Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
One thing that's been preoccupying me recently when playing is how some cards are so good as to almost give an extra power to a character or team and there is never any real threat of losing them. I'm thinking of cards you will never discard from your deck at the end of the game. Things like:

Holy candle: It effectively buys you more more time for every single game you play from here to eternity once you acquire it. Surely it would be better to have to banish the card to use it, rather than bury? Then players would be forced to only use it when they really need to and it would also have a cost of sitting there clogging their hand unless they use it. But the team may need that time so we can't discard it... much more interesting. Also, it makes more sense thematically: I mean, is this a never ending candle or what?!

Thieves Tools / Master tools: I can just automatically defeat a barrier with it? Well, there's never that many of them in a given scenario and a lot of them are just to summon monsters or caches to acquire loot... that means those perilous pit traps / runes / whatever aren't bugging us very often. Just chuck a tool kit at it. Now, if we had to banish the thieves tools to defeat a trap (and maybe discard to evade) then we would either have to acquire more tool kits or pass checks more often to defeat the barriers... much more interesting.

Father Zantus: He's awesome for a magic user; in particular Seoni, as she can discard cards to use her energy blasts a bit more freely, knowing Father Zantus can always give her a bit of a recharge. But you can never lose him (unless you choose to banish him at Sandpoint cathedral - pretty dumb move really)... okay, that's a part of powering up, but having this card permanently, effectively giving a permanent healing ability to the character, takes away some of the strategic interest of playing that character. Now, if the wise old man would bestow his recharging gift once, before enigmatically shuffling away (being banished) and reappearing again at some future date (being acquired again in some future scenario) then it would be much more interesting... and again, you'd think twice before using him for that purpose.

Now, I know I can always house rule any of this, so there's no need to point that out. But I'm asking if anyone else feels the game could be improved with a little more card banishing. The above examples are just the first ones off the top of my head, there are others I feel could be changed. Which cards do other people feel would be better as one use (at least, one use of its most powerful effect)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert on balance but keep in kind that as the adventure paths progress the items will become more and more powerful. So not all the items will be equally powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought about it, but you may be on to something. I totally agree with the candle and Father Zantus. For the thieves tools, I suggest adding a check to retain them; otherwise they break. That way there is a chance your next use of them is your last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
you make a good point about the candles... i disagree about the tools since its rare you have them in your hand if and when you encounter the barriers. The father is really just a non recharging cure so no major issue there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sets of thieve's tools are highly situational so can't say they seem all that bad; standard tools don't stick around too long generally, a Mastertool though, yes please.

Rarely does one more turn really help all that much, so holy candle is also very situational, seems fine to me.

Zantus is always welcome in my decks, though I rarely use his heal; I find his recharge ability far more useful.

This game seems to have a running theme with the design; situational cards are quite powerful, but good luck getting them used.

I dig it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the candle is nice, but when you bury it and guff on the roll and get a 1, you've effectively just taken a permanent hit point off that character for nothing, in that scenario. It is a bit powerful in a solo/2 player game, but honestly you probably don't need to be recharging the blessing deck all that often, anyway. Once you have 4 or more players though, you're essentially only giving each player one extra turn, which isn't THAT powerful, but can help make the difference to win when it comes down to the nitty gritty, and that's the whole point of it.

I think it's quite fine without having to be banished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.