Hide
22 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Which Expansions Should I Buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ory dnem
msg tools
Hello everyone, my first time here. I'm a long-time fan of board & box games (especially Catan, Munchkin and now - Talisman) and I got Talisman base game (2nd edition) as a present a long time ago. It sat on the shelf, but recently I decided to try it again, and immediately marked this one as my favorite. I played a lot since then, and now the adventure deck starts to get boring... I want to buy an expansion but I'm on the fence...

Never mind the fact that I have the 2nd ed, I quickly fixed that by using some coins as fate and changing the board. I'll probably buy 3 small expansions - I don't want the large ones because I don't have time for long games, and I find the Dungeon & Highland ones to be useless - they only bring new "special" adventure cards that you can only acquire by going into a new part on the board, bubt you can get "normal" adventure cards in a nuch lower price, so... I also don't want the Dragon one, it sounds not fun for my style of play.

But the city one... I'm not sure if it is good. Again, it adds some "special" adventure cards which I don't really want (well I do want them but I prefer the cards in the small expansions - their theme is far better in my opinion), and the shops. The shops sounds like a welcome addtition, but 1) I can add the shops to the board by myself - I already tweaked my board anyway, and 2) In my games I have never found myself with enough gold to really use these shops.

The Reaper - I will surely buy this one because I heard the cards here are the best of all expansions.

The Frostmarch - The theme is, well... nice. I prefer a "Cold VS. Hot" theme or a "Four Elements" theme. Cold only is a bit dull. However I really, really want these Warlock Quest cards...

The Sacred Pool - To me, it sounds as the best expansion. Making alignment important, adding Stables, and adding Quest Rewards - they are all important additions. I WANT this.

The Blood Moon - I really like this theme. Other than that, I have nothing to say on this one.

So it seems the conflict is between Frostmarch and Blood Moon. I like the Blood Moon theme, while the Cold theme is so-so. However, there are Warlock Quests... And maybe the cards in Frostmarch are better? You'll tell me...

Or maybe I'm wrong and the large expansions are the ones to go for me?
So which one should I pick? And which expansions should I buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just on the big expansions. The small ones add variety to the deck, correct (and, really, they're all good so take the ones you like). The big ones give you focused adventuring areas.

Thus:
The Highlands give you easy encounters and a lot of gold.
The Dungeon gives you hard encounters
The City gives you a place to spend all that gold you got in the Highlands
The Dragons give you a new end-game - and possibly a new game more themed towards the dragons.

So, in the beginning of the game, the Highlands allow you to explore in an area where the threats aren't as difficult as the main board and thus gain your early experience. Later in the game, the Dungeon allows you to go to places where there are more potent threats.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
The werewolf from Bloodmoon gives the game a second roaming monster token. Worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I highly recommend the werewolf expansion and the Dragon expansion. A friend has the frostmarch exp. and it really is kinda meh, especially compared to the werewolf.

Bloodmoon has a day/night mechanic that is quite amusing and lots of game changing cards.

Sacred Pool. we THOUGHT it would be game changing but so far it has not been that special. Perhaps we need to shuffle our cards better lol

I would say that for the small expansions, the order of favs for us are:

Blood Moon
Reaper
Sacred Pool
Frostmarch

Good luck! Happy Playing!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highlands isn't exactly easier than the main board. The average enemy str and cft is pretty much the same; however, the highlands has enemies about one card in every three whereas the main board is roughly one in every four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ory dnem
msg tools
MerricB wrote:
Just on the big expansions. The small ones add variety to the deck, correct (and, really, they're all good so take the ones you like). The big ones give you focused adventuring areas.

Thus:
The Highlands give you easy encounters and a lot of gold.
The Dungeon gives you hard encounters
The City gives you a place to spend all that gold you got in the Highlands
The Dragons give you a new end-game - and possibly a new game more themed towards the dragons.

So, in the beginning of the game, the Highlands allow you to explore in an area where the threats aren't as difficult as the main board and thus gain your early experience. Later in the game, the Dungeon allows you to go to places where there are more potent threats.

Cheers,
Merric

Plaid_Dragon wrote:
Highlands isn't exactly easier than the main board. The average enemy str and cft is pretty much the same; however, the highlands has enemies about one card in every three whereas the main board is roughly one in every four.

It basically means that there's no reason to explore the main board anymore. Here's a recipe to victory:

1. Go to The Highlands, get some money and increase your stats.
2. A short trip to the city to buy a warhorse and some weapons.
3. Get to the dungeon to further increase your stats; Kill the LoD and get a treasure.
4. You'll probably pop at the middle region. Just visit the Warlock, get this stupid Talisman and you won.

However, this recipe also shortens the game because you don't need to wait for monsters to increase you stats so long; There are more monsters in the Dungeon & Highlands, so your stats increase quicker.

quietcorn wrote:
The werewolf from Bloodmoon gives the game a second roaming monster token. Worth it.

Not a problem. I can make a werewolf by myself: I don't play with minis anyway because I'm using the 2nd edition (which uses cards instead of minis).

Gamenurse wrote:
I highly recommend the werewolf expansion and the Dragon expansion. A friend has the frostmarch exp. and it really is kinda meh, especially compared to the werewolf.

Bloodmoon has a day/night mechanic that is quite amusing and lots of game changing cards.

Sacred Pool. we THOUGHT it would be game changing but so far it has not been that special. Perhaps we need to shuffle our cards better lol

I would say that for the small expansions, the order of favs for us are:

Blood Moon
Reaper
Sacred Pool
Frostmarch

Good luck! Happy Playing!!!

I don't like the day/night mechanic much. Why change the strengh of monsters using a completely random factor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
roymend wrote:

I don't like the day/night mechanic much. Why change the strengh of monsters using a completely random factor?

Because it is fun!!!! and the game is pretty much completely random anyways, so why not!!?? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use the Day/Night cycle to your advantage, altering the Strength of Lycanthropes and other creatures,changing the properties of certain items, spells and followers, since there are quite a few objects and abilities that allow you to peek at and manipulate the Adventure deck, or change Day to Night and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ory dnem
msg tools
magmaxtic wrote:
You can also use the Day/Night cycle to your advantage, altering the Strength of Lycanthropes and other creatures,changing the properties of certain items, spells and followers, since there are quite a few objects and abilities that allow you to peek at and manipulate the Adventure deck, or change Day to Night and vice versa.

Do you remember some examples of cards that are affected by day/night?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's sample list here:
http://www.talismanwiki.com/Category%3AThe_Blood_Moon_Expans...

There are plenty though : Lunar events for Day and Night; these bend the rules in one way or another, modifying your movement, allowing the gain of extra lives, spells, letting you evade monsters, or receive bonus to praying. These events are continuous and last until Night or Day passes.

There are Places that change properties depending on when you encounter them. One is The Haunted Hamlet. During the Day it's treated as if you're visiting the Village, at Night it summons Spirits from any place on the board.

There's a monster that forces you to Change Day to Night upon encounter, and after you defeat it, night turns to Day again.There are monsters that if defeated during the Night give you Spells or Craft.

There's the Night Stalker that saps your character's life away every turn if you fail to defeat him, etc.

There's a Follower that allows you to roll and additional die and add it to your Attack score during the day. If it is Night, you can discard the follower to change time to Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark West
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the Dragons and Bloodmoon is that they are very fiddly, they dont work as well as the other expansions, for small box the Reaper, Sacred Pool (which adds the quest rewards!!), and Frostmarch are better. If you have a big table then you could get the Highlands and Dungeon, and The City which all offer alot. My favorite is the City due to its items you can purchase, they are very powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markw2020 wrote:
....for small box the Reaper, Sacred Pool (which adds the quest rewards!!), and Frostmarch are better....

If I had to choose I'd acquire Reaper before any other expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ory dnem
msg tools
magmaxtic wrote:
There's sample list here:
http://www.talismanwiki.com/Category%3AThe_Blood_Moon_Expans...

There are plenty though : Lunar events for Day and Night; these bend the rules in one way or another, modifying your movement, allowing the gain of extra lives, spells, letting you evade monsters, or receive bonus to praying. These events are continuous and last until Night or Day passes.

There are Places that change properties depending on when you encounter them. One is The Haunted Hamlet. During the Day it's treated as if you're visiting the Village, at Night it summons Spirits from any place on the board.

There's a monster that forces you to Change Day to Night upon encounter, and after you defeat it, night turns to Day again.There are monsters that if defeated during the Night give you Spells or Craft.

There's the Night Stalker that saps your character's life away every turn if you fail to defeat him, etc.

There's a Follower that allows you to roll and additional die and add it to your Attack score during the day. If it is Night, you can discard the follower to change time to Day.

Wow! Lunar events sound really cool. And I didn't even know that there's a wiki to Talisman, thanks!

Markw2020 wrote:
The problem with the Dragons and Bloodmoon is that they are very fiddly, they dont work as well as the other expansions, for small box the Reaper, Sacred Pool (which adds the quest rewards!!), and Frostmarch are better. If you have a big table then you could get the Highlands and Dungeon, and The City which all offer alot. My favorite is the City due to its items you can purchase, they are very powerful.

I don't want Dragons anyway, it seems too strategical to me. I absolutely love strategy games, but not in Talisman.

Plaid_Dragon wrote:
Markw2020 wrote:
....for small box the Reaper, Sacred Pool (which adds the quest rewards!!), and Frostmarch are better....

If I had to choose I'd acquire Reaper before any other expansion.

May I ask why? I looked at some of the reaper cards in Talisman Wiki. I didn't find anything special, interesting or game-changing.

Also, another question (hopefully the last one): How can you buy the stables fron Sacred Pool? Is there a card like the market that allows characters to buy stables?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's widely accepted that the base came is "completed" by the Reaper expansion. It adds a bunch of new adventure cards and spells. The four new characters to play with goes without saying.

The Grim Reaper roving around the board is the primary attraction of the xpac andis a pretty cool feature and worth the price of the expansion imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are several Stables(Place) cards in the Adventure deck in Sacred Pool that let you purchase the different Horses

Reaper was the first expansion for the 4th edition, so it's the one that is most contigious with the base game. It doubles the adventure and spell decks without adding any new mechanics. The Reaper NPC is optional.(actually, Frostmarch and Sacred Pool are similar in this way. Sacred Pool only adds the Quest Rewards mechanic. These allow you to gain different bonuses and gifts upon completing Warlock Quests).

What Reaper does also is introduce Adventure cards with thematic triggers and special rules.

There's the Cerberus monster who guards the Portal of Power. There's the Colossus follower who both increases your Strength in battle and lets you stomp out Places you land on.

There are places that travel around the board such as the Carnival which is like a roaming Tavern, or a Stranger like the Leper who spreads disease around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting a copy of the 4th edition from the recent math trade. Is there enough gameplay in the base game to keep one satisfied for a while or are expasnions needed? Regardless what is a "must have expansion"? I too am looking mainly at the small ones. If I could only afford one, which should it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have your answer in the two posts above yours. To further explain, the base game comes with a rather smallish adventure deck, so if you're going to play the game a lot, chances are the adventure cards will get old after a while. So you want a small expansion to add a good bunch of new adventure cards to your game (more spells also come in handy, the base comes with about 30 or so).

Why Reaper? all small expansions add a good number of adventure cards, but almost all of them have a special theme, or add a particular twist to the gameplay: Frostmarch for instance is mostly about snowy beasts, glaziers and frozen places, Blood Moon has a classic monster theme with vampires, werewolves and such, and also includes the day/nigh mechanic.
Of all the small boxes, Reaper is the most "neutral", it doesn't have a particular theme, just plain typical fantasy creatures and encounters just like the base game and almost feels like the lost half of the adventure deck, so that's why I (and others) think that base + reaper is the "real" base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
You have your answer in the two posts above yours. To further explain, the base game comes with a rather smallish adventure deck, so if you're going to play the game a lot, chances are the adventure cards will get old after a while. So you want a small expansion to add a good bunch of new adventure cards to your game (more spells also come in handy, the base comes with about 30 or so).

Why Reaper? all small expansions add a good number of adventure cards, but almost all of them have a special theme, or add a particular twist to the gameplay: Frostmarch for instance is mostly about snowy beasts, glaziers and frozen places, Blood Moon has a classic monster theme with vampires, werewolves and such, and also includes the day/nigh mechanic.
Of all the small boxes, Reaper is the most "neutral", it doesn't have a particular theme, just plain typical fantasy creatures and encounters just like the base game and almost feels like the lost half of the adventure deck, so that's why I (and others) think that base + reaper is the "real" base game.

Thanks, I don't know if we will play it too much since I just got Runebound and all the expansions. But honestly Blood moon sounds up my ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
You have your answer in the two posts above yours. To further explain, the base game comes with a rather smallish adventure deck, so if you're going to play the game a lot, chances are the adventure cards will get old after a while.

It's all relative though. Base Talisman R4th comes with 104 Adventure cards, which in many other games, you'd have people whining about how there are too many cards. Of course, a proper Adventure deck should have 400+ cards whistle cool .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Thanks, I don't know if we will play it too much since I just got Runebound and all the expansions. But honestly Blood moon sounds up my ally.

You can't really go wrong with any smallbox. Bloodmoon just happened to be the last one I purchased. It WASN'T a mistake to get tho. It's a very good small box expac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Myers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
My local shop has the city. I have fun with the base game, but would like some new variety. I'm worried about space and time. Does the expansion add a lot of time to the game duration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all expansions, here is my take:

Reaper: I agree with most people, a very nice addition and the Reaper itself is a fun add on

Blood Moon: In general I like werewolves, even more than vampires, but this addition was disappointing to me, I don't plan on getting it. If it was free I would take it.

City: I have been a huge fan of the City since 2nd edition. I love it, its my favorite!

Dragon: Way to powerful and dangerous, I do not like it, I won't get it. If it was free I would refuse.

Dungeon: My 2nd favorite expansion. Though it can be difficult. Mine is in the mail and on the way to me.

Frostmarch: a nice expansion, it came with my base board when I bought it used. Not as nice as Reaper, but good.

Highland: I do not like it much. I have seen it abused with the combination I think with a spell getting people to the Crown of Command to easily and quickly. If it was free, I would take it but may take out the spell or items that abuse this expansion.

Sacred Pool: the last expansion I want and haven't gotten yet. It's a nice expansion somewhere around the level of quality of Frostmarch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.