Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] [View All]
Bruce Lavoie
United States
Concord
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been running a house variant on Outpost for a couple of months and so far it seems to be working out fairly well.

First we remove both the 1 Ore and 4 Water cards. This shifts the average values up about half a point but prevents someone from getting totally hosed. Some think they should be shuffled back in after the first time through each deck. We didn't take the corresponding 5 Ore and 10 Water cards out but nobody seems to mind that too much.

Heavy Equipment - Cost 45 but comes with a Titanium plant. This has had the desired effect. In our earlier games one or 2 players might go for titanium but the rest of the Heavy Equipment cards simply sat in the initial offering until the game ended. By giving the card/plant discount it seems that it is always in someone's best interest to snag one even in era II to get discounts on the Outpost. It is also at our target price of about $15/VP. It also gets the Titanium strategy going about 1 turn sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rest of the heavy equipment cards sat there until the end of the game? With the people I've played with, that would never happen.

Removing the low value ore or water cards sounds interesting, at least for the first go through of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone that has never played, can you share what the desired impact of removing those ore cards for first run through the deck is?

Is it related to the often cited rich gets richer issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems odd that it occurs at all. It sounds like your playgroup has settled into some pattern where they don't value card properly. I'd be VERY interested to see a video of your playgroup at work.

Dante- RE: 'rich getting richer'. That's what the Cone Of Shame counter [1st place Player counter] is for. To alert everybody to watch out for That Player. I like the the idea of the Alternate Turn Order cards better - will be testing them out during the next few months at Northern California cons and will come back here to report. Created these on TGC, and just got mine last week. Here's a pic -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.