Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty interesting short film from the NFB in 1966.
It really shows the conflictions with many of the residence of Upper Canada at the time of the war.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/question_of_identity_war_1812/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty interesting...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I find most interesting about the game, besides just being a good if light game, is the marked difference in understanding of the conflict. No American would eve in my experience regard the War of 1812 as about invasion of Canada. Having been educated in the States, Britain was portrayed as repeatedly ignoring US sovereignty and its blatant abuses such as press gangs in which American citizens were routinely seized or its interference with free trade even suspected of going near France, the aggression of Britain was squarely blamed for the war.

Thus, knowing that's just one point of view, I'm delighted to see the Canadian view portrayed. Sure, I'm skeptical but that's because I'd never heard it before. The idea that the Americans were perhaps also aggressive is a fascinating idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a great read on the War of 1812, and one that pretty fairly gives a balanced view, try "Don't' Give Up the Ship! Myths of the War of 1812" by Donald Hickey. It covers such things as the causes, battles and campaigns, the maritime war, soldiers sailors and civilians, the mechanics of waging war, and other topics. It goes into the reasons why Canadians and Americans have differing viewpoints and debunks such things as Canadian militia "winning" the war or American naval superiority, etc. Great read and very useful background book...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt, check the facts. This is particularly true in anything involving Canadians and Aussies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
When in doubt, check the facts. This is particularly true in anything involving Canadians and Aussies.

No Aussies in the War of 1812 laugh...but I get your point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.