Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have said that I will write some things about mechanics of the game. So here it comes.

Vikings is a game driven by cards. At the beginning every player gets 6 cards form one action cards deck and at the beginning of every next turn you get another two cards. During your turn you can use as many cards as you want but you have to remember that every other turn you will get only 2 cards.

There are 3 kinds of cards.

Wind cards let you move your drakkar. As your goal is to sail to three villages at the board and go back to your harbor (commonly done in two or three voyages) you would use them a lot. But you can sail only at one of 2 directions depicted on the most wind cards.
There is also another movement possibility which is rowing. You can move at any possible direction by rowing but it always ends your turn.

Event cards let you to execute some special effects. Generally they are directed at other players to make some bad things to them like making them discard some cards from their hand or move their drakkar in not wanted direction. There are also cards helping you (or other players).
Most of event cards can be used for sailing. But in this specific situation the special power does not work. Reaction cards let you react on other players cards played or on standard actions they or you want to do, like attacking other players.

Lastly hero cards. Hero cards are played at your drakkar and they depict heroes who sail with you and help you during the game. Some of them give you flat bonus for something like berserker who helps you in attacks and some give you some extra power to use once a round.
You can have only 3 heroes in your crew. As the goal of the game is to bring three daughters of thanes to your harbor you would need space at your drakkar for them cause daughter cards are also heroes and everyone take one space at your drakkar.

So generally you sail, take daughter cards to your drakkar in villages of different colours and bring them back. But in the meantime there are other players who can attack you (if their drakkar is in the same space as yours) and throw some bad cards (events) at you.

And there is a sea monster which blocks you from sailing into the space it is in.

To attack other player you have to use standard action. And you can use only one standard action every turn (unless you have valkyrie in you drakkar ). Standard actions let you attack other players, sea monster, pillage villages, make a feast (bring daughters from your drakkar to your harbor making them safe from other players) and make a sacrifice (change cards).

Fight resolution is simple. You throw d6, add all modifiers and have a result. 4 and more and you have won. Winning let you take one card from loser and one card from the action deck and move lost drakkar one space. The same defender gets if you lose. BUT. If you get 6 or more you can also take one of his crew members and take him/her to your ship.
That was mechanic in short.

The game is really easy ruleswise but very fun and full of tactics and strategy during play.

Would you try to be the fastest and bring three daughters in one try ? Possible, but you would be very vulnerable without any heroes other then daughters in your drakkar. So other jarls would attack you, if you would not be fast enough. You can try to make it in 2 or 3 voyages deciding what to do as situation would develop. Really it is very important what you do according to moves of other players.
And situation can change rapidly if someone is too hasty and make mistake.

What I really like about this game is that cards you get are not so important as you might think. Much more are decisions in the game. Offcourse there is luck of the draw, but believe me, getting best cards and playing them not always leads you where you want.
It is because game autobalances itself in great way. If you are in front of others they will use their cards against you. They will send seamonster to make your life harder and they will attack you if they would see the chance for winning.
So you have to be really carefull what you play and when. If you have great event card it may be wise to keep it until the really important moment to use it. Judging when the moment comes is not so easy and comes with expiriennce.

One of the moments, I remember from tests the best, was when one of the testers, who played it many times and always thought it is generally luck driven, after losing again and watching other player winning again, said with thinky face: really, you have to learn this one.

It is because there are a lot of subtleties you have to see and use for yourself.

Another thing I really like is that attacking is really cheap in comparison to many other games I know.
Fights really change things in a game but they are not devastating to any player. Even if you lose it is really not that bad and you can still play strong game even after few loses.
But in the endgame it begins to be more and more important. If somebody has a daughter at his drakkar which is only one you have not, taking a daughter from him would be really important (if you have the way to escape far from others or to defend yourself).
Here the simple mechanic shines for me. Look at the berserker. He adds 1 to your attack roll. It only makes your chance of winning 1/6 better but it also makes your chance to steal a crewmember 2 times better then without him. And if you have a card adding one to the throw suddenly you have 50% chances to take what you want.
There are other cards who can help you but I do not want to write about everything. Skald (a hero) for example let you take crewmember from other drakkar at 50%. When you play him to your drakkar other players know it is not wise to sail near you

But in the end what is most important is that the game is really fun. It is very emotional when you try to get to your harbor with your third daughter and other players sail to catch you. The situation can change from moment to moment or you can be able to get to you harbor. There are a lot of fun and shouts during play.

When we show the game at conventions, the table with Vikings is always most loud and people come to see what happens there. I have seen many times when people were waiting to play after they watched how other play it.

Any questions about mechanic or how play goes, please ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Are the Sea Monsters depicted as purely a negative stereotype?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

Are the Sea Monsters depicted as purely a negative stereotype?

Actually there is only one of them.

I would say it is shown as positive as possible.
He does not attack itself but blocks the way

But for sure can be overused by players which now scares me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Kühle
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
designer
play or die
badge
It is not enough to win - everyone else must also lose
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great! The game will perfectly fit in our gaming group

But one question: Does everyone have 3 daughters? Because otherwise it wouldn't be possible to win after one player secured one daoughter from another player in his harbour?

Thanks!

And my standard question: When can I preorder? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think the game wouldn't work 2p? Maybe using 2 drakkars each...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 4 kinds (colours) of daughter cards.
3 of each in the game.
All starts in 4 one coloured stacks near the board.
You can have only one of a colour in one time.
And you have to bring three of them to your harbor (it is assumpted that you begin with daughter of your colour in harbor).
So let say you are yellow. You can not take yellow daughter to your drakkar. BUT, you can take her from other longship. In the situation you discard her and she goes again to her starting stack and is available to take for other players at her village.
The same if you have blue one in your drakkar or harbor. You can steal her from other players drakkar and she goes back to the stack.
If you have a daughter in your drakkar and you steal the same coloured one from other drakkar it is your choice, which one goes to the stack (cause sometimes one of them can be sick and when she is sick, you have to make her healthy before stacking her in your habror).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MacTele wrote:
So let say you are yellow. You can not take yellow daughter to your drakkar. BUT, you can take her from other longship. In the situation you discard her and she goes again to her starting stack and is available to take for other players at her village.

So I take when you win a naval battle and the loser has one of your daughters onboard, instead of boarding your ship she goes instantly back to your village. Bu what happens when other players succesfully reach their villages with your daughters? are they lost, or can you somehow rescue them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you put a daughter in your war camp (after you sail to your harbor with dauhter in a crew) by making a feast standard action she would stay there to the end of the game.
The goal is to be first one to bring 3 (other coloured) daughters to your warcam (harbor).
So if you want to take your coloured (or any other) daughter from other player you have to do it before that player sail to his harbor and make a feast.
Believe me, there are methods to do this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds and looks awesome. I hope it doesn't take long to have it available in the US. I showed the available images and told my wife about the game and she also thinks it seems awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The next preview (with some pictures) is here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1044796/vikings-preview-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.