Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

Maths is not my strong point and normally a use a chart to help me work out the odds for most of my wargames but the 2:3 and 3:2 odds on the combat table have me totally stumped is there anyone out there who can help me with some examples etc on how these two odds ratios work as they are stumping me and taking away the enjoyment of this game plus the hours of rules reading, gaming table construction that I have done in order in set up the game ...

I know odds are important but what do these particular odds add ? Can they be ignored would it screw the combat results too much I just don't understand them

Thx in advance ...

Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in our game over the weekend. 4-6 = 2-3 is obvious and of course any other derivative of 2-3. We had a 3-5 situation and after a minute of trying to figure it out we "decided" it was 1-2. The difference in the columns is marginal. I wouldn't let it ruin your game play. If it isn't obvious and you can't do the math, pick a column and keep playing. Hopefully you aren't playing against someone who is a win at all costs rules lawyer.

The way I try to think of it is the ratio "closer" to 1-2 or 1-1? If it is in the middle then it is 2-3. But I'm not a math whiz either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Switzerland
Arth
Luzern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"12.4 combat procedure, step 6: ...round this odds ratio DOWNWARDS to confirm to one of the odds ratio columns..."

Doesn't this mean a 3:5 would become a 1:1???
(1:1.6 rounded down)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it rather not be 1:2, as in 0.6 rounded down to 0.5?

I am using a similar principle to 14:6, which is 2.3, rounded down to 2 - so 2:1...

EDIT: I think what happens here is the ratio always favoring the defender, so instead of 1:1 it would be 1:2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom

That's a good idea - it seems an odd choice of ratio for the CRT not sure why he has choosen those two odds ...but I guess I will not let it distract my enjoyment of the game ...

Some one many years ago told me there was a way to work the odds using a calculator but it has flown over my head ...

I wish some math wiz would put a chart / table together so I could cross reference the strengths and it gives me the ratio some one did one for one of MMPs war games and I use it for loads of my war games but this is the first time I have come across 3:2 and 2:3 in a CRT but I am sure there are a host of other games with these ratios ...

The game is one of the best of the normandy games and it's the only thing that I feel uncomfortable with and just takes the shine off a tiny bit for me ...wish I wasn't so bloody thick

Thx for taking time to answer my question ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheArchidux wrote:
"12.4 combat procedure, step 6: ...round this odds ratio DOWNWARDS to confirm to one of the odds ratio columns..."

Doesn't this mean a 3:5 would become a 1:1???
(1:1.6 rounded down)

Joe has it right in rounding down in the defenders favor which is 1-2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx Tom!

It is basically the same as with Normandy '44 (as it is basically the sibling system).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
A 3:2 ratio is the same as a 1.5:1 ratio.
That means that if the attacker is more than one and a half times the defender but it's not two times the defender, they use the 3:2 ratio.

For example, 5 x 1.5 = 7.5. Then,

if the defender has 5 points,

- from 5 to 7 attackers would be 1:1
- from 8 to 9 attackers would be 1.5:1 (3:2)
- from 10 to 14 attackers would be 2:1
- etc.

In the case of 2:3 it's the same, rounding down.

If the attacker has 5 points,

- 5 defenders would be 1:1
- from 6 to 7 defenders would be 1:1.5 (2:3)
- from 8 to 10 defenders would be 1:2
- etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marti, Hi

Excellent answer thx as that means I can use my odds chart as it's designed with 1.5 odds aka 3:2 brilliant ...

And thx for examples ...

Best wishes

Ric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone would be able to send me a picture of the CRT (as a reference for the limits etc., as I do not own the game), I can whip out an Excel table of say 40x40 rows/columns with appropriate odds ratios...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.