Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: Rocs to powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Lippert
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello fellow gamers

Last weekend we had our first session with the banners of war expansion. We did use all of
the new components and rules to get a feel for it.
I was last to pick the race and had to choose between Latari and Daqan. I found the new Rocs quite descent so picked up the humans.
Everyone had early access to two cities. Mine did deliver a good amount of tactic cards (4) and the other one a dragon rune.

In year 3 the conflict started while I felt under pressure from an Uthuk stronghold. I captured it quickly and recruited to prevent being overrun right after the season.
Waiqar und the Uthuk tried several times to destroy my army of a commander, 4 Rocs, 3 knights a foot man.

They got frustrated by power of the Rocs which I also pushed to row 3 with the upgrade card.
I had a good hand at drawing cards and I had lots of tactic cards to trigger the 4 damage. They argued that this unit is totally imbalanced and broke the game. I agree that 4 damage is a lot and even the dragon of the undead does only 2 with a chance for more. But on the other hand I need to fulfil a condition (having more tactic cards than my opponent) which can turn this unit in a non-damage dealer on an orb result.

They also find, that being able to attack with the most powerful unit on row 4 or even row 3 is too much of an advantage.

What do you think?

By the way, I have won that game
Lost a few times my road to victory card but they did not work together to get my runes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Linder
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We have played several games with the banners of war and for us, no unit has been over powered.
Yes they are powerfull if the others let you get in control of cities that gives you tactics cards and if you aim to get many of those cards.
but for us, especially the deamon player used many of his "cavalary" (dont recall teh names) to soak up most of the damage and then force him to retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zabulus Blackheart
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I think the other players were silly to try and beat you on your own turf. It is true that the rocs are very powerful when you have lots of tactics cards. But like you said, there are conditions which you have to fulfill to be able to use them to their fullest. Plus, being powerful in battle is not a sure way to victory. They should have left you the battlefield and diplomacized (is that a word?) their way around you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.