Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Wormhole Madness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Volker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My variant jut got approved. Basic idea is adding some cross-table wormholes to the initial setup to avoid having people playing in their pie slice only with the two adjacent players:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94963/wormhole-madness-var...

We playtested it only once and it led to a much more interactive galaxy. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander DeSouza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I think ideas like this are terrific additions to opening up the potential for conflict in this game. I implemented a similar idea in my games as well, with a lot of success (and posted about it here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11345597#11345597).

My question is why the wormholes were made color-coded. Why not, as in your distinction, make them all "white", able to connect to any other wormhole; would that not maximize the openness of the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobbymcferrin wrote:
My question is why the wormholes were made color-coded. Why not, as in your distinction, make them all "white", able to connect to any other wormhole; would that not maximize the openness of the board?

You could use that as an optional rule if you like. It is more tactical the color-coded way. As soon as you have white wormholes the fun begins anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolkoV wrote:
My variant jut got approved.

What do you mean by saying that it got approved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
TopherMel wrote:
What do you mean by saying that it got approved?
The file he links to got approved by geekmod, a wild guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After having looked at it:

I wondered why colors were necessary, but I liked that it gives you more access to the player opposite you.

But: how would you set up a 3-player game, a 5 player game?

Regardless, I like the concept and having a few more wormholes in the game is great.

I only wonder if this doesn't nerf Planta slightly as they generally do better when they can expand a lot and control their sector through only a single entry port...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For games with less than 6 players we used the ancient homeworlds from the expansion for the missing spots.

The Planta can still explore around the wormhole. In my setup, the wormhole is not connected at all to their starting sector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about coloring the middle semi-circle of x number of hexes with one of the 3 colors, or 2-3 colors on one hex. Then as hexes come up from exploration, players with the wormhole technology could use these to warp to those colored locations in the galaxy as if they were linked next to each other? Maybe even a risk fator if you don't have the tech, a chance some of your ships might explode, so you can still travel them but its got a chance at failing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.