Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player rolls for a die table, and it's your turn to choose one of the results, is it mandatory

(1) To chose a die?

(2) To resolve the die, you have chosen?

I know, many of you would wonder, why you would ever want to deny to chose a die and to resolve the result of this chosen die.

However, especially with the expansion "Style is the goal", there is at least one situation, in which this behavior could make sense, namely if you would have to get an extra figure via the new die table "with style".

Other situations, where you make informal agreements with other players could make it advantageous to know, if you are allowed to deny taking a die result, or take a die result, but deny to resolve it (note the difference between these two behaviors).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermjard wrote:
If a player rolls for a die table, and it's your turn to choose one of the results, is it mandatory

(1) To chose a die?

(2) To resolve the die, you have chosen?

I know, many of you would wonder, why you would ever want to deny to chose a die and to resolve the result of this chosen die.

However, especially with the expansion "Style is the goal", there is at least one situation, in which this behavior could make sense, namely if you would have to get an extra figure via the new die table "with style".

Other situations, where you make informal agreements with other players could make it advantageous to know, if you are allowed to deny taking a die result, or take a die result, but deny to resolve it (note the difference between these two behaviors).

Emphasis mine:
Stone Age rules wrote:
When a player acquires the card, he immediately rolls as many dice as there are players in the game. Then he places the dice around the card, matching the numbers. Beginning with the player, who acquired the card, each player selects one die. The player takes the corresponding resource and removes the die. The other players follow in clockwise order until all dice are gone and all players have taken 1 item or added food production.

Nothing in this passage reads as though taking the die is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mandatory to choose *and* resolve the action. As mentioned by Curt, there's no room in the rules to interpret the step as optional. You take a die bonus, resolve it, move on. BSW has also the exact same implementation, as the rules dictate: it's mandatory to take a die and resolve it.

It's just like placing two meeples in the love shack. You *have* to take +1 meeple when you resolve it. You can't just place 2 meeples there merely to block someone else and not take +1 meeple (except if you are already at 10 meeples, where you can just place to block and remove).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
It's just like placing two meeples in the love shack. You *have* to take +1 meeple when you resolve it. You can't just place 2 meeples there merely to block someone else and not take +1 meeple (except if you are already at 10 meeples, where you can just place to block and remove).

At least, this is not true. HiG states in his german FAQ very clearly, that you can forfeit ANY location usage on the board, not only the locations you pay for (huts, civ.cards), but ALSO ANY OTHER location (village, resources).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermjard wrote:

I can't ever see a situation where it would make sense to refuse the freebie.

At worst, you place the new guy you don't want on the food spot, and he self sustains, sometimes even generating extra food for you. The only way it could not work to your benefit is if you rolled a nearly impossible string of low numbers.

Which means you have to not only be totally unlucky, but psychic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
At worst, you place the new guy you don't want on the food spot,

I didn't think the "baby" could be reassigned until the next turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
Quote:
At worst, you place the new guy you don't want on the food spot,

I didn't think the "baby" could be reassigned until the next turn?

Indeed. Therefor it's far too simple, to just say, that this additional figure will compensate itself.

If you get this "unwanted offspring" after you have resolved your own figures, you could finish the resolution phase with n food and n+1 figures, which surprisingly forces you to either take -10 points or spend an urgently needed resource in the directly following feeding phase.

This could completely mess up your strategy and can be barely compensated by the fact, that you can use this additional figure NEXT turn to feed itself - if there are any more turns at all, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.