5 Posts

Baltimore & Ohio» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taking multiple coal counters in one turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brumsky
msg tools
Question.

If I built to 2 different coal hexes on one business turn, can I take both coal counters on the next business turn?

Or can you only "take" one coal counter per business turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe only one coal hex - which counts as your "build" for that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brumsky
msg tools
Thanks Chris,

I thought as much, too good to be true if I could. One coal counter will have to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brummund wrote:
Thanks Chris,

I thought as much, too good to be true if I could. One coal counter will have to do.

In a game where only one player runs rampant buying up coal and he owns 70% or more of the company doing it, a runaway leader situation can develop. There should be either some competition for the coal, or some competition for the shares of the company likely to buy the coal.

The PRR is generally in the best position to purchase coal. They start off having to build a line to it! And they have enough cubes to build into lots of the coal areas.

I had thought about making some house rules on coal hexes, but I haven't played the game enough to suggest any changes, and I generally rely upon the designers to make a game balanced - so I assume that if something in a game seems out-of-balance I might be missing a key way to play the game.

Cheers! This is a fun game for those that like train games - it's not hard to run a "good" company and have a shot at winning the game and there's less screwage than in 18xx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PRR tends to only get one of the coal with the Chesapeake taking one. It's the blue company...I believe Baltimore is the name. THAT company is the one that takes all the coal and is in best position for doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.