Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There appears to be no restriction on Russia declaring war on Germany at any time. While there can be some discussion on the merits of a Russian DOW right after Poland falls (thus causing an immediate German 2 front war), what about the winter before the historical Barbarossa?

In the winter of 40-41, I (as the Russians) can see the Germans are coming. Why not declare war on Germany as he is building up? He will not be able to make much, if any, headway in the bad weather, and I will have an opportunity to move all my factories safely behind the Urals before the German offensive even gets going. Not only that, when he enters Russia proper, I will still get my emergency mobilization and Siberian reserves.

I appreciate the designer allowing maximum options to the players, but it seems to me there should be some consequence to an early Russian DOW.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It is allowed, and has been played-out more than once. It's interesting to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrythesecond
United Kingdom
Camborne
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
A future player sleeps...
mbmbmbmbmb
bpowers wrote:
There appears to be no restriction on Russia declaring war on Germany at any time. While there can be some discussion on the merits of a Russian DOW right after Poland falls (thus causing an immediate German 2 front war), what about the winter before the historical Barbarossa?

In the winter of 40-41, I (as the Russians) can see the Germans are coming. Why not declare war on Germany as he is building up? He will not be able to make much, if any, headway in the bad weather, and I will have an opportunity to move all my factories safely behind the Urals before the German offensive even gets going. Not only that, when he enters Russia proper, I will still get my emergency mobilization and Siberian reserves.

I appreciate the designer allowing maximum options to the players, but it seems to me there should be some consequence to an early Russian DOW.

Thoughts?

I have to agree with you. Following Stalin's purges, and the embarrassing reverses suffered at the hands of the Finns, the Soviet Army was in no condition to contemplate a war with Germany in 1939-40.

My thoughts would be that if Russia DoW Germany prior to June 1941, then Russia should receive proportionately less Mobilisation/Reserve units, dependant upon how much earlier it DoW. That way, it could still be considered an option, depending on other global strategic events, but Russia would not gain a comparative advantage over the Axis.

Just my late-night musings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays out somewhat similar to a East-First strategy by the Germans, which can be viable if you play it correctly. "Correctly" is the operative word there, and frankly I don't have all the answers. There are too many variables with different players.

I will offer this up:

Read closely the rules regarding Emer Mobilization, and check Soviet Belligerence. It's also going to be risky for the Sovs to conduct any annexations for MSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were several reasons Stalin opted for the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact.

1) Stalin expected the War in the West to last years and end in general demoralization and ruin for all participants, opening them up for the Communist Party line. That was actually a very reasonable assumption. His dread was what actually occurred--a one-front Soviet war with the Axis, 22 June 1941-- 6 June 1944.

2) The Great Purge weakened the Red Army's officer corps. Stalin viewed the Purge as necessary to weed out Trotskyites, whom he viewed as corrupt British agents who would drag USSR into a ruinous war with Germany which would benefit the capitalist West.

3) The Red Army feared the abundant 150mm artillery of the German Army, for which the Red Army had no immediate counter in 1939.

The Red Army was quite large in 1939. You could keep it large but punish USSR with DRMs, or by Negative Tech Levels in 1939-1940, to reflect its unpreparedness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.