Subject: Marco Zohgoli Card - when can its ability be implemented? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, two and a half hours into the first game, and it basically comes down to a dice roll to see if we have a winner.

I have control of the Capo, but my opponent has control of the Third Guy and the Counselor. The Counselor has on it the "Marco Zohgoli Card" which has the special ability "May re-roll any die roll once per round".

My opponent uses the Third Guy ability to Whack a Gangster (my Capo). We both burn money with re-rolls until neither of us can spend another $10. I sense I am now safe for the win.

Except, my Opponent points to the Marco Zohgoli card and claims he can get one more re-roll. I claim this is not possible, as the card has not come into focus. By the time we get to the counselor position, ownership may have changed, or he might decide to do something else at this position with this turn.

I claim that you can only use the Marco Zohgoli special ability once it is part of the 'Taking a Gangster Action' focus. So, the use of this card is more effective the lower down the order.

My opponent disagrees. And I do note that the wording is such that it could be interpreted both ways, but then the game would be very mess in trying to remember when / if you can reroll (you probably need a token), and it would seem to be the only exception in the game where you have to look at the positions above the one you are currently applying the Gangster Action.

So, a flat end to the game, as we didn't really resolve the issue. However, I still would like a clarification on how this card works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoever controls the gangster can use the ability once per game round. Anytime, anywhere, so your friend was right. Sorry we weren't more clear on that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
Whoever controls the gangster can use the ability once per game round. Anytime, anywhere, so your friend was right. Sorry we weren't more clear on that!

Ok. So, the game continues, and my opponent uses the re-roll. We get to the Racketeer, and I switch influence markers, so I now control Marco. I assume I also get access to the reroll, as the once per round criteria was not exhausted by the previous player?

The game continues, and we reach the Counselor position where the Marco card is located. Can I use the location action of placing the 3 neutral markers as the re-roll was performed during another gangsters action? Or do I need to remember that a re-roll was used and so the action turn is passed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
The reroll is not an action, it's an innate ability. And if Marco uses it once, regardless of who controls him per round, he can't use it again.

I suppose we could have included a marker to put on him to remind you that you've used it - I just figured that people would remember, since he can only use it once per turn. If you can't remember, use some sort of marker - perhaps the extra Omerta token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this brings up another question for me. When you choose actions you can choose either the card's action or the positions action. So if you use the reroll ability on the card wouldn't you just tap the card to show that his action has been completed and the controlling player isn't able to use the Counselor's board ability?

Sorry I don't have the game in front of me to check text.

Luke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lanewalkerx wrote:
So if you use the reroll ability on the card wouldn't you just tap the card to show that his action has been completed and the controlling player isn't able to use the Counselor's board ability?

But as we have just been told it's not an action but an innate ability, I would think you don't tap, and instead can use the actions associated with the position regardless of re-roll or not. So, in my example, you can place three neutral markers even if you used the ability to re-roll earlier.

(I'm going for 3 out of 3 wrong here!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.