United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The shaded portion reads:

Quote:
Select a Province or City with Troops. They free Sweep in place, then free Assault.

The text says "They" after discussing Troops in the prior sentence. Does this mean that in a City space ONLY the Troops would Sweep in place and Assault - not any Police in the space? Or does the rule for Govt Sweep and Assault in Cities still apply, and police already in the space participate in both?

I 100 percent realize I am nitpicking over words here but want to get it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Don, not at all, this is an important distinction. You are right the first time: "they" refers back to "Troops". Only the Troops get to Sweep and Assault. This Event represents the Cuban Army in action, without the Police. Regards, vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zel zelus
Australia
sydney
nsw
flag msg tools
mb
Can DR (or other) controll the sweep/Assault if they take the event ?? Ie Get the Govt to sweep and eliminate its opponents or is it the Govt's choice??

(hows that for Machiavellian??)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of this Event, yes! Sort of...

Here are the details -- first, the key rule:

Quote:
5.1 Executing Events
When a Faction executes an Event, it carries out the Event text literally (sometimes involving actions or decisions by other Factions). Unless otherwise specified, the executing Faction makes all selections involved in implementing the text, such as which pieces are affected.
EXAMPLE: The Government executes the unshaded text of “Eulogio Cantillo”. It would choose the space and which Faction would March its Guerrillas. The Marching Faction would then choose the March destination.

So, looking at the shaded text of the Event:

Quote:
Dictator backs general’s offensive: Select a Province or City with Troops. They free Sweep in place, then free Assault.

Whoever executes the Event would select the Province or City, and the Govt Troops would have to Sweep and Assault there. So DR, say, could choose a Province that had M26 forces present with some Govt Troops.

However, it's still the Govt Troops that Assault (and only the Govt Faction can Assault, 5.1.1 4th bullet), so if multiple Insurgent Factions are in the space, the Govt player (or bot) would be choosing which Factions to target (it would have to target at least one present, 3.1 2nd para). Therefore it would be advisable for DR to choose a place where no DR are present (or work out an arrangement with the Govt ahead of time).

Cheers! Volko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi, I'm having a bit of a situation with Eulogio Cantillo in a game I am playing, which I detail in another thread (see http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17063474). And so I was searching the forums for what people had to say about this card.

Given the rule 5.1. about executing events, in particular the bit that says "the executing Faction makes all selections involved in implementing the text", it seems the Govt can also choose to execute the non-shaded text with the effect that the Govt can selects a faction that then has to send all its guerrillas out of a selected space (in which there are troops). This is a rather handy way of getting back a city in which troops and guerrillas fight for control, as happens to be the case in my game right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
masil wrote:
Given the rule 5.1. about executing events, in particular the bit that says "the executing Faction makes all selections involved in implementing the text", it seems the Govt can also choose to execute the non-shaded text with the effect that the Govt can selects a faction that then has to send all its guerrillas out of a selected space (in which there are troops).

Correct.

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.