Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
72 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Repaints? Gimme PREQUELS! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Repaints? So soon? Are there no plans to do prequel material? If FFG does prequel models for this game, I'm there.

I can think of eight ships that could be done in two waves that I think would be great to see in X-Wing games:

Wave A:
Naboo N-1 Starfighter (It has real a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers retro feel.)
Naboo Royal Starship (I like its SR-71 Blackbird lines.)
Vulture Droid (A mainstay from the blockade of Naboo through the assault on Coruscant.)
Sith Infiltrator (We can have the fun that Darth Maul never had with this.)

Wave B:
Delta-7 Starfighter (I'll bet two could stand up to Slave 1)
Jedi Interceptor (A very nimble and speedy craft.)
ARC-170 (You could even fly it against the Jedi Interceptor.)
Droid Tri-Fighter (If a Droideka could fly, it might look like this.)

I can't be the only one out there who'd like to see these on the table! What other prequel ships would players like to see?


14 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:

I can't be the only one out there who'd like to see these on the table! What other prequel ships would players like to see?


Yep, you are the only one.
57 
 Thumb up
2.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the words of N.W.A. "Fuck the prequels."

I'd much rather see more expanded universe stuff like the E-wing, TIE Defender, XG1 StarWing Gunboat, Chiss Claw fighters, even uglies. You could do a lot with those mixing and matching parts.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Frizzell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
I can't be the only one out there who'd like to see these on the table! What other prequel ships would players like to see?


You're not! Although I recognize that the prequel movies are not as good as the sequels, I am a big fan of some of the ship designs. Particularly from your list would be the Vulture Droid and the ARC Fighter. I'm not the biggest fan of the big ships, but I would definitely buy some of the smaller ships from the prequels. I know I would rather have them than some of the more obscure EU ships.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
In the words of N.W.A. "Fuck the prequels."

I'd much rather see more expanded universe stuff like the E-wing, TIE Defender, XG1 StarWing Gunboat, Chiss Claw fighters, even uglies. You could do a lot with those mixing and matching parts.


Wow. Ready to bump this into RSP so soon?

Keep it cool...if you can!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjasan8 wrote:
Particularly from your list would be the Vulture Droid and the ARC Fighter. I'm not the biggest fan of the big ships, but I would definitely buy some of the smaller ships from the prequels. I know I would rather have them than some of the more obscure EU ships.


Agreed. The Vulture Droid, ARC-170, Jedi Interceptor, and Tri-Fighter would be a good wave on its own.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
they could do it (I suppose if they get the license) but I wouldn't buy it...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade C.
United States
CAPE GIRARDEAU
MO - Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I personally wouldn't be that excited about prequel ships, I'm sure there certainly is a market for them. What I see as the problem that would prevent it from happening is the game's clear, strong focus on the Galactic Civil War setting. I mean, X-Wing is even in the name, which kind of limits your time period. I foresee more EU ships (a la the Moldy Crow) and, unfortunately, probably more than our fair share of repainted ships with new cards. Either that or more time between waves to space out what they have left.

I could also possibly see them doing something like a spinoff game based in the prequel era at some point in the future (an expansion doesn't seem like enough, since there'd only be one wave with an expansion) so they could keep the flavor of each setting intact (though players could obviously choose to mix and match) and get people to buy ships for two games instead of just one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A new game covering the prequels that's compatible with X-Wing sounds good to me. Prequel fans get their models. OT-and-after fans don't have to worry.

I always took the "X-Wing" title to mean Star Wars starfighter combat covering the movies in toto. It didn't hit me till later that it may may be a direct reference to the video game and all the EU material that it opens up. I haven't got into any of that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade C.
United States
CAPE GIRARDEAU
MO - Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mean the X-Wing video games (though they were awesome and that series needs to be rebooted), just that in the SW universe, X-wings didn't exist until the time between Eps. III and IV (as I recall), so anything set prior to that would be awkwardly named/themed. If they'd named the game something like "Star Wars: Starfighter Miniatures Game" it would have been less confusing to integrate other eras. I'm kind of surprised they didn't do that, actually, given how much of SW continuity falls outside of the Civil War timeframe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A funny picture depicting what the stocks of X-Wing miniatures would look like if prequel ships were ever introduced.

17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps, though I think the term "X-Wing" is pretty evocative for a lot of folks who don't care about games, video or otherwise. If you saw Star Wars once and enjoyed it, it's hard to forget what an X-Wing is. That's why I figured it was a catch-all for starfighter combat in all the movies.

jigmelingpa: You need to add another Slave 1 box to your comic. That ship is not quite as popular as the Falcon. If my FLGS is any guide...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Prequels? What prequels?

I think I'd remember if there'd been prequels . . .
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
COMPNOR wrote:
In the words of N.W.A. "Fuck the prequels."

I'd much rather see more expanded universe stuff like the E-wing, TIE Defender, XG1 StarWing Gunboat, Chiss Claw fighters, even uglies. You could do a lot with those mixing and matching parts.


Wow. Ready to bump this into RSP so soon?

Keep it cool...if you can!


Really? You think that is enough to get it into RSP?? Have you been to RSP? What I said was mild.

shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto: Surely, you remember them. Even Darth Vader had a mother. And a loving wife/girlfriend...so he could tell Luke that he's his father and not have to lie. And so Luke could say "I know there's good in you" and have it mean something when Vader decides to throw his Master (the Emporer) down the well. To bring balance to the Force. Yes?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Thisson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Prequels? Please no. So lame.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
I have to say I would buy an ARC 170, though. I think those were really cool, and of the ships in the prequel, I always thought it looked the most like it could fit in amongst the original trilogy ships.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peequel quality aside...
The designers have said that xwing is a rebellion era game. So don't hold your breath.
However, a Star Wars starfighter game that is set earlier is not off the table (as it does not make what they said untrue). I agree a comparable second line is the way to go.
But a much as I like Jedi starfighters- I don't want them under my xwing line of products. Keep it seperate (except for crazy home brew games).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krumlauf
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those movies do not exist for me. The first prequel model release is the moment I stop buying releases.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
I dunno, some of the prequel ships are pretty cool. ARC-170, V-wing, General Grevious' ship (even though we dont see it fight) stand out and are pretty cool imo.

I can see them doing them eventually, tho not any time soon. Like kicking them off with a stand alone expansion.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ar Phanad
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Really? Repaints? So soon? Are there no plans to do prequel material? If FFG does prequel models for this game, I'm there.

I can think of eight ships that could be done in two waves that I think would be great to see in X-Wing games:

Wave A:
Naboo N-1 Starfighter (It has real a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers retro feel.)
Naboo Royal Starship (I like its SR-71 Blackbird lines.)
Vulture Droid (A mainstay from the blockade of Naboo through the assault on Coruscant.)
Sith Infiltrator (We can have the fun that Darth Maul never had with this.)

Wave B:
Delta-7 Starfighter (I'll bet two could stand up to Slave 1)
Jedi Interceptor (A very nimble and speedy craft.)
ARC-170 (You could even fly it against the Jedi Interceptor.)
Droid Tri-Fighter (If a Droideka could fly, it might look like this.)

I can't be the only one out there who'd like to see these on the table! What other prequel ships would players like to see?


I'm with you. I even like the lineup for the waves you've suggested, although you'd probably want a Sep ship for Wave B instead of maybe the Jedi Interceptor (assuming that's the Eta-2). I also think it should be, more or less, a separate game. Not separate enough to be incompatible with X-Wing, but separate enough to quiet the haters.

Here's my suggestion for, like, a bunch of waves:

Core set:
1x Naboo N-1 Starfighter
2x Vulture Droid

Wave A:
Delta-7 Starfighter
Scarab-class Droid Starfighter
Naboo Royal Starship
Star Courier/Sith Infiltrator

Wave B:
V-19 Torrent
ARC-170 Starfighter
Droid Tri-Fighter
Hyena-class Droid Bomber

Wave C:
Eta-2 Interceptor (Jedi)
Nu-class Attack Shuttle
Nantex-class Territorial Defense Starfighter (Geonosian fighter)
Belbullab-22 Starfighter (Grievous' heavy starfighter)

Wave D:
Alpha-3 Nimbus-class V-wing Starfighter
BTL-B Y-Wing (Clone-era Y-Wing)
Porax-38 Starfighter
Slave I (Jango Fett paint)

I'd love to see repaints at some point too, like the blue N-1 or the CIS-styled Vultures.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
ohbalto: Surely, you remember them. Even Darth Vader had a mother. And a loving wife/girlfriend...so he could tell Luke that he's his father and not have to lie. And so Luke could say "I know there's good in you" and have it mean something when Vader decides to throw his Master (the Emporer) down the well. To bring balance to the Force. Yes?


Doesn't ring a bell. Sounds awful, though. Hope they never make that crap into a movie.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't remember exactly who said it but I agree with this quote 100%

"I dont want to play a game and find my opponent flying little kid Anakin alongside his grown-up son, fighting against his future self in a Tie"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I think it would be a fantastic idea to do Clone era ships. X-wing is a great game and as seen by the release of Attack Wing, adaptable to other ships types and Universes. I'm not going to complain if a game company wants to produce high quality game miniatures for me to play with. I could almost guarantee that everyone who says they don't want Clone era ships will still buy them and play them in X-wing or some different version of X-wing. Hell, I would like to see them go way back an produce ships from the Mandalorian and Sith war periods.
devil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ar Phanad
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shazbot wrote:
I can't remember exactly who said it but I agree with this quote 100%

"I dont want to play a game and find my opponent flying little kid Anakin alongside his grown-up son, fighting against his future self in a Tie"


I think you're safe enough. I expect FFG will make a prequel-era game at some point, I am hoping for some degree of compatibility (mostly for game pieces and familiarity) but it will never be tournament legal to field both eras at once.

It's no problem for you guys, either, to just not buy it. It will probably be made, but it will never be a part of the X-Wing metagame.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.