Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My Very First Round of Mage Knight! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So I just played my very first round of Mage Knight. After a couple weeks of preparation, reading and watching and listening to everything I could, making my own plethora of notes, even writing a little program I can run on my laptop as I play to help me with things like the end of turn/round steps, analyzing enemy tokens, reminders of what to put down every time I explore, and so forth. Since I don’t have a friend to play this with, I’m sticking to the solo game. In fact, that’s primarily why I bought the game, because of its strong solo action.

Anyway, I thought—why not create a mini one-round detailed session report of my first round. Not that I expect anyone to be interested enough to wade through this, but if someone does and can point out any mistakes I made in terms of rules or strategy, so much the better! But really, I’m not expecting! :)

TURN 1
I’m playing with Tovak and the Dummy Player is playing with Norowas. For my first hand, I drew Stamina, Concentration, Improvisation, Threaten, and Mana Draw. My source consists of Yellow, White, and Green mana dice. I started by playing Concentration, strengthened with a green mana die, playing Improvisation along side of it, which gives me the strong effect on Improvisation+2. I’ll use that to get Move 7. I followed that with Mana Draw to use one additional mana die for free. I put the yellow die on Stamina to get Move 4 for a total of Move 11.

I used that 11 by moving to the green space to the right of my hero for 2, then onto a hill space for 5, to another green space for 7, to land on the Village for 9. With the last 2 points, I explored and revealed tile G3 (as was suggested for the first game, I’m playing the tiles in order). I advance 1 on the Fame Track. I placed a gray token on the keep face down.

My turn’s over so I discard the 4 cards I played and re-rolled the 2 mana die I played. Then I flipped 3 cards for the dummy player, no matching crystal (2 white and 1 green crystal on Norowas).

TURN 2
I now have 2 Swiftness cards, Rage, Threaten, and Crystallize. I’m going to play Crystallize and activate it with a blue mana die to gain a crystal of any color to my Inventory. I took red. Next, I’m playing Threaten and adding the red crystal to it (I didn’t have a red mana die which is why I just did what I did) to get Influence 5 since I’m sitting on a Village. Because of that, I’ll be reducing Reputation by 1.

I’m aiming to take the Northern Monks unit, which is sitting in the offer with 2 Herbalists. Next, I’m playing Swiftness and Rage sideways to get the 7 Influence I need to recruit it.

After a couple minutes of thinking and planning, I realize I have to revert the entire turn because Northern Monks can’t be recruited at a Village, only at a Mage Tower. So back everything goes.

Take 2: I’m going to play Threaten for Influence 2 and 1 Swiftness sideways to get to Influence 3. With that, I’m recruiting an Herbalist from the Village. That ends my turn.

I draw 3 cards for the Dummy Player and only now I remember that I forgot to draw Tactics Cards. No time like the present! I’m taking Great Start and drawing 2 more cards. I shuffle and draw 4-Planning so he should have gone first. I’m removing the 2 Tactics cards from the game and playing the Dummy Player another time because he should have gone first. So now he’s played 3 times and I’ve played twice.

TURN 3
I have 2 March cards, a Swiftness, 2 Rage, a Promise, and a Crystallize. My plan is to move one space to the magical glade and take out that first Orc. I activate Herbalist, take a green mana token, and place it on March for Move 4. I’ll add in my second March card for Move 6. I move onto the magical glade that’s sitting on a forest tile for 3, and then explore again, wasting 1 move point. I advance one space on the Fame Track to the #3 spot and reveal tile 4. I place another Orc face up (now I’m adjacent to two Orcs) and a Mage Tower face down.

I’m going after the original Orc and playing Swiftness, activating it with a white mana die to get Ranged Attack 3. With that, I take out the Orc and gain 4 Fame to advance to #7 and a level up.

I grab 2 skill tokens and choose Night Sharpshooter over Resistance Break. The latter goes face down in the common area and I think this is when I draw a Dummy Player skill token, which goes face up in the common area.

Next, I examine the 3 Advanced Action Cards. My choices are Crushing Bolt, Swift Bolt, and Pure Magic. I take Pure Magic and place it on top of my deck and put the other 2 cards back. I slide the other 2 cards down and replenish with a third Advanced Action card from the top of the deck to fill the empty spot on top. (Hmm, I hope I’m right about replenishing now. I didn’t replenish the unit offer earlier when I recruited Herbalist.)

TURN 4
After drawing for the Dummy Player, I see that he has one card remaining in his Deed Deck while I have several. Now I’m going to see if I can target this second Orc with Armor 4. I can handle that but I’m lacking the necessary mana. Oh, now I see that this Orc is a summoner. I can’t kill him with any sort of ranged or siege attack, so I’m going to need to be able to block and then attack. I grab a tan token—a minotaur with Armor 5, Attack 5, and Fame 4. Gee, it doesn’t seem right that I’m wrestling with him and his brutal attack yet if I win the attack, all I get is the Fame from the Orc. Well, they’re both Fame 4 so nothing lost, nothing gained.

Let’s see. I have no red mana die, just a blue, white, and green. I play Pure Magic with a blue mana die for Block 4. I add a Rage to get Block 6 which takes care of the minotaur. I discard him and do I have the attack points necessary to go after the Orc? Noooo, I don’t, darnit! Or wait. Maybe I get Block 7 from Pure Magic with the blue mana die. Now I can use my two Rage Cards for Attack 4 to wipe up the Orc. I gain 4 Fame to #10 for another level up. And another +1 Reputation to get to the first spot past the center 0 mark. Is that right? Yes, 2 Reputation for the 2 Orcs, and I lost 1 Reputation earlier for playing a special card.

I gain a new command token and...oh, man, I forgot I had that +1 bowman skill. I didn’t need it but I realize that having it off to the right makes it easily forgotten. So I’m shifting my skill token to just under the play area above my face up hand so I won’t tend to overlook it.

The Dummy Player empties his Deed Deck and declares end of round. I have enough cards in my deck to restore my hand to 5 for one final turn.

TURN 5
Well, I just remembered I’ve been sitting on a magical glade and not collecting my just due. I’m taking my gold mana token for this turn. In my hand, I have Tranquility, Cold Toughness, Promise, Crystallize, and Stamina. I surely don’t have enough to go after the Mage Tower or the Keep. I’d need 7 move points and an attack, which I don’t really have. I’ll have to postpone that until next round.

I play Crystallize with my gold token courtesy of the glade. I gain a crystal of any color to my Inventory...I choose red. Next up is Stamina for Move 2 and another Explore, tile #5. I place an Orc and revealed a monastery so I take a card from the Advanced Actions Deck and add it to the unit offer. (From the AA Deck or the AA Offer? I think from the AA Deck.) One more Fame for that last explore which puts me at Fame 11.

And that brings me to end of round. What do I do? I return the gold crystal, flip the day/night board, re-roll all three of my mana for 2 green and 1 blue. Okay, I return the whole of the unit offer and the Advance Action card I just drew, draw 3 units for a new offer, and draw another new AA card for the monastery. The third card from the AA offer transfers over to the Dummy Player’s Deed Deck. And because I’m playing solo, I add a crystal to the Dummy’s hero card that matches the color of the third spell offer which happens to be red. Then that spell card goes to the bottom of the spell deck, slide down, and replenish at the top.

Roll up all the cards and shuffle both my and the dummy player’s decks. And now don’t forget to choose nighttime tactics. I take Sparing Power and keep it by me for the remainder of the round. The Dummy Player will go first again thanks to his random draw. And that’s where I’m going to start.

I think I did okay. I forgot some things, but remembered much of what I forgot. Hopefully, I didn’t mess up too badly. Best of all, I had great fun puzzling over every hand!

If you lasted this long, thanks for listening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppel (BGG)
Germany
Kirchzarten
B-W
flag msg tools
Meowww
mbmbmbmbmb
just a quick note: You forgot to discard a card for Improvistaion in your very first turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Lloyd
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
You reading my badge OverText?
badge
Yes! Mage Knight is such a great game I have dedicated my avatar to it.
mbmbmbmbmb
You stated your playing solo but didn't mention if you were playing solo conquest or first reconnaissance. If you were playing solo conquest you would not get fame for exploration of new tiles. So I assume first reconnaissance.

The first orc token I assume is Ironclads which has physical resistance which you did not handle. Also for the summoned Minotaur where did you get the second blue mana from so that pure magic would give you block 7? (EDIT: I assume with gold mana from glade)

EDIT: I also assume you rotated tile 4 such that the orc was next to your magical glade, otherwise you would have had to moved.

I'm still reading your post, I'll see if I can spot more. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
TURN 4
After drawing for the Dummy Player, I see that he has one card remaining in his Deed Deck while I have several.

The Dummy Player empties his Deed Deck and declares end of round. I have enough cards in my deck to restore my hand to 5 for one final turn.

TURN 5

If theirs card to be drawn, the dummy player does not announce end of round. Meaning you skip yourself 1 turn.

copy paste from the pdf rulebook, http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/mage/MK_rulebook_...
page 12, dummy player.
Quote:
When it is the Dummy player’s turn:
• If his Deed deck is empty, he announces the End of the Round.
Other players have one more turn, and the Round is over.
• If his Deed deck is not empty, µ ip over three cards from his
Deed deck and put them in his discard pile. Check the color of
the last µ ipped card (topmost card of the discard pile):
– If the Dummy player has no crystals of that color in his
Inventory, his turn is over.
– If he has any crystals of that color, flip as many additional
cards as he has crystals of that color. Then, his turn is
over (the color of the additionally flipped card(s) does not
matter).
Note: If there are not enough cards in his Deed deck, flip
as many as you can. On his next turn, the Dummy player
announces End of the Round
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Seppel wrote:
just a quick note: You forgot to discard a card for Improvistaion in your very first turn...

You're right, Seppel. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
thth wrote:
You stated your playing solo but didn't mention if you were playing solo conquest or first reconnaissance. If you were playing solo conquest you would not get fame for exploration of new tiles. So I assume first reconnaissance.

The first orc token I assume is Ironclads which has physical resistance which you did not handle. Also for the summoned Minotaur where did you get the second blue mana from so that pure magic would give you block 7? (EDIT: I assume with gold mana from glade)

EDIT: I also assume you rotated tile 4 such that the orc was next to your magical glade, otherwise you would have had to moved.

I'm still reading your post, I'll see if I can spot more. Hope this helps.

It was my first game ever, so I was playing First Recon.

You must be right about Ironclad since it and the summoner are the only 2 with Fame 4. I must have missed the icon...it's pretty small and I have old eyes!

And, yes, I think I laid out the map improperly. I forgot to ensure that the tile numbers were aligned at the bottom. I won't make that mistake again!

Thank you for catching all these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
morni wrote:
schnel wrote:
TURN 4
After drawing for the Dummy Player, I see that he has one card remaining in his Deed Deck while I have several.

TURN 5

If theirs card to be drawn, the dummy player does not announce end of round. Meaning you skip yourself 1 turn.

copy paste from the pdf rulebook, http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/mage/MK_rulebook_...
page 12, dummy player.
Quote:
When it is the Dummy player’s turn:
• If his Deed deck is empty, he announces the End of the Round.
Other players have one more turn, and the Round is over.
• If his Deed deck is not empty, µ ip over three cards from his
Deed deck and put them in his discard pile. Check the color of
the last µ ipped card (topmost card of the discard pile):
– If the Dummy player has no crystals of that color in his
Inventory, his turn is over.
– If he has any crystals of that color, flip as many additional
cards as he has crystals of that color. Then, his turn is
over (the color of the additionally flipped card(s) does not
matter).
Note: If there are not enough cards in his Deed deck, flip
as many as you can. On his next turn, the Dummy player
announces End of the Round

That's a rule I'm familar with. While, yes, I technically took less turn I was eligible for, I wouldn't have had any cards in hand for that second turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Again, thanks everybody for checking up on me. That's one thing that, unfortunately, doesn't come with the game...a referee that stops you when you make a mistake.

Do you ever get to a point with this game when you never make a mistake, I wonder? There are just so many rules to keep track of, so I would think there's always the risk you might overlook something no matter how proficient you are. I suppose if you do make a mistake because you forgot a rule or missed something on a card, you might not never know you made the mistake in the first place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Again, thanks everybody for checking up on me. That's one thing that, unfortunately, doesn't come with the game...a referee that stops you when you make a mistake.

Do you ever get to a point with this game when you never make a mistake, I wonder? There are just so many rules to keep track of, so I would think there's always the risk you might overlook something no matter how proficient you are. I suppose if you do make a mistake because you forgot a rule or missed something on a card, you might not never know you made the mistake in the first place!

Game 4 of 5 for me. But for your first "day" you did pretty awesome.

By how meticulous you are.. and if you keep doing a day / night and posting here.. i would 1-2 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.