John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quest 1, Stage 2 reads:

When Revealed: The first player searches the encounter deck and discard pile for a Black Rider, reveals it (cannot be canceled), and adds it to the staging area. Shuffle the encounter deck.

When a player makes a Hide test, add 1 to the total for each ally that player controls.

When a player fails a Hide test, each Nazgul enemy in the staging area engages that player. (Trigger Forced effects after resolving this effect.)

Black Rider reads:

Hide 2. Cannot have non-Morgul attachments.

Forced: After engaged player fails a Hide test, Black Rider makes an immediate attack.

Question 1: When I head to Shortcut to Mushrooms, I search for a Black Rider. I must search the encounter deck first, correct? Or is it my choice?

Question 2: When I head to Shortcut to Mushrooms, since I reveal the Black Rider, I must immediately make my Hide 2 test, correcT?

Question 3: If I fail that hide test, the Rider engages and his Forced effect means he immediately attacks. If this happened during questing, does he also attack a second time during the combat phase?

Question 4: Since Ringbearer Frodo cancels the effects of an encounter card, he may be used to cancel surges, Dooms, and Hide tests, right? But am I right in saying he may not cancel a Peril card if that card was dealt to a player other than Frodo's controller?

Sorry for all the questions: I love this expansion, but there are a lot of new rules interactions here...

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer is yes to all that.

Edit: it is your choice to choose encounter, discard pile or both. I always pull enemies from encounter deck though, that way i will not have to face them later.

I wondered about question 2, but it does say reveal and add, so the reveal is triggering the hide test. If failed he will engage and attack. You will still have to face an attack during the encounter phase too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
I don't have Black Riders yet, but from what I know from previous rulings:

1. Whenever it tells you to search Encounter Deck and Discard Pile, both piles are searched simultaneously. So you have choice of pulling a monster from either pile, and you must shuffle encounter deck even if you chose the monster from discard pile.

3. Enemy still makes regular attack during combat phase regardless of number of additional attacks it made from card effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Denison
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does a Hide check need to be made in 1A when the first Black Rider is added to the staging area in setup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denison wrote:
Does a Hide check need to be made in 1A when the first Black Rider is added to the staging area in setup?

No, during set up it just says add to staging area, so none of the keywords on the Nazgul trigger, thankfully. If that were the case the One Ring would be safely in Mordor at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Jones
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 4: Since Ringbearer Frodo cancels the effects of an encounter card, he may be used to cancel surges, Dooms, and Hide tests, right? But am I right in saying he may not cancel a Peril card if that card was dealt to a player other than Frodo's controller?

Can Surge and Doom be cancelled? I know the card can but I thought certain keywords like surge and Doom cannot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your instinct is right: Frodo using the Ring CANCELS everything on that card. It's just gone. However, if a Peril card is not dealt to Frodo's controller, he may not cancel it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.