Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This modification will make your B-Wing fighter 'fly' horizontally instead of vertically. It's an easy mod, completely reversible and took me about 2 minutes. That said, I accept no responsibility for any damage sustained if you follow these instructions.

First off, get a sharp craft knife and slip the blade in between the B-Wing engines and the end of the flight stand connector, being careful not to scrape off any paint. Give the blade a slight twist, the aim being to 'crack' or weaken the glue holding the stand to the B-Wing. Repeat this from all sides of the connector.

Next, get your fingernails into the gap where the knife blade was and gently pull and slightly wiggle the flight stand connector loose from the B-Wing. Watch out at all times for the fragile guns of the ship. Once the peg is loose, you can grab it more firmly by the 'L-bend' section and pull it out.

Now rotate the ship 90 degrees and re-insert the peg. You might want to scrape the old glue off first.

Done!

The ship isn't centred on the stand, but it doesn't look bad. You can also cut/snap off the cockpit and orient it to be horizontal, but if you just want a 'quick and dirty' way of flying your B-Wing 'the right way up' without any real alteration to your miniature, this is how it's done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny to me to see how many folks are making these mods to fly their B-Wings "horizontally". When I was younger, I remember always complaining about my Micro Machine B-Wings because they were oriented on their side that way. When I saw that FFG had decided on the "vertical" orientation, I jumped for joy! Finally, a proper, upright B-Wing model!

The grass is always greener, I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the cockpit doesn't rotate and the wings don't fold, I personally would never rotate a B-Wing horizontally even if it was able to do that straight out of the box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
The grass is always greener, I guess...

I'm a big fan of asymmetrical designs, so I much prefer the 'sideways' positioning, but if you like the upright B-Wing, then hey! No work to do :). What makes me laugh is the way everyone is concocting quite technical 'fixes' with magnets, or custom mounting points, when you can just do this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
Since the cockpit doesn't rotate and the wings don't fold, I personally would never rotate a B-Wing horizontally even if it was able to do that straight out of the box...

If they could do that, imagine the price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corran Horn
United States
California
flag msg tools
It's space, there is no up!

The B-wing "modding community" makes me think why I've never seen anybody do this to ALL of their ships and have them angled in different/random directions, as if they were really in a dogfight.

*hint, hint*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nivek5150 wrote:
It's space, there is no up!

The B-wing "modding community" makes me think why I've never seen anybody do this to ALL of their ships and have them angled in different/random directions, as if they were really in a dogfight.

*hint, hint*
You mean something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattersmasher wrote:
I'm a big fan of asymmetrical designs, so I much prefer the 'sideways' positioning, but if you like the upright B-Wing, then hey! No work to do . What makes me laugh is the way everyone is concocting quite technical 'fixes' with magnets, or custom mounting points, when you can just do this!

Yeah. The B-Wing still looks good on its side, I've just been waiting for a "vertical" B-Wing toy/model since I was a kid and am happy to finally get one. I never had the classic Kenner B-Wing ship with the rotating cockpit and was decidedly too old for action figures when the newer series of Star Wars toys started coming out in the mid-90's (though that didn't stop me from buying some Micro Machines and couple of Action Fleet ships).

The closest I could get back then was by playing the X-Wing expansion and Rebel Assault II.

Pew pew pew...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think both horizontal and vertical positions are boring. I prefer mine at a 45 degree angle:

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I prefer mine at a 45 degree angle:
-shnar

Go home, B-Wing, you are drunk :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I personally think both horizontal and vertical positions are boring. I prefer mine at a 45 degree angle:

-shnar
SO sweet!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An even simpler way to do this: Invest in a $7 model saw (fine blade). Saw off the cockpit at the natural join point, and saw through where the flight stand connects to the engines. Superglue them back in any orientation you like. Should be virtually seamless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Yep. Those look great.

Oh, and by the way poo pooers, this is Star Wars, not 2001, not Battlestar Gallactica: There is most definitely an up, and there is most definitely a down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DagobahDave wrote:
An even simpler way to do this: Invest in a $7 model saw (fine blade). Saw off the cockpit at the natural join point, and saw through where the flight stand connects to the engines. Superglue them back in any orientation you like. Should be virtually seamless.

Haven't tried it but others have said the cockpit will pop off without sawing. It is a separate casting pressed into the hull and once removed can be pinned or magnetized to spin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutting, sawing, popping off....wow

What is this the x-wing horror thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.