Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying these for next Halloween's games:

Races:

Pumpkins [6] [1 Great Pumpkin token with unconquerable shape]
At the end of your conquest phase, you may place the Great Pumpkin in any of your regions, that region is unconquerable and scores 1 extra coin. At the end of each player's turn (including you), that player scores 1 extra coin for each region adjacent to the Great Pumpkin.

FAQ: If the region with the Great Pumpkin is abandoned, place it in your hand. You may move the Great Pumpkin each turn. Both you and your opponents may score extra.

Bogeymen [5]
You need 2 race tokens less to conquer regions controlled by an active race that hasn't yet taken its second turn.
They prey on the youngest ones.

Witches [7] [8 Black Cat tokens]
Each time an active race conquers one of your regions, you may place a Black Cat token on that race's Special Power banner. Banners with a Black Cat on them give no abilities. Remove all Black Cat tokens when the Witches decline.
Curses!
FAQ: Remove all special tokens given by that power. If a race with a black cat declines, the black cat stays there.

Black Lagoon Creatures [6]
You may conquer the Lake, and may do so as your first conquest. While you control the Lake, all other players score 1 coin less for regions adjacent to it. On decline, can keep control of the Lake, but adjacent regions return to normal.

Powers:

Trick-or-Treating [4]
Each turn, at the start of your conquest phase, each other player may give you 1 coin. You need 1 race token less to conquer regions controlled by players who don't.

Candy [5]
Each player can't conquer more than one Candy region per turn. Keeps working in decline.
Delicious, but it's dangerous to overeat them.

Spooky [5]
Races can't conquer Spooky regions on their first turn. Keeps working in decline.

Re-Animated [4]
At the start of your conquest phase, receive 1 race token from the tray.

Criticisms? Questions? Any artists want to try their hand at them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trick or treat sounds like a power that would work pretty well even without a halloween theme. I like the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put the files on here once you do them Pere. These sound very interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Want me to do an overview of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Want me to do an overview of them?

Please do! I don't think I'll change these abilities (only their wordings), and I still have one more related idea taking shape ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Alright then lets get to work.
senseless wrote:

Pumpkins [6] [1 Great Pumpkin token with unconquerable shape]
At the end of your conquest phase, you may place the Great Pumpkin in any of your regions, that region is unconquerable and scores 1 extra coin. Players score 1 extra coin for their regions adjacent to the Great Pumpkin.
FAQ: If the region with the Great Pumpkin is abandoned, place it in your hand. You may move the Great Pumpkin each turn. Both you and your opponents may score extra.

Not sure on this one. It's going to be worth a lot of points especially on turn 1 with the obvious result of opponents rushing you after you come onto the board. For a point Scoring ability 6 units is a lot to have and if they get linked to a good defense ability like Heroic or Bivouacking it can easily be 5 points a turn that your oppoennts won't be able to do much about. I'd at the very least take away the bonus point for the Pumpkin region but I can't say for sure that it's balanced.

Quote:
Bogeymen [5]
You need 2 race tokens less to conquer an active race region on that race's first turn.
They prey on the youngest ones.

Don't like this one. the basic strategy with this one is to steamroll whatever faction is about to go into decline (effectively destroying their game) and then decline immediately to avoid the detriment. I don't really see that as being very fun or fair to the player who effectively loses Russian roulette.

Quote:
Trick-or-Treating [4]
Each turn, at the start of your conquest phase, each other player may give you 1 coin. You need 1 race token less to conquer players who don't.

Decline and active or just active? I feel like this is fine. Kinda like a Thieving-Vengence combo put together. If it feels too strong when you play with it than give the opponents a +1 defense if they pay you but it's probably okay.

Quote:
Candy [5]
Each player can't conquer more than one Candy region per turn. Keeps working in decline.
Delicious, but it's dangerous to overeat them.

Don't see anything obviously wrong with this one.

Quote:
Spooky [5]
Races on their first turn can't conquer Spooky regions.

The biggest issue with this one is that any turn that 1 or fewer races comes into the board all you have is a weak Diplomatic power. I'd advise expanding it to the race while in decline and see if that works and if it's too strong than reduce their numbers to 4.

I've saved your absolute worst power for last.

Quote:
Witches [7] [8 Black Cat tokens]
Each time you conquer a race (active or declined), you may place a Black Cat token on that race's race or power banner. Banners with a Black Cat on them give no abilities (nor penalties). At the end of each player's turn (after scoring) that player may remove any number of Black Cat tokens from his race(s).
Curses!

No no 1000 times no. Seriously what's up with the sudden influx of "forget helping myself, lets just screw over other players" variants that everyone has created all of a sudden.

I've said this many times and it looks like I'll have to say it again. A power that simply screws over another player Is not a good power and does not bring good mechanics into the game. The problem is they do not benefit the people using them and they hurt the players who are targeted by them so ultimately the people who benefit are the opponent who did not get targeted so basically what you might as well rename it to what it really is: King Makers [7][8 Screw You tokens]

Turning off specific player abilities scales horribly, is widely unfair, and brings terrible mechanics into the game. No, it is not a good ability cause you can "turn off the abilities of whatever player 'helps' you the most," no it is not a fair ability cause you can "turn off the abilities of the leader." These are the arguments that people try to use whenever someone makes a "Screw You I'm a King Maker" ability.

First of all it scales badly and is unfair since it is very lopsided on how badly affected Races and powers are. Races with large numbers (8 and up) for the most part are 100% immune to it whereas powers and factions with low numbers are wrecked. Further it very unfair for the majority of defense token abilities cause not only do they lose their defense immediately but they cannot use them next turn so they get pinged for 2 turns. It's even worse for abilities that are non-renewable or take time to build up. Oh you have 2 regions with Halfling holes on them. Lets just remove those from the board permanently. What you also spent 4 turns putting fortresses down? Gone!!!

Second, it's a terrible power. Someone once had a similar turn off power and said to me well you can turn off the abilities of whatever player 'helps' you the most. Sadly this is flawed thinking. Consider this. Why does the Gnome defense work so effectively (you are immune to other player's abilities used to conquer you)? The reason it's so effective is it makes your regions less appealing to your opponents to go after than other regions. Suppose you use a Black Cat to "turn off" an offense power, sounds good right? Well lets re-phrase what you did to show what you actually did. "While this player is conquering regions all other players are immune to this ability". Whoa wait a minute, you wanted to help yourself not all the other players; however that is exactly what you've just done. Their regions are no more appealing to go after than your regions are because you've not only given yourself immunity but them too. So I ask you this who do you think the player who's ability was shut off will go after? He's not going to be very happy with you that's for sure and you're regions are no less appealing to go after than anyone else's are.

Third: "It's fair!!!! you can "turn off" the abilities of the leader!!!!!"
And if you pick wrong leader congrats you've just more than anything else succeeded in showing everyone that your ability is just "Screw You I'm a King Maker".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

These were meant for flavour reasons, not for serious play, but fair's fair.

You've convinced me with the witches, I'll try them giving black cats when attacked instead. After all, witches want to be left alone and cast curses on those bothering them.

I think you've misunderstood the pumpkins and the bogeymen.

The great pumpkin gives extra coins to all adyacent regions, yours or not; the idea is these lands are blessed with a higher harvest and who wouldn't want that?

Bogeymen prey on the newcomers. I get a new race and do my first turn and until the start of my second turn, bogeymen have an advantage against my newbies. This ability surely can be better written.

Will try Spoody working on decline too. Thanks for your opinions and your interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changed first post. Added Re-Animated Black Lagoon Monsters.

New witches curse attacking races! Cursed races shouldn't feel anything different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.