Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a full session report but still wanted to share (and read other such occurrences where a bad card draw causes near disaster.)

A friend and I were playing Escape from Dol Guldur. On the previous turn we had made the necessary progress on the quest and grabbed the final two objectives which allowed us to progress to the final quest card. We were prepared to make the final sprint on the last quest card and needed 7 progress to win.

We went for broke and sent almost everyone to the quest, with the exception of a lone Veteran Axehand who would contribute no Willpower. We ended up sending 21 to the quest and there was only two threat sitting in the staging area. We felt we had this in the bag.

The first card we drew increased the threat in the staging area to 4, no problem. Then, card number two was....UNGOLIANT'S SPAWN! All characters committed to the quest lost one Willpower. This knocked our 21 Willpower down to a measly 9. Ouch! We discarded a couple of cards to Eowyn and got it up to 11, but only ended up making 4 progress. Three shy of what we had needed.

Now we had to engage enemies for which we were ill prepared. I already had one engaged, as well as an Orc Guard (per the scenario we had each placed a face down player card in front of us) and then I had to take on Ungoliant's Spawn. My friend had 1 regular enemy and one orc guard and was already down a hero who had died from treachery earlier in the game.

I was first player and we resolved the attacks. I had managed to keep a Veteran Axehand ready and sacrificed him to Ungoliant's Spawn. I then had to take 2 undefended attacks. The first attack's shadow card had me remove all attachments but a timely Hasty Stroke kept that from happening. Beravor took the damage and was killed, which was not a big deal because he was going to die that turn anyway due to damage from the Shadow Key (already had 3 and the inevitable 4th would have finished him). The second attack was from the measly Orc Guard..and the shadow card was, if attack is undefended remove all attachments you control! No way! Not twice in a row! That was awful, because poor Gimli was wearing his Citadel plate and had 7 points of damage sitting on him. That was awesome when he and Legolas took down the Nazgul in one attack. Now, not so good, as he lost the Citadel Plate and immediately bled out. Legolas ended up taking 1 point of damage due to the undefended attack and had one point left.

My friend ended up losing Eowyn to one undefended attack, and Aragorn survived the undefended attack from the orc guard.

Next turn, we did manage to generate enough Willpower to escape, but we almost lost it in that one turn because of the untimely Ungoliant's Spawn in addition to those two back to back shadow cards. My friend had drawn no Test of Wills that game and Faramir never showed up either. I was out of lore tricks to decrease threat in the staging area. We definitely savored that victory with what was left of our heroes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuraicat wrote:
Beravor took the damage and was killed, which was not a big deal because he was going to die that turn anyway due to damage from the Shadow Key (already had 3 and the inevitable 4th would have finished him).

Beravor is a SHE! Sorry, just bugs me when people get her gender wrong .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I kept thinking Beravor was a she, but some of the elves look pretty feminine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Samuraicat wrote:
Beravor took the damage and was killed, which was not a big deal because he was going to die that turn anyway due to damage from the Shadow Key (already had 3 and the inevitable 4th would have finished him).

Why do you get bugged when people get the gender wrong for a fake (as in nothing to do with Tolkien) character? I couldn't give a damn what gender it is supposed to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuraicat wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I kept thinking Beravor was a she, but some of the elves look pretty feminine!

She's not an Elf either, she's I guess Dunadan, Ranger of the North anyways.

"Beravor, a Ranger of the North, is firmly dedicated to the remnants of Arnor, and has travelled far and wide across Middle-Earth." (MEQ description page)

"Beravor, a human ranger, is a deadly character in these dark times. She is an excellent ranged fighter, and has enough cunning to be a wicked close combat opponent as well. One of her starting quests sends her to the Grey Havens. There she will consult with the powerful Gandalf, but before she can speak to him, she must defeat one of Sauron’s evil spies. The Crebain is not the strongest, nor the most foul of foes, yet they can spread Sauron’s will rapidly if not defeated. As she has a Strength of only 5, she will need to be selective in which cards she chooses to dispatch her opponent." (MEQ preview)

Quote:
Why do you get bugged when people get the gender wrong for a fake (as in nothing to do with Tolkien) character? I couldn't give a damn what gender it is supposed to be.

It's a point of GET IT RIGHT laugh . Also, guessing you haven't seen the thread(s) over on FFG forums where people are clammering for more female heroes, with the usual pro and con side arguments (Tolkien had very few females in LotR, make it more accessible to female gamers, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to put it out there, Beravor, as I recall, probably has the biggest, ahem, 'assets' of any characters in the game at this point (except maybe a few of the dwarfs ), so it's stunning to me that someone would mix that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it when five heroes go into Dol Guldur to save one hero, but then several heroes get kill in the process of rescuing the one. Sauron FTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend, me and my wife lost Dol guldur while on stage three, because in the same turn i raised my threat by 10 to get to 51 cause of shadow cards and she lost a hero (already one lost) , leaving her with only one hero, Eowyn, and the Nazgul in play. Thus we lost while we were very close, since my spirit glorfindel with lots of tactics attachments, elrond and Beregond were supposed to do the fighting .... Damn the shadows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wrobel Swirek
msg tools
BeatGuy wrote:
I love it when five heroes go into Dol Guldur to save one hero, but then several heroes get kill in the process of rescuing the one. Sauron FTW!

http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/black-hawk-down/no-man-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DuBois
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:
I'm just going to put it out there, Beravor, as I recall, probably has the biggest, ahem, 'assets' of any characters in the game at this point

Are you confusing her poofy sleeve for a boob?

http://www.tizianobaracchi.com/artpageview.php?id=37

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.