

I was wondering about the greenish gold texture (started out a dark yellow anyway). I think I could pull it back a little with relative ease if you think it would help the overall look and feel of the card.

One of my concerns was the starburst/bubble graphic in the upper right hand corner. I thought it might look a little out of place but I liked it. It may be unnecessary decoration, but at this point I'm glad to be looking at what to take away and not what to put up.

Thanks again for having a look,
Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recomend that the number (the 7) shouldn't have the inner shadow, and also the circle in the base is too dark, it won't look so good printed (the inks kinda mess with the colours)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your opinion as well. I am actually kind of sad that things can't appear exactly how I see them. I have managed to keep things in CMYK, I was told that helps. Here are some more cards and the most recent iteration of the board (which is still incomplete)

A new board, still needs quite a bit of work though.

And one of the new character cards, designed to match the castle cards (which also have characters on them).

and one more sample castle card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Germ
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.