Popular Tags: [View All]
John Heder
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time that I play this game, I and the people I play with usually ignore the goods and the points favor tracks as we tend to think they are a bit of a waste of time and sometimes recources. We usually focus on the money and building tracks which always seem to be useful.

I played a 2 player game the other night and used the goods track. For most of the game we were close but I was falling behind towards the end of the game by several points as my competitor had used the building and money tracks, like usual, and had pulled ahead of me by building most of the stone buildings (including all the production buildings).

At the end of the game I was able to collect three favors (one for building up the castle with three bundles of goods and two for end phase scoring) which got me the gold I needed to immediately use with the building track to build the Cathedral and collect 25 points. This brought me into the lead to win by five points.

Does anyone else like to use the goods track?
Does it work in a game with more players?
What about the points track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
I've only played a couple times as my g/f dislikes Caylus and my dad just gets frustrated when I wipe him out, but next time I play I intend to try and use the resource track instead of the building track.

My plan is, get the lawyer up early, and start tearing down neutral production buildings. When I build, I want to build non-production buildings as well. This would lead to a resource shortage in the game, thus making the resource favor track more valuable. Additionally, an early mason and lawyer build and leaving the neutral carpenter on the board will make building buildings relatively easy, although you don't get the 1-cube discount.

My hope is that my opponent (probably my dad) will use the same strategy he did last time out, when we both went all out onto the building track with occasional money track usage.

Anyway its just a theory and it may not work out all that well, but my feeling is if you play a game where resources are limited and making buildings is easy, then the resource track will be pretty valuable and the building track will be less valuable.

As for the points track, I always want to start on the points track and I never get the chance. The building track is always my first choice, and if I have multiple favors in the same phase it usually goes to the money track. Every game I have played money gets very tight, and not having to worry about money is what led me to victory in all of my 4 or so games. I would imagine in a 5 player game money may not be as tight, since you may only place 2-3 workers a turn espeically early. In 2-player, we place almost all of our workers on every turn, maybe just 4 workers the first turn I forget, but the money flows FAST.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the points track is definitely not a waste of time. If you can score 5 points off it a bunch of times in the endgame it is AMAZING. (And this is quite reasonable to do in 2 player).

The resource cube track however is rarely useful. For it to be good, you need to have a really cube light game...covering some neutral production and not building much more prodution buildings.

The problem is that if you try to do this, and go on the cube track, your opponent can easily counter by just building several production buildings.

Imo, after about 100 games (mostly 2 player), I'd rate the strength of the tracks as:

Building
Points and Money (very close....depends on how the game goes)
Cubes

In 2 player, if you go points, you should be going Build + points tracks, and are probably spending more favors on points overall. (Though most of the builds will come ealrier and the points later).

If you go money, you should be going Build + Money, with most of the favors spent on build. You can go all trhee of course, which is basically like Build + Points except that a couple times you had money truobles and had to dabble in the money track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.