Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlikely Heroes

Not a major preview. It just goes over some basic info on investigators featuring Leo and showing three allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This preview makes the game feel mechanically a lot more like A Touch of Evil/Fortune and Glory to me than I had previously assumed it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing "crippling injury" means receiving too many Injury conditions...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like Allies and Skills got rolled up into one thing. Which is good, since they largely occupy the same role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
IMO its a great idea that if an character becomes incapacitated the player has to choose another one and the former one becomes an encounter. Very cthulhuoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you are playing 8 players and you run out of characters?

For example what if 5 of the 8 die or go insane? Do you recycle dead characters or do you have player elimination in that case?

In Arkham Horror this wasn't an issue because you have so many characters, but with only 12 it might happen in a 8 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

For example what if 5 of the 8 die or go insane? Do you recycle dead characters or do you have player elimination in that case?

In Arkham Horror this wasn't an issue because you have so many characters, but with only 12 it might happen in a 8 player game.

Maybe the players automatically lose, as in Battlestar Galactica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

The Player is eliminated. If you don't have any undefeated Investigators to choose from, what else can you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

Honestly, if this actually happens, I'm pretty sure you've lost the game already or are going to lose the game in 2-3 turns. I'm sure if you lose 2 Investigators that's a really bad sign you aren't going to win a session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Honestly, if this actually happens, I'm pretty sure you've lost the game already or are going to lose the game in 2-3 turns. I'm sure if you lose 2 Investigators that's a really bad sign you aren't going to win a session.
Hmmm... well, in our games we've had Investigators Defeated and it's not too bad: you can retrieve their stuff and retreat the Doom Track (though it increases when they are Defeated) - so you might lose a bit of time, but it might be worth it if it would take you longer to get that stuff directly yourself (or the stuff is very good). Sure, the tick of the clock drives the game to its end, but it's only Critical, not Super-Critical
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonas Albrecht wrote:
Looks like Allies and Skills got rolled up into one thing.

And items too. It's called the Asset deck. It also has some one-off effects in it, because some of the cards sit face-up, so you can 'buy' certain events to make them happen, like a charter flight from one location to another.

There's also a 'spells' pile, and a 'powerful artefacts' pile, but I think you can only get stuff from those if an encounter tells you to take a specific one.

youperguy wrote:

You start eliminating players; and if you run out of characters completely, it's game over. This happened to me in one of the 4-player games I played. We were dropping like flies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiří Petruželka
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The lost character encounter is ingenius, love it

blark wrote:
This preview makes the game feel mechanically a lot more like A Touch of Evil/Fortune and Glory to me than I had previously assumed it was.
May I ask what do you mean? I don't see any fundamental change from AH and as far as I know AToL/FaG used the same core mechanic, only with flexible success range
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corinthian_85 wrote:
There's also a 'spells' pile, and a 'powerful artefacts' pile, but I think you can only get stuff from those if an encounter tells you to take a specific one.
There are plenty of "draw an X" encounters or "draw a CLASS of X" encounters. They don't all specify the card to draw, not even for Artefacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of disappointed that the three ally cards shown are identical except for the attribute used. Was hoping for some more personality on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevej wrote:
Kind of disappointed that the three ally cards shown are identical except for the attribute used. Was hoping for some more personality on the cards.

That'll come in the expansion set's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rog wrote:
Sevej wrote:

That'll come in the expansion set's.
Well, there are five skills, so 5 Allies would account for those. But there are Allies that do more than give you a skill bonus (those are just replacements for Skill cards in that respect). I can't go grab my set to check just at the moment, but I can remember two Allies that do something very different to those that you mention and different to AH Allies too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.