Subject: How Do You Want Effects To Be Keyed? Poll Inside rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would you prefer future effects key off of, class or team?

Poll
Do you prefer effects to key off of hero class (tech, covert, etc.) or teams?
Class
Team
      16 answers
Poll created by Dam the Man

Namely my focus is on villain deck and Mastermind effects. As we get more expansions, randomizing the setup will likely result in more and more hero lineups that don't have anything specific to counter say a Master Strike. Already with just Dark City I've been seeing this. Small sample of my plays this month:

Team effects:
Mephisto: 0 Marvel Knights
Magneto: 0 X-Men
Stryfe: 0 X-Force
Kingpin: 0 Marvel Knights

Class effects:
Loki: 4/6 heroes with Strength
Doom 4/5 heroes with Tech
Sinister: 5/5 Covert heroes
Loki: 4/5 Str heroes

Granted, small samples, but constantly I'm seeing more than half the heroes matching up with Master Strike (most relevant as no Schemes yet call for a specific team) if it keys off class, but so many of the games where that effect keys off a specific team, no heroes available. With the F4 expansion giving us F4 heroes that aren't affiliated with any of the current Masterminds that key off teams, dilution in terms of teams is getting worse. Who knows what the expansion after F4 brings, maybe finally something that keys off base game's Spider Friends, but good thing LDC didn't have anything keying off that team or we'd be screwed.

Yes, not having anything to counter an effect makes things harder, but there is also an annoyance factor, knowing no matter what you recruit, that card or this (or 5 in case of Master Strikes), there is absolutely nothing you can do but face the music. Already we have Apocalypse, for whose MS there is no counter (Disaster Survivor Cable helps a little) and it's a brutal one at that. Whereas if something is keyed off hero class, you have the option of recruiting heroes of that type to possibly avoid the effect, but it might not fully suit your deck, yet you want them in there just to cancel out the effect. But at least you have a choice in the matter that way. No, you're not going to always get the right class of heroes, but with most heroes packing at least two classes (Forge and X-Men Wolverine are currently the only mono-class heroes I believe), odds are much better for getting something if keyed off class than they are for team keyed effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer effects being off both. Even if there is no other hero in a set of a particular team, they can still chain off their own cards. I really like how the heroes aren't as good without the people they usually team up with, and are stronger when they do.

I do see what you're saying with the dilution, but I think a better way around it is a different way to handle random selection at the start of games, perhaps you could randomly select what teams you're playing, then random from within that team somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm good with both class and team, but I think the number of teams needs to kept low for team keying to work well. Having two 'X' groups is already expanding it too far.

In practice, we're using a computer randomizer that increases the odds of getting 'appropriate' heroes in the mix (as well as increasing the odds of getting sets we've played less).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.