Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I ran into a situation I couldn't find a definitive answer for today. My son and I were playing the first scenario of Burnt Offerings.

Sandpoint Cathedral
When Closing: Banish either a blessing or Father Zantus.

Here's the stupid question. Where does the banished card come from? Only your hand? Or from buried/discarded cards as well? I would assume it comes from your hand, but...

Town Square:
When Closing: Banish a card from your hand.

The Town Square specifies your hand. Sandpoint Cathedral does not. I know how to banish, that's clear in the rules, but I can't find in the rules, BGG, or Paizo forums where you can banish cards from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured. The cards are generally precisely worded as to their intent, so one being vaguer than the other is strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akolotu Moeloa
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cush1978 wrote:
Here's the stupid question. Where does the banished card come from? Only your hand? Or from buried/discarded cards as well? I would assume it comes from your hand, but...

I think you bring up an interesting point. My initial assumption was that you banish cards from your hand, but after reviewing the FAQ and the rule book, nothing specifies that banished cards MUST come from your hand (unless the card says so).

Perhaps this should be brought to Paizo for clarification?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Banish is one way of playing a card. Other ways are Reveal, Discard, Bury, etc.

"Playing a card" is something you do from your hand. If you read the section on "Playing A Card" on page 10 of the rules, there should be no doubt that playing a card means playing it from your hand in one of those many ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you banish a card to fuel some other effect - you're not playing it.
Thats why you can't recharge a card when you discard it as a cost of some other game effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So every other card/rule states from your hand, but just because in this one case it doesn't, that must be the exception from the rule? Why not banish it from the Blessings deck? You know there are blessings in there. Or how about check all the location decks and find a blessing there.

Nothing in your logic or the rules of the game allows you to make the assumption that you can pull it from the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some of the other posts on here. I've seen questions asked that are easily answered by the rulebook. I've seen less than polite responses as well.

I searched the FAQ, the Paizo forums, and the BGG forums before asking my question. If you want to contribute, feel free and thanks to the people who have contributed. If you want to deride other people contributing to the topic, find another topic.

Here's what the rulebook says on page 10:

Quote:
Playing Cards
Playing a card means activating a card's power by revealing, displaying, discarding, recharging, burying, or banishing the card.

In this particular instance, I'm not activating a card's power. I'm paying the cost to attempt to close a location. For the truly pedantic, it could be argued that I'm activating a power of the location card even though the location is not part of my hand.

In general, I would agree that cards used to pay the cost of another card should come from your hand. The only other places I would consider (since their contents are public) would be the displayed, discarded, and buried cards. In all those cases, the cost is the same; you're losing a blessing from your character deck.

I'm assuming that "...from your hand" is implied and would probably be made errata if needed, but figured it was worth asking since I had two locations out in front of me and only one of them specified your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.