United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the relevant text from an e-mail from Tasty Minstrel Games:

Quote:
We have been working on a set of Holiday Heroes for Dungeon Roll as a promo pack since the drive back from GenCon. The heroes have gone through several iterations thus far and we are approaching the day when we can present them to you.

Shown above is the first character sketch of the Sugar Plum Faerie. In the promo pack there will be 4 heroes and one punchboard of treasures:
Sugar Plum Faerie
Klaus, Saint of the North
Ebenezer, the Miser / Ebenezer, the Reformed
Jack Frost
Coal Treasures
Cake Treasures
Snowball Treasures
My favorite interactions from the Holiday Hero pack are with Klaus and Jack Frost.

Klaus starts the game with the lumps of coal treasures (which are worth zero points). Whenever he opens a treasure chest he draws treasure equal to the number of players +1. Klaus then gives one present to all of the other players out of his pool of treasures. So, yes he will get all of the best treasures and he will be able to distribute lumps of coal to those on his naughty list.

Jack Frost has an ultimate which is quite powerful, he can destroy one of each monster type. No more losing 3 party dice to the trifecta of damage (ooze + skeleton + goblin), just use Jack's ability. What is even better, he can refresh and use his ultimate again in the same delve. To do this, he will give away a snowball treasure (SNOWBALL FIGHT!) to another play of his choice. That snowball treasure can be used just like his ultimate ability to kill one of each type of non-dragon bad guys.

Don't Panic! The Sugar Plum Faerie and Ebenezer are quite cool as well, but I want to have something to tell you about in the future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Bennett-Daggett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fairly silly, but also potentially quite fun. If the price is reasonable, I will definitely give this a shot. Dungeon Roll has been a very pleasant surprise for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll deffinately pick up a copy, I love things like this, little spices for the season
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a very weird diversion before the game has established it has the legs to pull something like this off.

I guess I would have preferred a couple of actual expansions before a goof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Christmas so I'm a sucker for something like this. I'm in.

I also like the fact that they are not taking themselves too seriously. It is, after all, a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh...cute, but so far they don't actually sound very playable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

In what way? Michael's quick description isn't very in-depth, he was just giving you the gist of the characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great to me! Love the game, looking forward to some themed heroes! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea and would like to see other companies do it with their games. Summoner Wars with Santa and his Elves and Reindeer anyone?

It strikes me as fun way to freshen the game and the new characters sound great. Slightly (ever so slightly) dark versions of holiday characters we know well. I wonder if the designers were inspired at all by "Rise of the Guardians" (animated movie featuring a new angle on olde tyme holiday characters).

The Sugar Plum Faerie never looked so tough:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instabuy!

(And looking forward to Halloween 2014)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering I haven't even received my base copy of Dungeon Roll yet, my excitement is a bit tempered...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
Instabuy!

(And looking forward to Halloween 2014)

Agreed! To heck with jack frost, give me Jack-O (lantern)devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given there are still International orders yet to be received, partly as they were sent via Sweden, maybe the four heroes should be named Agnetha, Benny, Bjorn and Anni-Frid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

In what way? Michael's quick description isn't very in-depth, he was just giving you the gist of the characters.

Well, this is just going off the description given.
Santa hits 3 treasure chests and pulls out 15 treasures in a 4 player game. That's going to burn up the entire treasure pool very quickly, at which point there's no longer a point in opening chests, which ruins a major part of the game.

Frost's special ability is good...but his ability to recharge by sharing it with another player gives that player a random boost in a game with virtually no other player interaction. "Hey, you, you get a bunch of points because I feel like it!"
It also makes turn order very important, since if Frost is going later he can use his snowball without actually helping another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Well, this is just going off the description given.
Santa hits 3 treasure chests and pulls out 15 treasures in a 4 player game. That's going to burn up the entire treasure pool very quickly, at which point there's no longer a point in opening chests, which ruins a major part of the game.

I see where you are coming from. If it helps, Michael wasn't very specific - Klaus draws N extra treasures at the end of a Loot phase in which he opened ANY chests (not for every single chest he opens). This only matters if he's opening multiple chests per level, if it's singleton chests then that's the same as "for every chest he opens."

Also, there are 12 new treasures, though 3 of the characters start with them... Snowballs, Coal, Cake, and also Gift treasures (which Mike didn't mention). So there are a few more treasure tokens in the game (when Cake or Snowballs are used, they'll go back into the chest).

Finally, if there's no treasure in the chest, then you get XP instead (that's what the rules say in the case there's no treasure left).

Quote:
Frost's special ability is good...but his ability to recharge by sharing it with another player gives that player a random boost in a game with virtually no other player interaction. "Hey, you, you get a bunch of points because I feel like it!"

Generally you'd give the snowball to the player doing the worst, I would imagine. In that case, you get the benefit, they get 1 point (or use of a Snowball), and all other players get nothing. In general that's a good deal, and many euro games are based on mutually beneficial trades like that.

Quote:
It also makes turn order very important, since if Frost is going later he can use his snowball without actually helping another player.

The other player will score 1 xp at the end of the game for having a Snowball treasure. So it still helps them.

These characters are still in development, and it's completely possible that Jack Frost's Ultimate ability will end up stronger than a Snowball ability, in which case you're not giving away quite as much as you're getting back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications Seth. Santa's ability doesn't sound as bad in that case.

Quote:
Finally, if there's no treasure in the chest, then you get XP instead (that's what the rules say in the case there's no treasure left).

Ah, true, I had forgotten that. But...that's still pretty boring.

Quote:
In general that's a good deal, and many euro games are based on mutually beneficial trades like that.

Games based on mutually beneficial trades like that are generally based on LOTS of opportunities like that. Prior to these characters, Dungeon Roll is just a hair short of totally non-interactive. There's no "trade". There's just, "You, get a big bonus because I decided you should get a big bonus".

Wiping out up to three monsters (or does it have to be exactly one of each type?) is a really big deal, potentially saving you 3 dice which is easily a few levels of delving.

Quote:
I would imagine. In that case, you get the benefit, they get 1 point (or use of a Snowball), and all other players get nothing. In general that's a good deal...

My complaint wasn't that it's bad for Jack, but that it's good for one random player for no reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Seabrook
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also leery of these characters adding direct interaction between players.
As I've said before, our group plays the game as more of a co-op game exactly because you aren't doing anything to thwart each other. We can kinda keep track of how well we all did as sort of an adventuring group, while giving props to the one who made off with the most loot. (They'll be buying the ale after all.)

Now, Santa's and Frost's abilities seem like you may be able to make good use of them while working with your fellow delvers. (Santa: Here ya go Archaeologist, hold onto this coal... you're gonna have to discard it later anyhow.)

I'd just be concerned about potential abilities on future heroes being focused on hosing the other players. I suppose, depending on the experience your group wishes to have, you may simply choose to not use those heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These would be ideal as a free hirez download from the files section. A gift to all merry adventurers, and a good promo to give more value to buying the $15 game. Solved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
How will the distribution of these promos be handled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cogito
msg tools
Have you thought about creating a online store at TMG? Finding a Dungeon Roll in UK is a "little" difficult, so I don't think that upcoming Holiday Heroes and Legends Booster will be easily available here in near future. I wouldn't like to wait for next DR kickstarter to get them, and fighting for overpriced addons on ebay is not really an option. I would rather buy it directly from you, along with a few copies of base game for friends that really liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Any idea on how we'd go about buying this promo pack when they become available?
Will they be sold at some of the major online shops (like cool stuff inc)?
I'm not extremely interested in this...but it is something I would pick up for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a thing which I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry (Leroy) Capasso
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope these guys are at BGG CON with this promo pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
From the TMG e-mail newsletter:
Quote:

Dungeon Roll Winter Promo
We have finished up the design work and illustrations for the Dungeon Roll Winter Promo pack. It is currently with Kickstarter for approval to start the campaign, and we expect to be starting that campaign shortly.

The promo pack will include 4 new legendary heroes and 12 new treasures (4 different types). We also have an idea for the project which is meant to make this as a way that we can thank the fans of Dungeon Roll...

We will be running the project as a pay-what-you-want project with minimum thresholds which will keep us from losing money. Normally, a promo like this would be $5, but we want to thank the fans of Dungeon Roll and give them some additional fun gameplay to be had with their friends and family.

Look forward to this launch on Kickstarter soon. It will not be up for very long on Kickstarter, so be ready for another email to come in the next handful of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.