Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Excellent packing option about to come out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The people at battlefoam will have foam custom cut for Attack Wing minis ready for sale by next week! I've seen the product for X Wing and it is a terrific product!

http://us.battlefoam.com/products/%28720%29-P.A.C.K.-720-Cus...

or the smaller option

http://us.battlefoam.com/products/%28432%29-P.A.C.K.-432-Cus...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Battlefoam for my X-Wing ships and love it. However, I'm not sold on buying it for Attack Wing. The models aren't very good and the paint jobs are absolutely terrible so I just can't bring myself to going this route for these things. If WK hadn't cheaped-out, though, I would have been among the first to order Battlefoam for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
H00D4M4N wrote:
I have Battlefoam for my X-Wing ships and love it. However, I'm not sold on buying it for Attack Wing. The models aren't very good and the paint jobs are absolutely terrible so I just can't bring myself to going this route for these things. If WK hadn't cheaped-out, though, I would have been among the first to order Battlefoam for sure.


I think there is a new rule forming on the internet...instead of the longer a thread goes the greater the likelihood that someone brings up the nazis... it is now...anytime someone mentions star trek, someone complains about the minis.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, did you just bring up Nazis?!

Because I *loved* that episode on the Original Series! ;-P
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
If you repaint or wash and touch up I guess tis would be a great investment for your minis
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed Battle Foam over the weekend and got this reply yesterday. I love the custom tray creator idea. I'm not 100% sold on it yet (I've got a pretty good solution worked out will hold every ship announced plus some...and all the cards), but I might go with it anyway.

But here's their reply:
Quote:
We are working on adding the shapes to the Tray Creator as well as a starter set for the box. Please check back this week as we should have updates.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
I emailed Battle Foam over the weekend and got this reply yesterday. I love the custom tray creator idea. I'm not 100% sold on it yet (I've got a pretty good solution worked out will hold every ship announced plus some...and all the cards), but I might go with it anyway.

But here's their reply:
Quote:
We are working on adding the shapes to the Tray Creator as well as a starter set for the box. Please check back this week as we should have updates.


I'm curious what your solution is??? I am racking my brains trying to figure out some storage solution that I like.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
primtim34 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
I emailed Battle Foam over the weekend and got this reply yesterday. I love the custom tray creator idea. I'm not 100% sold on it yet (I've got a pretty good solution worked out will hold every ship announced plus some...and all the cards), but I might go with it anyway.

But here's their reply:
Quote:
We are working on adding the shapes to the Tray Creator as well as a starter set for the box. Please check back this week as we should have updates.


I'm curious what your solution is??? I am racking my brains trying to figure out some storage solution that I like.


Dewalt Deep Pro Organizer. http://www.dewalt.com/tools/hand-tools-storage-and-work-supp... Initially I was cutting some foam & standing ships on end in the deep trays, but haven't found foam I really like for that yet. So now I've pulled out most of the 3" deep trays that it comes with & made three 1" trays out of foam core. The bottom two (one flipped upside down for a "lid") holds the bags of counters, dice, etc. The top one holds all my ships with room for 2-4 more.


The nice thing about the Dewalt organizers is they snap together, so as my fleet grows it can grow too. And if I only want to take the Feds, I can just grab that one organizer & leave the rest behind.

I really liked the idea of using the deep pockets that come with the thing, but finding decent foam that didn't rub the models too much & cutting it was going to become a lot of work very quickly. Foam core is easy to work with & "good enough" for now.

Oh, and the models are either pushed into the foam core on their pegs (E-D, 1701, Cardassian, etc.) or using toothpick-like crafts sticks. I have a thin piece of foam over the top so they don't move around too much in transit.

I'm sure this will be very different in 6 months, but I'm liking it right now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle Foam tray creator already has STAW ships available. Just go to "Other Game Shapes" and scroll down. http://tray.battlefoam.com/tray.html

Now, I haven't tried to order anything yet, but it looks like we can at least lay things out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo some of the above sentiment. These minis are as solid as rocks and the paint is ridiculous thick and cakey (for better or worse). I've literally thrown mine into bins in a $9 Plano case and I have no worries about them taking any kind of damage (especially with as light as these things are). I use Plano solutions for X-Wing, and those miniatures are much more finely detailed with thinner tiny parts.


As nice of an option as it seems, a proper Battlefoam case and trays ends up exceeding what most people have invested in minis for this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
primtim34 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
I emailed Battle Foam over the weekend and got this reply yesterday. I love the custom tray creator idea. I'm not 100% sold on it yet (I've got a pretty good solution worked out will hold every ship announced plus some...and all the cards), but I might go with it anyway.

But here's their reply:
Quote:
We are working on adding the shapes to the Tray Creator as well as a starter set for the box. Please check back this week as we should have updates.


I'm curious what your solution is??? I am racking my brains trying to figure out some storage solution that I like.


Dewalt Deep Pro Organizer. http://www.dewalt.com/tools/hand-tools-storage-and-work-supp... Initially I was cutting some foam & standing ships on end in the deep trays, but haven't found foam I really like for that yet. So now I've pulled out most of the 3" deep trays that it comes with & made three 1" trays out of foam core. The bottom two (one flipped upside down for a "lid") holds the bags of counters, dice, etc. The top one holds all my ships with room for 2-4 more.


The nice thing about the Dewalt organizers is they snap together, so as my fleet grows it can grow too. And if I only want to take the Feds, I can just grab that one organizer & leave the rest behind.

I really liked the idea of using the deep pockets that come with the thing, but finding decent foam that didn't rub the models too much & cutting it was going to become a lot of work very quickly. Foam core is easy to work with & "good enough" for now.

Oh, and the models are either pushed into the foam core on their pegs (E-D, 1701, Cardassian, etc.) or using toothpick-like crafts sticks. I have a thin piece of foam over the top so they don't move around too much in transit.

I'm sure this will be very different in 6 months, but I'm liking it right now.


I'm really digging this idea. Any chance for some more pics (especially of the underneath compartments). Looks like a good solution!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Save your money and buy a craft organizer or tackle box tray.
Battlefoam is a ridiculous waste of money for these models, even if you repaint them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
I'm a cheap bastard.

I have discovered that the plastic inserts that come in the expansion packs actually stack on top of one another. Since they're already formed for the specific model, I just stack them in groups of 4 or 5, put them in a cheap cardboard box, and use my base game to store counters, tokens, and other stuff.

Saves a lot of time, effort, money and hassle.

Darilian
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
macgowan wrote:
Save your money and buy a craft organizer or tackle box tray.
Battlefoam is a ridiculous waste of money for these models, even if you repaint them.


I love how people are so willing to make value propositions for others while completely lacking in virtually all of the info one would typically want before making such a proposition.

Clearly, I value 189 US Dollars less than the utility provided to me by one of these battlefoam bags. So, I think what you meant to say is they are a ridiculous waste of YOUR money.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a miniatures player and hobbyist, I know my miniatures storage options.
I also know how durable a WizKids paint job is.
I also understand that no one in their right mind would pay $189 for whatever you got when they can pay $6 and have everything stored and easily accessible.

I can think of no reason whatsoever to get a battlefoam bag for these figures. I could maybe see getting a tray, if you keep all of your gaming supplies in one big BF bag. Which is also crazy to me.

Would you mind explaining why everybody has such a hardon for BF bags? Because I've used one (for Malifaux models that actually need protection, mind you) and got rid of it within a week.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
macgowan wrote:
Being a miniatures player and hobbyist, I know my miniatures storage options.
I also know how durable a WizKids paint job is.
I also understand that no one in their right mind would pay $189 for whatever you got when they can pay $6 and have everything stored and easily accessible.

I can think of no reason whatsoever to get a battlefoam bag for these figures. I could maybe see getting a tray, if you keep all of your gaming supplies in one big BF bag. Which is also crazy to me.

Would you mind explaining why everybody has such a hardon for BF bags? Because I've used one (for Malifaux models that actually need protection, mind you) and got rid of it within a week.




Its almost as if you think value is objective... shake shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right below that tray is just two more of the same thing with one flipped over to make a larger "box" for a bunch of bags of counters. On the very bottom are the large planet tokens, range templates, maneuver tokens, and rule books. No room for DS9/Nor class space station though. It's very messy under that nice looking tray of ships.

I'll take some more pictures tonight of both how it is now and how I had originally though to set it up. I may still go back to using the orignal deep trays for ships later if I finally get my hot wire cutter built and find foam I like to cut out the shapes.

The inside is about 15" by 8.5", so I may get a BattleFoam insert too, once I have enough ships to fill an entire level. If that works really well I can see replacing my homemade foam core trays.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Battlefoam to transport Warhammer 40K miniatures (I've actually checked them since they were too big for a flight to carry on) and no breaks.

That said, I think BF is a little too much for these particular models.

Me? My transportation solution is bead boxes from the jewelry making section of the craft store.

Behold!


They're $6 per box. I use 2 - one for the ships and 1 for my gaming aids.

And yes, I'm slowly working through repainting the ships. But I still don't think I have to baby them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
About how much did the dewalt container run you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWyant wrote:
About how much did the dewalt container run you?


$20, but there were some other similar options from other brands for less. I picked the Dewalt because the trays were removable/changeable & the containers locked together so I could expand easily.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teri, is that a Ch'Tang model I spy in your ships box?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWyant wrote:
Teri, is that a Ch'Tang model I spy in your ships box?


It is, actually. I got to do an exclusive preview of next month's OP prize pack for WizKids (I vlog for Geek & Sundry so I make videos on Youtube and only just got over to BGG).

Video is also linked in the video section for ST:AW along with a few other videos I've made for the game so far.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatTeriGirl wrote:
It is, actually. I got to do an exclusive preview of next month's OP prize pack for WizKids (I vlog for Geek & Sundry so I make videos on Youtube and only just got over to BGG).

Video is also linked in the video section for ST:AW along with a few other videos I've made for the game so far.


Awesome video! Thanks for doing it! My boys and I are very psyched for OP 2 and seeing your video blew us away... command tokens look very useful.

Btw, love your vlog style... strikes a great balance of chill yet informative. Keep up the good work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a couple more images of my packing solution.

This one is the bottom "tray" of my current arrangement, such as it is. Like I've said, it's a mess.


This one is how I had things setup until last weekend, sort of. I've tossed out the foam insert I cut up to stand the models up, but I had some left over pieces from my first attempt that I tossed in there so you could get the idea. Obviously this isn't all the bags & bits, but it should give everyone the idea. Fed cards & Fed counters were in one tray, Roms together, etc. You also see how the planets, rule books, larger maneuver templates can get damaged underneath the trays.


My eventual "final" solution will be a combination of these two. One container with trays of ships & larger cardboard and another container with all the cards, tokens, etc.

Having those little containers come out ended up working great for the OP too. I could toss everything in one of small tray, ships already on stands, all my dice, etc, and go from table to table pretty quickly. It was much easier than carrying even one of these boxes around.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
'Tis official:

http://us.battlefoam.com/star-trek-game-foam-kit/

(Just the starter box, so far.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.