Hide
6 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Heroes, Feedback welcome and appreciated rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mav man
msg tools
First let me say our normal gaming group has fallen heads over heels for this game and as such we are trying to create new cards to add to the replay ability of the game

I have made a few heroes and will be adding more as time goes by. Sad to say I suck at photoshop otherwise I would have made the visual representation for the cards as well. (if anyone wants to give advice on how to make the cards I would love to see a link or youtube video)

HEROES

Wonder Man
Common 1
Card Name: Ionic Blast
Team: Avenger
Card Type: Ranged
Recruit: n/a
Attack: 2+
Card Text: Ranged: +1 damage
Cost: 3
Origin Idea:

Common 2
Card Name: Lights, Camera, Action
Card Type: Might
Attack: 3
Card Text: Avenger: +3 damage
Cost: 5
Origin Idea:

Uncommon
Card Name: Movie Star
Team: Avengers
Card Type: Instinct
Recruit: 0+
Attack: n/a
Card Text: You gain 1 Recruit for every Bystander in your Victory Pile/
Cost: 4
Origin Idea:

Rare
Card Name: Ionic Form
Attack: 5+
Card Text: If a effect would cause you to KO this Hero you may reveal this card instead and draw 1 card.
Ranged Might: +4 damage
Cost: 9
Origin Idea:

Prodigy
Common 1
Card Name: Keep your friends close
Team: Young Avengers
Recruit: 2+
Card Text: Young Avenger: You gain +1 Recruit for every other Young Avenger played this turn.
Cost: 3
Origin Idea:

Common 2
Card Name: But your enemies closer
Team: Young Avengers
Card Type: Covert
Attack: 1+
Card Text: Reveal the top card of the villian deck. You gain extra damage equal to that cards Victory Point Total.
Origin Idea:

Uncommon
Card Name: Unlocked Potential
Team: Young Avenger
Card Text: Play this card as a copy of the last hero you played.
Origin Idea:

Rare
Card Name: Learned from the Best
Team: Young Avenger
Card Text: Discard the top 4 cards of your draw deck. This card gains all abilities printed on the card text.
Cost: 8
Origin Idea:

Havok
Common 1
Card Name: A Friendly Face
Hero Type: Instinct
Recruit: 2+
Card Text: Avengers: Gain 1 recruit and rescue a bystander
Origin Idea: The Avengers selected him to be the friendly face of mutants for the new Avengers/X-men team. A pretty boy to put the general public at ease.

Common2
Card Name: Tempermental
Card Text: Each player may gain a Wound and discard a card; then each player may draw two cards.
Origin Idea: This is more of a classic look at Havok compared to his new Avengers leadership roll, but he used to make dangerous quick decisions because he wanted to be more like Scott.

Uncommon
Card Name: Cosmic Energy Charge Up
Attack: 3+
Card Text: Teleport. If this card was teleported last turn it does +3 damage this turn.
Origin Idea: While Havok does not have a teleport power in comics I could not think of how to display his slowly charging up to unleash a more deadly attack.

Rare
Card Name: The Dogs of War
Attack: 5+
Card Text: Avengers: You gain 1 Recruit for every other Avenger you played this turn.
Ranged: You gain +1 damage for every other Ranged Hero you played this turn.
Cost: 8
Origin Idea: The basic idea was to show how he is a leader who is supposed to bring people into the fold but is still a powerful cannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's best to start a different thread for each hero. Easier to keep track of changes and stuff like that. Overall though, I like your approach.

maverick0023 wrote:
Wonder Man
Common 2

This seems really powerful for a common card. Do you know of any other common cards which cost 5 and can provide up to 6 attack?

maverick0023 wrote:
Uncommon

Ooh, I like it! Basically, it's Black Widow's "Covert Ops" but for recruit instead of attack. I'm surprised nobody thought of that before, at least to my knowledge. You might want to consider putting a limit on it though.

maverick0023 wrote:
Havok
Common2
Card Text: Each player may gain a Wound and discard a card; then each player may draw two cards.
Origin Idea: This is more of a classic look at Havok compared to his new Avengers leadership roll, but he used to make dangerous quick decisions because he wanted to be more like Scott.

I've always liked Havok, but, man, he's seemingly always gotten the short end of the straw. Marvel has screwed him over more times than I can count. I prefer his X-Men days with Lorna (Polaris) and his stint as the leader of X-Factor. Anyway, I like this card's effect. You might want to tweak the wording slightly. I would change "then each player may draw" to "if a player does so, that player draws". Consider the case where a player has no cards in their hand to discard or if there are no Wounds left in the Wound deck. Consider also synergies with Colossus and Cyclops' uncommons, which you may or not want to facilitate.

maverick0023 wrote:
Uncommon
Card Text: Teleport. If this card was teleported last turn it does +3 damage this turn.
Origin Idea: While Havok does not have a teleport power in comics I could not think of how to display his slowly charging up to unleash a more deadly attack.

Interesting! It makes a good case for a new keyword... Maybe instead of the Teleport effect, you put the charging card on top of your draw deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mav man
msg tools
DarthEd wrote:
I think it's best to start a different thread for each hero. Easier to keep track of changes and stuff like that. Overall though, I like your approach.

maverick0023 wrote:
Wonder Man
Common 2

This seems really powerful for a common card. Do you know of any other common cards which cost 5 and can provide up to 6 attack?

maverick0023 wrote:
Uncommon

Ooh, I like it! Basically, it's Black Widow's "Covert Ops" but for recruit instead of attack. I'm surprised nobody thought of that before, at least to my knowledge. You might want to consider putting a limit on it though.

maverick0023 wrote:
Havok
Common2

I've always liked Havok, but, man, he's seemingly always gotten the short end of the straw. Marvel has screwed him over more times than I can count. I prefer his X-Men days with Lorna (Polaris) and his stint as the leader of X-Factor. Anyway, I like this card's effect. You might want to tweak the wording slightly. I would change "then each player may draw" to "if a player does so, that player draws". Consider the case where a player has no cards in their hand to discard or if there are no Wounds left in the Wound deck. Consider also synergies with Colossus and Cyclops' uncommons, which you may or not want to facilitate.

maverick0023 wrote:
Uncommon

Interesting! It makes a good case for a new keyword... Maybe instead of the Teleport effect, you put the charging card on top of your draw deck?

Wonder Man
Common 2
I was originally thinking of this as a Uncommon and never converted it down. Perhaps a 1+damage that does +2 damage if you played a Avenger. Change the cost to 3?

Wonder Man
Uncommon
I thought about putting a limit on it but I can not think of any other cards that put a max limit and did not want to introduce that mechanic. Also Black Widows card has no limit so I thought this should not have one either.

Havok
Common 2
I was having trouble with the wording and I do like that wording more

Havok
Uncommon
I like the idea of putting the charging card on top of your deck. This can add a lot of fun combo effects with Daredevil and the like cards. Perhaps a Keyword Power Up; anytime a card is Powered Up it goes on top of your draw deck.

I will split these into different post if you think that is the best. I just did not want to Post bomb the forums with different ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maverick0023 wrote:
Wonder Man
Common 2
I was originally thinking of this as a Uncommon and never converted it down. Perhaps a 1+damage that does +2 damage if you played a Avenger. Change the cost to 3?

Well, Wonder Man is definitely a heavy-hitter. He's not quite in the same strength class as the Hulk or Thor, but he's close, I think. Colossus might be about the same power level in the comics. Anyway, I definitely think he should have more than 1 base attack. I would suggest that you look through Hulk's cards and Thor's cards and Colossus' cards and try to find an analogous card and justify the attack and cost by putting it in that perspective.

maverick0023 wrote:
Wonder Man
Uncommon
I thought about putting a limit on it but I can not think of any other cards that put a max limit and did not want to introduce that mechanic. Also Black Widows card has no limit so I thought this should not have one either.

True, but I think it might be too powerful. Fighting villains and masterminds consumes more attack than the equivalent recruiting. The average mastermind is like 9 attack. But the average hero costs probably around 4. Basically, getting 15 recruit is potentially more game-changing than 15 attack. But that's just my gut feeling. Maybe it's not an issue since recruiting won't actually win the game for you directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mav man
msg tools
According to the comics recently (not sure the issue number) Cap America believes that Wonder Man with his increasing power has "Sentry level" strength. I agree more than 1 base attack though and thus should rework.

I think that recruit is more game changing than power as well BUT by the time you are getting 15 recruit the game should be near over anyways I would assume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work here. My next GIMP endeavor will be Wonderman.

Though I may re title one of the to "What the bleep am I wearing?!" If I can find an image of his old West coast Avengers green and red monstrosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.