Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Component issue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Buckmaster
United States
Ada
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would share my experience with everyone on the offchance that someone else had a similar issue and this was a normal behaviour for GF9. I want to start this off by saying that I am a huge GF9 fan because I won Spartacus in a contest and it was an amazing surprise at a rough time in my life. When I heard that they were releasing firefly I couldn't wait. I paid over $120

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200953797837

to get a copy from someone who went to gencon, thats how excited I was. I get the copy, still sealed in factory shrinkwrap and open it up and its short a yellow ship. Naturally I notified GF9 and here is the response I recieved back.

Quote:
Jeremy,

Firefly isn't being released until the 2nd week in Oct. Unfortunately all of my incoming copies are sold. I can send you another ship when the second wave arrives. This should be sometime after the holidays. Please feel free to email back at this time. I will keep this ticket open.

Thank you,

Andrew Smith


So I am waiting till the first of the year, that seems off to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smallish company and only their third board game. One could argue that they know enough about miniatures to make a few extras, but I find it reasonable. I was missing a couple of cards from my Dungeon Petz (which, as opposed to a player piece, actually impacted the game), and Czech Games also made me wait for a second wave.

Are we perhaps getting too cocky and used to premium service? His response is short and polite, whereas the horror-stories told about Wiz-Kids, among others, seem truly off to me.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Key West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
VShadowHeart wrote:

So I am waiting till the first of the year, that seems off to me.


That is unusual. Andrew could very well be young or new. You might consider asking to speak to his boss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VShadowHeart wrote:
When I heard that they were releasing firefly I couldn't wait. I paid over $120


Crazy!!!!! soblueYou could have bought 3 or 4 other games with that money.
Just wait. I can do it, you can do.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all and it's not like missing the ship piece will prevent you from playing the game at all. Absolute worse case in a 4 player game is someone uses another item as their ship indicator.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So what a lot of people think is game companies have tons of game parts just lying around.

Most games these days are printed, manufactured and then boxed and sealed overseas. Meaning that the companies selling them only end up getting complete copies of the game. This means when they send replacement parts they have to actually crack open a copy of the game and pull out the missing piece.

GF9 is a small company and I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but I what most companies do is keep a small number of copies to the side(say 10) that they expect to crack open and replace parts from miss packs. So yeah its odd they say they wont get you the part till the Holidays but not much you can do about it. You can still play the game just fine without the one ship so its not a huge issue but it still does suck a bit.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
nilus wrote:

Most games these days are printed, manufactured and then boxed and sealed overseas. Meaning that the companies selling them only end up getting complete copies of the game. This means when they send replacement parts they have to actually crack open a copy of the game and pull out the missing piece.


This makes perfect sense to me. The game is not officially supported yet because it's not officially released yet. They don't have extra bits right now. They will after the game has been released to general retail (I should hope.)

They were obviously on a tight schedule for Gencon and took every copy they had at the time to the con. Either that, or they're holding on to whatever copies they still have to fill pre-orders. Imagine if you were someone who pre-ordered the game, and you get a little note saying your pre-ordered copy will be delayed because they had to crack it open and mail off the yellow ship to someone else who bought a copy at GenCon. Would that be any better?

I don't think it's fair to get uppity at GF9 about their customer service for a game that isn't even out yet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel George
United States
Orcutt
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to sound selfish but....Mid October? Still waiting on pre-order.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think they anticipated the game to sell quite as well as it did, which is why they won't have extras on hand. And the first batch was delayed on the ship because of a huge typhoon, so they don't even have the copies that they sold out of yet.

It's not a great situation, but not one that they could control really. As a small company, I expect they had to limit their first couple of print runs a bit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Landon Sommer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I would point out two things, Hopefully both helpful.

Game companies usually used damaged copies of their game as a way to supply these shortage/mispack issues. I'm betting they haven't had much of that since retailers haven't even received them. It's still a shame that you have to wait to get your ship for the full experience.

Second, see if you can find an issued of the GTM from August, I believe. It had the artful dodger in it. It may not satisfy your need for the yellow ship, but it's a pretty cool seafoam green and it will give you an alternate player board as well.

I hope you can enjoy your game until then!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VShadowHeart wrote:
I thought I would share my experience with everyone on the offchance that someone else had a similar issue and this was a normal behaviour for GF9. I want to start this off by saying that I am a huge GF9 fan because I won Spartacus in a contest and it was an amazing surprise at a rough time in my life. When I heard that they were releasing firefly I couldn't wait. I paid over $120

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200953797837

to get a copy from someone who went to gencon, thats how excited I was. I get the copy, still sealed in factory shrinkwrap and open it up and its short a yellow ship. Naturally I notified GF9 and here is the response I recieved back.

Quote:
Jeremy,

Firefly isn't being released until the 2nd week in Oct. Unfortunately all of my incoming copies are sold. I can send you another ship when the second wave arrives. This should be sometime after the holidays. Please feel free to email back at this time. I will keep this ticket open.

Thank you,

Andrew Smith


So I am waiting till the first of the year, that seems off to me.

So, you become a fan of the company because you win something... company gains $0.

You then buy a game off of ebay, which the company gets $0 off of.

Then you ask for a free replacement, which the company says they will get to you when they have it, and the company gets $0.

Maybe our expectations are a little high?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.