Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Rules

Subject: Conditions that stack. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which conditions do stack and have a cumulative effect?
Do an opponent with two Rot conditions receive two damage during the Upkeep phase? What about tainted?

Thanks in advance!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an overview of stacking in the FAQ (on Arcane Wonders site). Mostly anything that is +X stacks, anything that is add a token, is effectively stacking (so in your example, yes 2 rots = 2 damage).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
SK
flag msg tools
All conditions always stack it basically says in the rulebook. But functionally, 2 dazes, stuns, or sleeps are no better than one except in terms of cheaper removal.(i'm guessing you cant get multiple of these is written in a FAQ somewhere, but that doesnt matter enough to me to look)
With the fire Priest, I try to keep 5 fire conditions stacked on the enemy mage whenever possible.

Conditions also affect conjurations is something I discovered recently(burning lair), but poison immune targets cant recieve poison conditions.

For weakness and similar, they always get to roll at least one damage die.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
echephron wrote:
All conditions always stack it basically says in the rulebook. But functionally, 2 dazes, stuns, or sleeps are no better than one except in terms of cheaper removal.(i'm guessing you cant get multiple of these is written in a FAQ somewhere, but that doesnt matter enough to me to look)
With the fire Priest, I try to keep 5 fire conditions stacked on the enemy mage whenever possible.

Conditions also affect conjurations is something I discovered recently(burning lair), but poison immune targets cant recieve poison conditions.

For weakness and similar, they always get to roll at least one damage die.


I believe 2 dazes are better since both require a 7+ to allow an attack. Both come off at the end of the round, but during the round, multiples of this condition are better.

At least that is how we interpret the condition rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:

I believe 2 dazes are better since both require a 7+ to allow an attack. Both come off at the end of the round, but during the round, multiples of this condition are better.

At least that is how we interpret the condition rules.


No, it is said in the Codex, you just roll once. But the -2 to defense stack.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
wtcannonjr wrote:

I believe 2 dazes are better since both require a 7+ to allow an attack. Both come off at the end of the round, but during the round, multiples of this condition are better.

At least that is how we interpret the condition rules.


No, it is said in the Codex, you just roll once. But the -2 to defense stack.


Thanks. We missed that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I stack a fast effect to make a slow creature fast?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Can I stack a fast effect to make a slow creature fast?


One 'Fast' effect doesn't make a Slow creature Fast - it just removes the Slow, making it 'normal' speed.

If you applied two DIFFERENT effects giving Fast, then yes - the first would make it 'normal' speed, and the second would make it Fast.

You couldn't use 2x Cheetah Speed but could use 1x Cheetah Speed, 1x Ballad of Courage for example.

Also remember that most Slow Creatures are non-Living/Psychic Immune, etc and can't receive most of these buffs. A few can like Hydra, Gorgon, Kraken, Leviathan...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Madd
United States
Statesboro
GA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen is wrong in this instance. There's no such thing as double fast. It doesn't stack. You either have the Fast trait or you don't. If you're getting it from two different sources, you still ONLY have the Fast trait. It'll cancel out the effect of the Slow trait, but you can never make a Slow creature Fast.

Traits are not Conditions. They do not stack, ever. Basically with a trait, you either have it or you don't. All traits are just single instances. However, if the trait includes a +/- variable, then they may be COMBINED to change the variable (see Page 7 of the rules about Combining Traits). So, if you have one instance of Melee +2, and another instance of Melee +1, you now have a single Melee +3 trait.

The only time they work like two different traits is when some traits come into existence mid action during a multi-attack action. Such as increasing your Melee +X trait between the first and second attacks of a Doublestrike. You're not allowed to apply Melee +X more than once, but the rules do specifically allow you to apply the new change to the second attack, working similar to a separate instance of the trait. But they are still in actuality a single trait. See page 5 of the Supplement. The bonus has increased and they are allowed to use this increase since it wasn't previously used, but it is still a single bonus. A single trait.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting..., although I agree with you completely in generalities, that doesn't appear to be how Slow/Fast are written...

Zub3ri wrote:

There's no such thing as double fast. It doesn't stack.

Completely agreed.

Zub3ri wrote:

You either have the Fast trait or you don't.

Agreed.

Zub3ri wrote:

If you're getting it from two different sources, you still ONLY have the Fast trait. It'll cancel out the effect of the Slow trait, but you can never make a Slow creature Fast.

This is the part that has made me believe differently. I'm sure you are right Ivan, but in which case I think the entries need rewriting/FAQ, because I have just reread the relevant entries and still don't come to that conclusion...

Codex 3.1 wrote:
If a Slow creature gains the Fast trait, both are cancelled out


My take on it is that when you apply the FAST trait to a SLOW creature, they cancel out, and the creature no longer has either FAST or SLOW traits. This is why you can now apply a FAST trait to it again (since it doesn't currently have that) to make it FAST.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Madd
United States
Statesboro
GA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic seems to be getting continued on the Arcane Wonders Forums here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Seems the balance of opinion is that you can't, but it's not a slam dunk.

I asked because I was looking at some of the cards in the new expansion, and one of the enchantments got me thinking About this. If you could use two fast cards to make a very powerful slow creature fast, that could create some seriously terrifying beasties.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Thanks. Seems the balance of opinion is that you can't, but it's not a slam dunk.

I asked because I was looking at some of the cards in the new expansion, and one of the enchantments got me thinking About this. If you could use two fast cards to make a very powerful slow creature fast, that could create some seriously terrifying beasties.


Even if it was possible, you have to watch for Full action attacks, that still won't work after Fast - Hydra, Kraken and Gorgon Archer can't use their main attacks after moving.

Sherean Leviathan would be a beast though...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
MrMT wrote:
Thanks. Seems the balance of opinion is that you can't, but it's not a slam dunk.

I asked because I was looking at some of the cards in the new expansion, and one of the enchantments got me thinking About this. If you could use two fast cards to make a very powerful slow creature fast, that could create some seriously terrifying beasties.


Even if it was possible, you have to watch for Full action attacks, that still won't work after Fast - Hydra, Kraken and Gorgon Archer can't use their main attacks after moving.

Sherean Leviathan would be a beast though...


Kraken can move and snatch with his quick ranged attack though if you cancel the slow. I just picked up on that mid game last time. Adds a twist. Not too many quick ranged attacks outside of mages and familiars.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone post here when there is a definitive call from AW on the Fast+Fast ruling - seeing 'Ballad of Courage' in the 'Siren v Paladin' set I immediately wanted to make a fast Kraken in order to use the ranged tentacles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Could someone post here when there is a definitive call from AW on the Fast+Fast ruling - seeing 'Ballad of Courage' in the 'Siren v Paladin' set I immediately wanted to make a fast Kraken in order to use the ranged tentacles.


Will do - it's under discussion on the AW boards, but the AW staff are at a convention, and the rules guru is moving house, so give it a week or so...

But I'll report back a definitive ruling when one happens, if someone doesn't beat me to it. It's fair to say that both sides now see the other side, and both sides acknowledge the other could be correct - it needs a definitive ruling. That said it was ruled several years ago as working, but a lot less attention was paid to teh overall rule framework then, so it could change.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.