Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about getting this, but wondering if this game has been outdated by better ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New: Everything is outdated by the Cult of the New. The only relevant games are the ones that haven't come out yet.

Old: Outdated? When did games start coming with an expiration date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
kaziam wrote:
New: Everything is outdated by the Cult of the New. The only relevant games are the ones that haven't come out yet.

The general implication is that the game, while good, has been surpassed by newer games that took it's good parts and improved on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esin wrote:
kaziam wrote:
New: Everything is outdated by the Cult of the New. The only relevant games are the ones that haven't come out yet. :p

The general implication is that the game, while good, has been surpassed by newer games that took it's good parts and improved on them.

Yes what he said. Well, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
Thinking about getting this, but wondering if this game has been outdated by better ones.

We seem to be in a golden age of worker placement games. So many great ones out there.

But great is great, and time should NOT diminish that greatness except in the minds of folks ensnared by Cult of the New.

In other words, if you get Pillars of the Earth, you'll likely love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Odds are you can find someone or somewhere with a copy of this you can try. The best way to know if it's worth owning for you is to play it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No. Not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is pretty mediocre, always was. Stone Age is a much better medium weight euro. Pillars of the earth was greatly improved by The Pillars of the Earth: Expansion Set, but unfortunately the expansion is out of print and is selling for close to $100 these days. Maybe I should sell my copy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say we liked Pillars base game a lot and really do like the expansion as well, but didn't think it turned something bad to good. I would say it is still one of my fav worker placements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Still probably one of the best worker placement games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars is the worst kind of game. It's mostly good, but annoyingly capricious. Life's too short to play annoying games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like there's a lot of choice when it comes to worker placement games. Why not check out some of the newer games (as well as Caylus, an older game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Pillars is not the worker placement but the fact there is excessive randomness that cannot be planned against and can completely frustrate the player's strategy. There is more randomness in the game than Catan. Newer worker placements are better games because of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I quite like the game, especially when playing with 'casual' gamers who don't consider it as complex as other games I tried with them. But on the other hand, I was told from several people that if you don't own Pillars yet, rather go for World Without End. I never tested it myself though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Myoman wrote:

For me? No. It's not my favorite of the genre - and it's not a genre I'm overly fond of - but it's well above the "should I keep this" line. As others have noted, there a large random element, which may or may not bother you; if you think it likely to, I'd probably opt for a different game.

FWLIW, the worker placement games I enjoy, favorite to least (but still above the keep line):

Le Havre
Pillars of the Earth
Snowdonia
Spyrium
Tzolk'in
Targi

(Trajan is listed as worker placement on BGG, but I disagree. Spyrium isn't, but I feel it should be, so I included it above. It doesn't look like that short a list, but given how much I've disliked many games in the genre, it feels more like a mechanism to be wary of for me than one to embrace...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Kapuno
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Newer games will most of the time be better than the older games they were derived from. This is inevitable. This is progress.

There will be individuals who will cling to the old ways/games, but they are a minority. As the old gamers fade away and the new ones take over, what games do you think they will be playing?

As for any rule there are a few exceptions like chess, go, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
When did games start coming with an expiration date?

More to the point, when did games less than ten years old suddenly become beyond their newly-assigned expiration date?

Pillars of the Earth is a great game, and the capriciousness of the turn order is THE thing that Pillars has that other Worker Placement dirges don't -- some excitement and emotion in the play.

If you're looking to compare IQs with your buddies it's not the best choice. If you're looking for a game where you get to press your luck a little it's about the best one in the genre. Pillars has some personality.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue with Pillars was that when it came time to place a worker, there was usually one spot that was far and away a better choice than any other spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
My issue with Pillars was that when it came time to place a worker, there was usually one spot that was far and away a better choice than any other spot.

Welcome to Worker Placement.

Nexus Ops has a similar issue, but anyone who wants to can show up with the bestest and the mostest and take it.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
. . . I was told from several people that if you don't own Pillars yet, rather go for World Without End. I never tested it myself though.

I own and enjoy both games. Unlike what one might expect given that the themes are based on novels by the same author, the games are quite different from each other.

As to the OP's original question, I don't think Pillars of the Earth is outdated. It was and remains an excellent game in its own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really interested in this thread since I just ordered The Pillars of the Earth over the weekend. It should be here today or tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I don't mind the randomness in Pillars (because there is a trade-off to getting to place first: you have to pay more), but I thought the stuff you do in it was really uninteresting. The different resource types don't seem qualitatively different...

I felt World Without End (the sequel by the same designers) was a lot more interesting

edit: and if you want a lighter Caylus-like game I much prefer Santiago de Cuba, also by Rieneck, to Pillars...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't even especially great when it came out.
Indeed, there are many games now scratching the same itch, but in a much better way, e.g. Village
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people think that capriciousness is exaclty what is missing from many worker placement games.

For me though, it's theme. Worker placement games tend to seem more similar than they are different, unless you are into collecting a lot of them. So I tend to judge newer ones by if they do theme better (and if they manage get beyond the making everything a cube).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Pillars multiple times back when it was first released and really liked it. But I didn't pick it up because I thought maybe something better (and a little shorter) would come out that I might play more.

I finally picked up my own copy of Pillars a couple of months ago because it has held up that well for me. It has a flow to it that works really well. I still prefer it to most worker placement games. There are many I'm happy to play but few I felt were worth picking up myself. The only ones I actually own are Caylus Magna Carta (which I strongly prefer to Caylus), The Pillars of the Earth and A Castle for All Seasons (which has worker placement but has a very different feel to it).

If you like Pillars, I'd say pick it up. It definitely doesn't feel any older now than it did when it was new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.