Subject: A few questions after the first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got this played with a mate yesterday, and now the questions arise.

1. does the threat from engaged monsters count towards the quest when we're checking whether we 're making progress or not?

2. If I have engaged monsters in the last round, didnt kill them - do they go back to the planning stage (Im guessing no), if they are still engaged to me, can the other player then attack the monsters instead (so he gets them to his engaged area?)

3. On the first quest, passage through mirkwood, there are 3 quest icons for which cards to have in the encounter deck, I put all 3 in it, but on the scneario cards the Tree icon is enlarged compared to the others - is there a reason for that?

4. Allies can only defend if they are Sentinels, can they commit to a quest or do they need a "title" for that too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, it does not

2. They do not return to the staging area (unless a treachury or shadow card force you to do it). So the other player can only attack it with a character that has the "ranged" trait

3. Nothing that has to worry you for the way you play. It is typical

4. Allies you play can defend against an enemy engaged with you wheather or not they are sentinels. Sentinel trait gives them the opportunity to defend for another player. Every one can attack, defend or commit to quest unless their card specifies differently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-lcg/suppo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pouvla wrote:
So I got this played with a mate yesterday, and now the questions arise.

1. does the threat from engaged monsters count towards the quest when we're checking whether we 're making progress or not?

No, once engaged they're no longer in the staging area and don't count towards threat when questing.

Quote:
2. If I have engaged monsters in the last round, didnt kill them - do they go back to the planning stage (Im guessing no), if they are still engaged to me, can the other player then attack the monsters instead (so he gets them to his engaged area?)

No on both counts. In general, once an enemy is engaged with you, it stays there unless you kill it or you are knocked out of the game by losing all your heroes. There are, naturally, various card effects that can change this.

Quote:
3. On the first quest, passage through mirkwood, there are 3 quest icons for which cards to have in the encounter deck, I put all 3 in it, but on the scneario cards the Tree icon is enlarged compared to the others - is there a reason for that?

Just that that is the icon for that quest. There is no gameplay effect.

Quote:
4. Allies can only defend if they are Sentinels, can they commit to a quest or do they need a "title" for that too?

Allies can freely quest or attack or defend against enemies engaged with you. The Sentinel keyword allows them to defend against enemies engaged with other players, just as the Ranged keyword allows them to attack enemies engaged with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No. The idea is you are dealing with their threat by engaging them.

2. Unless a card effect says otherwise, they do not go back to the staging area.

3. No significance as far as game play. You did this correctly.

4.allies and heroes can all commit to a quest or defend, or whatever unless a card effect says otherwise. You are misunderstanding sentinel. Sentinel means they can defend another player from enemies that are engaged with them instead of you, if you want. Otherwise, they can quest/ defend for you.

Welcome to LOTR LCG... You will love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the fast and good answers, cant wait now to get home and play it again

one question...how do you like my avatar? Just got it from my geekmod earned gg

/edit

Just thought of another issue, do I miss the coop bit in this? Seems like theres nothing that 2 players really do together, no cards to help the other player or anything like that (we come straight from the pathfinder card game btw)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Frizzell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pouvla wrote:
Just thought of another issue, do I miss the coop bit in this? Seems like theres nothing that 2 players really do together, no cards to help the other player or anything like that (we come straight from the pathfinder card game btw)

Just a few examples:

1. Many attachments can be played on other players' cards. As long as the card doesn't specifically say that you need to play on a hero/ally in your control, it's fair play.

2. Sentinel and Ranged keywords. Sentinel allows one of your heroes/allies to defend against an attack from an enemy engaged with another player. Ranged is similar, but for the attack phase; i.e. you can attack an enemy engaged with another player.

3. Many cards that state "choose a player" or "choose a hero" that don't specifically state the "you control" clause can also be used on other players. One example of this is Theodred's ability. He is able to give one resource to any hero that is committed to the quest. This allows you to give resources not only to your own heroes, but also to the heroes of other players.

Of course, this all depends on deck composition and play style. It is completely possible to play two player solitaire with this game, but I don't think that's the intention of the designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has tons of decisions to make between your co-op partners. One player may send more characters on quest because the two of you have decided that the other player would engage any enemies that come off the encounter deck, and play a feint on the second players enemy to stop them from attacking.

That's just one of many examples of how this game encourages group play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahh thanks, now I see theres a ton more coop than I thought there was

Another question has crept up though...If we dont commit any chars to questing, do we get the threat amount from the quest back to hurt us then? In the rulebook it seems like we need to have some committed before it calculates if theres quest progress or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you add the threat in the staging area minus the will power that you commit. If you send no one, all the threat in the staging area is added to your threat counter. The extra quest points you have from sending people to quest is added to your current location first, and the overflow goes onto your current quest stage.

Overflow from your quest stage is lost and doesn't overflow onto the next quest stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haha, we massivly cheated on our first play then - guess its gonna be abit harder next time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.