Hide
7 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: North Sea Oil + Aldrich Ames Remix + Scoring Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R P
msg tools
Played another game yesterday (and lost as US with only 1 points after turn 10) but I had an interesting situation in turn 10.

I was US and earlier this turn, USSR played North Sea Oil, which allowes me to play an 8th card if I wanted.

Forward to turn 10, round 7. USSR plays its last card and is finished for the game. I have 1 round + 1 optional round left and I have 2 cards in my hand. 1 (unfavorable) scoring card and Aldrich Ames Remix. I also have the China card, but that card is never counted as the hand size.

My thought was as following: In turn 7 I play Aldrich Ames Remix, which causes me to expose my hand and USSR has (?, there is no "may" mentioned in the text, so it is mandatory) to discard 1 card. I am allowed to play this card, because I should be able to play the scoring card in turn 8, therefore not holding the scoring card. Since I only have 1 card (which is a scoring card) this card is discarded and USSR misses out on 6 points.

Is this correct? Technically I didn't hold the scoring card, which is the only restriction AFAIK.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fine, you had another AR coming, but even if you didn't you can play Ames Remix in AR 7 and the USSR can only discard the last card you have - they have no choice due to the card text.

The held card is not checked until Step F of the Sequence of Play and Action Rounds conclude in Step D, so some cards like Ames, 5 Year Plan etc. although ostensibly an event for one side, can actually be of benefit to the other side if played in the last AR and used to force the opponent to discard a card you don't want played, while giving you the benefit of the Ops from the card.

You can also use this to get rid of a bad USSR event, if you get Ames in turn 8 or 9 - this requires you to play everything in your hand that turn (unless you use China) but if you can arrange it right it can take the pressure off, plus whatever event you dodge is almost certainly not coming back into the game later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Rudge wrote:
Is this correct?

Yup, and you could even play the China card for your 8th AR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R P
msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Mark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
Rudge wrote:
Is this correct?

Yup, and you could even play the China card for your 8th AR.

If you do play the China card on the 8th AR, don't forget possession of the China card is a 2VP swing (it's worth 1 for whoever has it at the end) so any play you make with it needs to get you at least 3VP to be worth it.

That said, as long as one sides isn't completely dominating everywhere on the board, it should generally be possible to get a 3VP swing from playing the China card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially if you get two consecutive plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Especially if you get two consecutive plays.

Definitely. You're getting OPs from Ames, then 4 or 5 more from the China card. That's probably worth 3VP somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.