Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 games so far and this one seems to directly influence respect the most. Especially since its at any time ability really packs a punch. Tonight we had a frat game where the player drew it from the Underboss position before second final scoring. Getting lots of points by jail breaking into Capo position and positioning all his gangsters via promotion.

Other folks experience with this card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good discussion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The same situation has happened with me. I used it right after the capo was arrested to re-instate a new capo right before final scoring. In fact, I drew that card in the final Fence phase.

I'd agree that the jailbreak card is a bit too powerful. IMO, it should only be useable in the Crew phase. (much more situational then). It would still be strong but far less strong than being able to use it right before final scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Tian
United States
Greendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The same thing happened in my last game, and the player jail-breaking won by 10 respect. It was very swingy and felt cheesy. Since then I've been thinking about a solution that keeps the jail-breaking mechanic relevant while balancing it out. I have four solutions.

1) Remove the cards that have the jail-breaking mechanic.

2) Change the card's ability so that you must swap out a gangster you control with one in jail and then add two influence on it.

3) Do not allow influence cards to be played during the rest of the game after the commission phase of the last round.

4) Do not count respect a second time once the game ends.

Of these four solutions I think the third is the most elegant. The jail-break cards are only over powered in the last round because no one has a chance to contend for control of the jail-broken gangster before the final points are added up. I'll try it out the next time I get a chance to play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once. But someone got a hold of two of these cards and in the last round but themselves in the number one and number 2 position. They didn't end up winning. But it was a heck of a lot of VP for randomly drawing an OP card twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul sanchez
United States
san antonio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my last two games were ruined by this. I say ruined because its pretty much a 7 point gift going into the last phase. I wonder if Vasel has commented on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time I played the same player got 3 of those cards. How many are in the deck? And yes, he won. Not by a huge margin but his 3rd and final card came in the final scoring and that moved him from 2nd to 1st.

So I'd almost say that situation was a wash. 3 jail break cards and the 3rd was required to win the game by a small margin. That doesn't sound like a overly powered card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To make matters worse it is not just the card power itself, but how it could be obtained.

Specifically, this is a 'play immediately' card and in our game everyone that had less than the $10 threshold for an end game point, turned in as many influence cards that they had an extra $2 for and bought new influence cards during the fence phase in the last round ($2 + $8 for the returned card = $10 needed to buy a card). The hope was to luck into a 'play immediately' card that would help them (or hurt others). There didn't seem to be any reason not to do this and knowing there were jailbreak cards left in the deck made this last Fence phase seem really scripted and an opportunity to swing the game at the very end due to a lucky draw.

I plan on house ruling to eliminate the ability to purchase new influence cards for $10 in the last round of the game. I am also considering just eliminating card draws entirely in the last round's fence phase in favor of giving everyone $8 per card they would normally be entitled to.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duncan_mccloud83 wrote:
my last two games were ruined by this. I say ruined because its pretty much a 7 point gift going into the last phase. I wonder if Vasel has commented on this?

It's potentially a 16 point gift with Young Turks...

Yeah, having played a bit now I'm of the view it needs a bit of nerfing. Still thinking on how to do so though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.