Rob Poutney
Canada
Paris
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused on the sub-categories under each SKILL on the character cards.

For example, Harsk has DEXTERITY D8, and then under that it says RANGED: DEXTERITY +3

Now, I've been playing (only played one solo game so far) that whenever I have to text DEXTERITY with Harsk, I roll a D8+3. But, now that I look at it... I think I can only get the +3 when I am specifically testing RANGED.

I actually first noticed it when I was going to attempt to gain the Ally SAGE and it said I could test WISDOM 7 to aquire it. I looked at my card and saw that I have WISDOM D6 and then under that, I have PERCEPTION and SURVIVAL which both add +2. I am assuming then that if the ALLY card doesn't mention Survival or Perception under the "check to aquire" box, that I cannot get the +2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Belmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you have it right. Unless the check calls for those skills you use the base stats only
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Poutney
Canada
Paris
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Damn. I was afraid of that. That makes it a bit harder. lol.
I thought Harsk was excellent for anything with dexterity due to the +3. Now, looking through the Banes and Boons etc., I see that very few cards actually use the RANGED keyword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the weapon you use for combat is a ranged weapon, can't you use that for every monster you fight unless ranged weapons are explicitly forbidden for that particular combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Cush1978 wrote:
If the weapon you use for combat is a ranged weapon, can't you use that for every monster you fight unless ranged weapons are explicitly forbidden for that particular combat?

Yes, you can. Harsk's Ranged skill is primarily for Combat checks, when he has a weapon in hand with the Ranged trait (which he should, if you use the recommended starting deck from the rulebook).

And a d8 Dexterity still isn't too shabby for when you're faced with a Dexterity check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPoutney wrote:
Damn. I was afraid of that. That makes it a bit harder. lol.
I thought Harsk was excellent for anything with dexterity due to the +3. Now, looking through the Banes and Boons etc., I see that very few cards actually use the RANGED keyword.

As long as Harsk is using a ranged weapon for a combat check he will be able to use his ranged bonus for 99% of the monsters he will encounter since they almost all require a combat check to defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Poutney
Canada
Paris
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ok, ok... I see.
For a minute there I was thinking: "Why are we just assuming that the combat check has the ranged keyword, or that range can be used to defeat it....just because it makes sense?"
But, I forgot one key thing... It's the WEAPON CARD BEING PLAYED that supplies the trait RANGED.
Duh.
So it's still true... something has to be giving you that particular trait that you see on your character card in order for you to use that benefit. It may be the encounter card itself or the Spell/Weapon played from your hand.

It's still a little foggy in my head, but a couple more play-throughs should clear the smoke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Having Arcane under different areas on different cards throw me off. We have

Intelligence: Arcane

and

Wisdom: Arcane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
Having Arcane under different areas on different cards throw me off. We have

Intelligence: Arcane

and

Wisdom Charisma: Arcane

FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.