Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Traits and rolls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Kenworthy
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Kyra has a strength of d6 and melee of strength+2, so d6+2.

Am I right that strength is a skill, and melee is a trait?

So if a boon or bane or whatever calls for a melee check Kyra rolls d6+2.

But what if she didn't have a melee trait? Would should roll her strength (d6) or would should make a no-trait roll (d4)?

I think the answer is she makes a no-trait d4 roll. Which makes sense and means the 'raw' strength (or any other skill) roll is only made if the check is specifically just 'strength'.

Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Most monsters can be defeated with a combat check. Weapons
and many other cards that can be used during combat generally
tell you what skill to use when you attempt a combat check; if you
don’t play such a card, use your Strength or Melee skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CountBrass wrote:
So Kyra has a strength of d6 and melee of strength+2, so d6+2.

Am I right that strength is a skill, and melee is a trait?

So if a boon or bane or whatever calls for a melee check Kyra rolls d6+2.

But what if she didn't have a melee trait? Would should roll her strength (d6) or would should make a no-trait roll (d4)?

I think the answer is she makes a no-trait d4 roll. Which makes sense and means the 'raw' strength (or any other skill) roll is only made if the check is specifically just 'strength'.

Is that right?
In general you are correct. The post in between is concerning combat checks specifically where the required skills should be read as 'Strength/Melee'

As far as it being a skill or trait, they are all skills. Traits are actually a keyword for the type that a card is specifically, such as a spell being Magic, Divine, etc.

Skills are skills, and all things listed in the skill block are skills. Some skills are derived skills, such as in your instance, Melee is a derived skill of Strength. It's the Strength die plus a modifier.

If a card or effect would boost a derived skill, it works only on that skill, but if a card or effect would boost a non-derived skill, it also bumps any derived skills.

For your specific example, though, you are correct. If a card specifically calls for a Melee check, and a character does not have the Melee skill, they would, indeed, use a d4.

However, if the check in question is a combat check, then as the above poster stated, combat checks by default are Strength/Melee, not just Melee, so you could use Melee if you had it, or Strength if you didn't. However, if you have a card that specifically helps with a Melee check, taking the d4 might be more beneficial, such as if a character had a strength of d6. If a card the character had added 1d10 to a Melee check, instead of rolling d6 for strength, you could roll d4+d10 for Melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kenworthy
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I understand that. Perhaps melee was the wrong one to choose as an illustration.

What about if the check was Perception?

If my char doesn't have a Perception skill do they use their Wisdom or do they use d4?

If the former then when does one ever roll a d4 for being untraited?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
CountBrass wrote:
What about if the check was Perception?

If my char doesn't have a Perception skill do they use their Wisdom or do they use d4?

d4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.