Popular Tags: deaf [+] [View All]
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
over the last few months my wife, myself and another friend (also a gamer) have been learning sign language from a deaf lady at church,
Its often struck me how much social interaction she misses due to deafness and our signing is still slow and clunky to say the least,

So I was wondering if you can think of any good games that would work well without talking? (communication/interaction is fine)

Clearly something like resistance is the wrong end of the scale since so much of that game relies on the verbal,

The game would need to be suitable for a 1st time gamer as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most games (bar the social ones) can be played with little table talk. If you avoid the co-operative games, most gateway games seem like a good choice. Ticket to Ride, Settlers, Carcasonne etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
First game that jumped into my mind was Ca$h 'n Gun$. Although, the theme could possibly be an issue with some church people?

For Sale is definitely one that would work, as would No Thanks!, Ticket to Ride or Diamant. They are all quite visual and require very little in the way of conversation or instruction, beyond reading the rules.

What about dexterity games like Crokinole or PitchCar?

I may be jumping to conclusions (apologies to any deaf people if I am) but I can't see that most deaf people would have too much trouble with a fairly wide range of games unless they required a fair bit of talking, conversation or interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit more searching and I found this thread... http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/347438/games-for-deaf-teens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrationswould probably be one party game that would work well.

No personal knowledge but this is an interesting topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Mahjong traditionally includes a lot of interaction (group-dependent), but doesn't require any to actually play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrDevidents wrote:
I think most games (bar the social ones) can be played with little table talk. If you avoid the co-operative games, most gateway games seem like a good choice. Ticket to Ride, Settlers, Carcasonne etc...

two social games that would work are

Read My Lips

Maskenball Venezia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think Dixit would be a great choice. On the one hand, because you can use facial expressions or gestures to describe the cards, on the other hand, because you could use the sign language words you already know and deepen your knowledge in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Tower of Babel can be played without uttering a word, despite being a kind of auction game. However, I haven't played it myself yet, so it's just hearsay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many games, where you can do without! For me it would be important, that noone communicates (also the hearing have to be silent!), otherwise she will be disadvantaged. E.g. POKER works, if you can tell her how you raise (call=knocking, fold=put away the cards).

Important information is, whether she can speak or not!!??? (Did I miss it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chess, games like skat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi is all about communication, but the information you can legally impart is very limited. These are the only words you technically need: play, discard, one, two, three, four, five, red, yellow, blue, green, white.

Anything else is table talk, which we generally have a hard time avoiding. But your group might be able to get closer to the pure experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
How about Qwirkle, Blokus, Ingenious, Carcassonne, Ta Yü or Tsuro? As for a social game, Telestrations might work since it's all done by drawing and writing. Maybe not as fun if you can't easily talk about the whys between certain developments, but otherwise it should be ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say Blokus, but Kathrin beat me to it.

also came to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.