badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
Current version: 0.5

I. Prologue

II. Zombie Island (Scenario)

(Title art from Resident Evil (Game))

Scenario Overview
Why zombies? Because it is a theme that is easily understood.

You were on a vacation. Following the typical story line of 28 Days Later and The Walking Dead, you got into an accident. When you woke up, the world is different.

Zombie Island is a typical "Escape" storyline. First, you need to go out and find at least 3 Beast Cards to add to the Hunting Deck. This typically means exploring. Then you need to capture these 3 beasts. Capture is the same as a Hunt Action, except you do not gain any Food or Fur. Makes sense right? The animal is still alive...

After that, you need to go back to the Hospital (Your starting location) to develop the Zombie Virus Vaccine.

Now you're ready to escape the island. However, you lost the key to the boat! It's somewhere on the island. You got to find it. It's in location #6. So you need to explore the tiles until you uncover all 6 Mystery Icons.

Finally you move to the beach. Ready to escape. But like all good B-grade zombie movies, you have one final show down with the zombies before you are allowed to escape.

Oh one more thing. There's an extra achievement in the scenario. The ZOMBIE HERO achievement. In the game, you have to "Fight Zombies" anywhere around 9 to 11 times, including the final fight at the boat (beach). Anytime anyone suffers a wound from a fight (be it from lack of weapon levels, or lack of palisade), you remove one blue marker. Therefore, if you survive all 9 to 11 fights without incurring any wounds, you will be crowned ZOMBIE HERO LEVEL 5!

If you get "scratched" one time, you remove one marker, and it becomes ZOMBIE HERO LEVEL 4.. and so on. Want to try a harder game? You cannot win unless you achieve at least ZOMBIE HERO LEVEL 1. Thematically, it means that if you get damaged five times by zombies, you become.... a zombie! Welcome to Zombieland!

III. Sumo Wrestler (Character)

(Character art from Street Fighter (Game))

Character Overview
The Sumo Wrestler has massive amount of health. But he has one problem. He eats more than usual amount of food! He needs 1 more food than usual, or he suffers 2 wounds. Therefore, if he eats 0 food, he suffer 4 wounds. 1 food, he suffer 2 wounds. 2 food, he's okay. He's satisfied and goes to sleep.

One benefit of the Sumo Wrestler is that his personal invention is the Pit. It helps with the food problem, somewhat...

The key strength of the Sumo Wrestler lies in his prowess in Building and Hunting.

Some design thoughts
I don't know Japanese, so I might have murdered the translation. If any native Japanese speaker can help in the flavor text, I'll appreciate a lot!

IV. Doctor (Character)

(Character art from Lost (TV Series))

Character Overview
Ever played a game where you didn't account for something and a character died? Which was more a careless mistake that shouldn't have happened? Ever wished for one more chance? Well now you have it!

The Doctor is able to perform an Emergency Rescue by interrupting death. All at a cheap cost of just 4 determination tokens. Of course he can only heal 1 wound. So if the damage is too high, there is nothing the Doctor can do. The Doctor can even perform an Emergency Rescue on himself!

The Doctor can also heal anyone during Action Phase. This requires the Doctor to stay in the camp (take a rest action). It is a very specific timing window to do this. Only when he is resolving the Rest action.

He can also heal special wounds. Don't think this will come up too frequently though.

Doctor has the Bed Invention. Hopefully, other characters get to use it as well!

The disadvantage of the Doctor is he cannot perform any Hunt, Build, Gather, or Explore actions with 2 of his pawns. He can only use 1 of his pawns for these actions. Be it solo, supporting another player, or as the main with one other supporting (Friday/Dog/Map/Lantern, etc...).

V. Special Thanks
Special thanks to Marion for amazing help with playtesting!
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb

UPDATES

[Version 0.4]
Beta public release.

[Version 0.5]
1. Zombie Island
-- Only text and formatting changes.

2. Sumo Wrestler
-- Disciplined changed from discard 4 to gain 6, to discard 3 to gain 4.
-- Skilled Fighter improved with additional +1 weapon temporarily for that hunt action.

3. Doctor
-- Treat Wounds cost reduced to 2.
-- Health Screening can only be used during timing window when resolving Rest action.
-- Emergency Rescue cost reduced to 4.
-- Emergency Rescue can also be used on Doctor.

--------------------------------------------
Check out my contributions for Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island:

1. Castaways Quick Start Guide to Robinson Crusoe
-- A review
-- [PDF]

2. Leviathan's Defeat (fan-made expansion pack)
-- Leviathan's Defeat (scenario)
-- Voodoo Man (character)
-- Grandma (character)
-- [PDF]

3. Zombie Island (fan-made expansion pack)
-- Zombie Island (scenario)
-- Sumo Wrestler (character)
-- Doctor (character)
-- [PDF]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imre Hauszknecht
Hungary
Pécs
flag msg tools
We'll kill you with kindness!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are crazy! With a lot of freetime! Congratulation man!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cedric, this is unbelievable, I think you're a collective !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
This. Looks. Awesome. And I haven't even got to play the Leviathan scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemek Siwik
Poland
flag msg tools
Join Portal Games man!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Insane!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervé Ferra
France
flag msg tools
Awesome work ! I love this idea ! Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
Yes it is insane!
I just played a solo with the soldier. I wanted to see if the soldier is really too powerful for this. And I died in round 7 due to the weather!
What could go wrong went wrong. Terrible event-cards - had weather-effects from round 1, couldn´t build roof. Hunting only to capture the animals, lack of food because of at least one rain cloud, in round 6 and 7 two clouds.
So much for the unbeatable soldier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Marion wow you are truly a play testing machine. I really appreciate everything you did so far.

Regarding Soldier solo... So what killed the soldier was rain. I am sure if draw is better you could have won in round 9.

I thought I'd better ask you quickly while its still fresh.
1. Which round did you build Zombie Virus Vaccine?
2. When your Soldier died in round 7, how many island spaces are still unexplored?
3. How high was your highest weapon level in the game?
4. Did you build and use Decoy or Shortest Route?

Thank you once again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! Ideal game to create custom scenarios but with this one the standars are already high
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
maxixe wrote:
Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Marion wow you are truly a play testing machine. I really appreciate everything you did so far.

Regarding Soldier solo... So what killed the soldier was rain. I am sure if draw is better you could have won in round 9.

I thought I'd better ask you quickly while its still fresh.
1. Which round did you build Zombie Virus Vaccine?
2. When your Soldier died in round 7, how many island spaces are still unexplored?
3. How high was your highest weapon level in the game?
4. Did you build and use Decoy or Shortest Route?

Thank you once again!

1. Round 6. I´m not sure if I would have managed in time to get to the beach tile.
2. 3. There was still one gap for reaching the beach tile. Just checked the remaining 3 tiles and the sixth totem was the second.
3. 6
4. Neither. No time. First you need brick and map to build them - just no time.

But I had fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed TwoEggs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My hero. kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
So... Cedric, I did another solo with the carpenter.
I won and survived with wound limit in round 9.

Answering your questions above:

1. Again in round 6.
2. 1 unexplored tile.
3. 4
4. Yes, I would not have made it without them.

I had the Helmet-treasure and the Rum again for starting-item.
Carpenter used all the det.tokens for the additional building pawn.
Could build 1 roof and the rain die only ever showed 1 clowd.

I felt rather pressured all the time, and until the last minute I was not sure if I could make it. But still fun

I think for today I´m finished .......
Tomorrow I have time for one game. Let me know how you want it; number and combination of characters.

Regards
Marion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am flabbergasted. Between the comic strips, Walking Dead, and Street Fighter references, and just everything. This work is incredible.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SIMPLY WOW! Wish that could've made its way into the expansion. The scenario, character, skills, all genius!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
As requested:
Full 4-player game.
All won and survived with good health in round 9.

Some details:
Starting items - Empty Bottle (again!) and Bisquits.
The first three rounds only exploring to find zombies and terrains. I found the baseball bat and had weapon level 3, so that in the first four rounds I fought zombies Nr. 2, 3, 4 and 5 without getting harmed.
The next three rounds built all the necessary items: knife, map, brick, pot (I had explored all the pot-tokens), then spear, shortest route, decoy. Also capturing the 3 animals, which were harmless: wild boar, wild dog and fox.
Finally in round six I built Zombie Vaccine.
I needed three more rounds to move to the beach, fighting Zombie Nr. 6 en route. The "Decoy" I saved for the final Zombie-Fight, meaning I did not have to fight. (But I would have been able to.)

A good game!
I can´t imagine right now if it´s possible to win in less than 9 rounds. One has quite his/her hands full with finding and hunting the animals, building all the items and taking care of enough food or roof and palisades, because there are still nasty events happening.

Now answering Cedric´s specific questions:
1. Vaccine built again round 6. It doesn´t seem to be manageable before.
2. All island tiles explored.
3. Highest weapon level 6.
4. Built and used Decoy and Shortest Route.
5. Zombie-Hero-Level 5!

Let´s imagine the animals to be captured would have been Alligator, Tiger and Gorilla - all reducing weapon level dramatically.
Could be that I would have still managed, all characters had 6 health left in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
Cedric, I just thought I might be doing something wrong:
You wrote above that there would be 9 - 11 Zombie-Fights.
I don´t get this, please explain.
For me there are only 5 fighting situations
So could be that my results are not valid.....
Marion

edit:
OK - everything is good.
I forgot to count the zombie-fights in the book-icon rounds, but I did all the fights.
Luckily 4 book-icons showed up in the first 4 rounds.
So I played right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to highly recommend you create a google spreadsheet and get people to log their plays for Zombie Island and Leviathan Defeat. This has been an invaluable tool for tweaking the Voyage of the Beagle expansion. Also a google doc was nice for people to write their comments and questions as well. Let me know if you need a hand with this.

Also, I know this is a scenario near and dear to Marion's heart. She's been working on a zombie island type scenario for a while now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
2-player with Cook and Carpenter.
Both Cook and Carpenter died in round 9 because of overwhelming Zombie-Horde..

Book-icons and Zombie-discoveries rather late in the game. I was lucky to have spear and bow as inventions, so I could keep some reasonable weapon strength, but after capturing the three beasts and some Zombie fights there was just nothing left to stand up to one more fight.

1. Vaccine built in round 6 (again)
2. All tiles explored
3. Highest weapon level 5.
4. Yes, but still it was one fight too much.
5. Zombie-Hero-Level would have been 0.

Would Soldier and Explorer have had a better chance?
Thinking about playing the exact same game with these......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very good data!

Great to hear it is at the finale fight.

I'm thinking why Cook and Carpenter lost. Would thought it is a good team. I feel Carpenter is strong in this scenario. Maybe soldier and carpenter are stronger?

You brought Friday along yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
Yes, Friday was there too.
Cook an Carpenter are good together.
The Cook took care of the weather and the Carpenter had no trouble building all the stuff.
But it all fell apart after hunting the three beasts(Cheetah, Tapir and Goats - each lowers weapon level by 1) and after this book-icon toghether with 2 extra zombies. This was the beginning of the end....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
Question:

When Friday explores with the dog and discoveres a Zombie, Friday receives the wounds and possibly dies.
- Is the fight considered successful if he dies and do Friday´s wounds count against the Zombie-Hero-Level?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! What have we done???

If Friday fights zombies and dies... Friday becomes.... A Zombie-Friday!!!

For the purpose of this scenario, if Friday suffers at least 1 wound from zombie fight, remove 1 blue marker. It's not right to throw Friday to the zombies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmb
I was curious and played another game with Soldier and Explorer. It was even worse!

Explorer died in round 8!
A lot of dice-rolls and rerolls were unsuccessful and both characters took quite some wounds for lack of food.
Hunting again only to capture the beasts, weapon level too low to hunt for food - and all 5 book-icons almost in a row. Just not enough time/actions to manage everything......

edit:
Still answering your questions:
1. Guess what: round 6
2. One tile left
3. Highest weapon level 5
4. Only the Short-Route and used it, Explorer died before I could build Decoy
5. Zombie-Hero-Level would have been 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb

UPDATE: Version 0.5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.