Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I like the cute flavorful tie between Fenris and Tyr's Hand but I am struggling to see any mechanical connection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One bad pub for a 2-strength sentry? Ehhh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
I like the cute flavorful tie between Fenris and Tyr's Hand but I am struggling to see any mechanical connection.

Because there isn't one?
A huge thematic connection isn't enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Skylar114 wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Because there isn't one?

A huge thematic connection is plenty. But it is nice when theme is married with mechanics and I think it's a missed opportunity in this case.

See also: why it is disappointing that Grimoire is Whizzard's console and not Noise's, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Skylar114 wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Because there isn't one?

A huge thematic connection is plenty. But it is nice when theme is married with mechanics and I think it's a missed opportunity in this case.

See also: why it is disappointing that Grimoire is Whizzard's console and not Noise's, etc.

Ten dozen amens to that. It's quite hard to overestimate how neat it feels when the theme marries the mechanics in surprising and clever ways (in addition to obvious ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Skylar114 wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Because there isn't one?

The only way I can think of making Fenris mechanically linked is if it were a runner card that hard-countered Tyr's hand. I prefer having them both as HB cards, thematically tying all of the Norse mythology in one faction.

Now the Whizzard/Noise/Grimoire argument is a different matter, since they ARE all in the same faction...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, how about this: Bioroids are orderly, predictable, and directive-bound; in short, ideal subjects of the Norse god of law. If, on the other hand, you try using him to defend a server guarded with illicit ice, you probably won't have anything to show for your trouble except one fewer Tyr's hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now ask me to explain why he won't work with Rototurrets either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdanuser wrote:
Bioroid 86 wrote:

Bah! Who reads those sub forums? >.>

I subscribe to the A:NR family entry, which automatically subscribes to children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
mdanuser wrote:
Bioroid 86 wrote:

I subscribe to the A:NR family entry, which automatically subscribes to children.

I did that once and was overwhelmed with the number of notifications. Guess I'll try it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:

You're thinking about it all wrong. One bad pub for the ability to do brain damage turn 1. That's solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teky Teky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
vantageGT wrote:
MavericK96 wrote:

You're thinking about it all wrong. One bad pub for the ability to do brain damage turn 1. That's solid.

And you are also NOT getting one pub just for the fear the opponent have about you having the possibility of getting one BP in order to deal 1 brain damage turn 1...

I think this card can change a lot of metas around... now facecheking a katana is the best scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silent Requiem
msg tools
Flatline decks would love to run this, but I am not sure where they will find the influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
MavericK96 wrote:

I was thinking the same, but just how many sentries actually have a straight ETR routine?

Don't most sentries rely on a trace to ETR?

I'm not overwhelmed by Fenris, but I reckon HB do not have very many ETR ice that can't just be clicked through so I guess Fenris could potentially fill a niche.

...maybe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's perfect for a rush deck. It has etr on a sentry and the brain damage isn't pleasent (and might grab a good card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2097 wrote:
I kind of only want to use it with other damage (not necessarily brain) cards.
A lone BP hurts the corp more than a lone brain damage.

Agreed, It's a high price to pay without any way to capitalise on the damage, and since a single brain damage makes no practical difference to scorched earth decks I can't see it getting much love outside of Jinteki or oddball Sentinel Defence Program based HB unless we get another easy source of 1 point of brain. I suppose you could hope to use it after the runner has popped a stimhack, but chances are they're only using one if they've got breakers out to pay for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ van der Molen
Malaysia
georgetown
penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the above is true at all,

A single Brain damage can be quite annoying. Especially since you can revive low strength ice with a corp trouble shooter to do a second or even third brain damage.

also I bet you that if you play against an aggressive criminal that after running into this with a face check he wont dare running until he finds a sentry breaker.

This normally means at least 2 turns of respite and if you have a small server with a money asset behind it you can get just enough time to get your money out. Not running as much means less use of desperado's ability and that will bring the corp even more respite.

I think 4 creds is fair as 3 creds would mean you could have 2 of these babies out in the first turn. That would be way to broken. The bad pub is quite fair too. It will set the runner back about 5-11 creds based on what breaker they use. More if they need to tutor for it. If you can remove Bad Pub (which seems like its going to happen for all corps) that is a good trade.

man a corp with 4 creds is scary nowadays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Skylar114 wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Because there isn't one?

Fenris is a Bioroid. However, he is too feral (or whatever) to be controlled, thus biting off Tyr's hand and losing his "Bioroid" trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Ebolahond wrote:

also I bet you that if you play against an aggressive criminal that after running into this with a face check he wont dare running until he finds a sentry breaker.

On the contrary, as an aggressive Criminal, I WANT to see Fenris early. Against Jinteki/Weyland/NBN, that means two or three fewer Archers/SE/Overwriters. Against HB I'm not too concerned about flatlining anyways, and I have a Feedback Filter just in case. Forcing an early BP is monumental, and one brain damage is easy to play around. Katana is still the best anti-facecheck card out there, as the odds of trashing something I need is huge, and I can't afford that early game tempo loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebolahond wrote:

FWIW, finding a sentry breaker in a deck with Faerie, Crypsis, Mimic, and a 9-card starting hand hasn't proven difficult to me at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mdanuser wrote:
Bioroid 86 wrote:

I check them twice a month, on the 1st and 15th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.