Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
112 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Why "Generation Y" is a bunch of whiny little brats? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone linked to this article on Facebook today: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-but-why/generation-y-unha...

While I think the third point the author makes (the incredibly horseshit-sounding bit about "facebook image crafting") I think the first two are right on. I have interviewed countless people from this group and every last one has such a raging entitlement boner that they're all but impossible to talk to. They think they're special, they think they deserve far more than they're worth, and they're completely unable to process negative feedback. This is what you get from a world of participation trophies and little league games where no one keeps score.

It's my dad's birthday, and after reading this article I sent him an email thanking him for being such a good dad all these years. Especially never letting me win at chess, never going easy on me playing basketball in the driveway, never letting me skip work because I was hungover or tired from staying up all night playing video games, and always, always making sure my brother and I knew that no one was going to hand us shit just for being "special." He taught me that the only path to a good career was hard work, patience, and making the most of the opportunities that come your way. Thanks pop!
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Avatar
Always nice seeing a BGG poster you respect going into full-on dribbling BS mode.

(Unless this is a Tripp parody, which I doubt)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmb
Definitely a generation who's parents loved them too much. Look at us Gen X'ers who hated our parents so much, we couldn't wait to leave and prove we can survive in spite of them.

Gen X: Our hate drives us.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I talk about this pretty extensively in my Child and Adolescent Development class. This book, shows a lot of research supporting the articles thesis

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Americans-Confident-Asserti...

It's called Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled- and More Miserable Than Ever Before
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I've got all kinds of material on this kind of stuff
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
Always nice seeing a BGG poster you respect going into full-on dribbling BS mode.

(Unless this is a Tripp parody, which I doubt)


Good to know I had your respect, I suppose?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Gen X: Our hate drives us.


"Your doubt, it fuels me.
Your hate, it drives me.
The challenge ignites me.
You make me fight harder."




OK, you've pushed me off the fence, I am going to go see these guys next month.

Facing what consumes you is the only way to be free.
Released from those poisonous fears.
Resurrected once and for all.
You want me to hold my tongue
Then why the fuck am I here?
You want me to bottle my rage
Cause you never had the heart to say what I say.
My life, my body, my pride.
You have no opinion, no right.
I've built myself nothing like you.
My refusal is my way of life.
Doubt me, Hate me
You're the inspiration I need
My life, my body, my pride
You have no say
My life, my body, my pride
You don't have say
Facing what consumes you is the only way to be free.
Though I'm still far from perfection.
I stay relevant, I'm still vigilante.
I have so much more to say.
I have so much more to fight for.
I've used your lack of inspiration.
As my awakening, its my ability to live forever
By my own command.
To be vehement, remain confident.
Doubt me, Hate me
You're the inspiration I need
You're all the inspiration I need.
Your doubt, it fuels me.
Your hate, it drives me.
The challenge ignites me.
You make me fight harder.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
Chigwell, Essex, London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Some points I agree with, some points I really dispute.

But the real issue I've got is since when is Gen Y late 70's? I don't think I've ever seen it placed before 1980 before. My wife is '78 and I'd get clocked if I tried to deny her as part of Gen X.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
Some points I agree with, some points I really dispute.

But the real issue I've got is since when is Gen Y late 70's? I don't think I've ever seen it placed before 1980 before. My wife is '78 and I'd get clocked if I tried to deny her as part of Gen X.


The older the oldest living generation gets the more 'kids these days' has to expand to include anyone younger.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Avatar
The main change between Lucy and her parents is that there is no such thing as a stable career any more. You can't get a reasonably well paid job and work your way up a career ladder to a gentle retirement.

That ended with the baby boomers. Any career you embark on is likely to be upended by outsourcing of your job to China or some new technology making you redundant. Even if they had the same green grass career expectation as their parents they are potentially going to struggle to meet it. We are now entering an era where the current retiring generation are potentially going to be better off than their children will at that age. That is the step change.

Poor Lucy is going to have to work until she is in her 70's. No early retirement with a nice pension for her at age 55 with medicare thrown in for free. She is going to have to work until she drops to make the baby boomers interest payments.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
Some points I agree with, some points I really dispute.

But the real issue I've got is since when is Gen Y late 70's? I don't think I've ever seen it placed before 1980 before. My wife is '78 and I'd get clocked if I tried to deny her as part of Gen X.


That's odd. I was born in '80, and I certainly don't identify as Gen X. This description fits the people my age perfectly, whichever consonant you want to assign to our generation.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
The main change between Lucy and her parents is that there is no such thing as a stable career any more. You can't get a reasonably well paid job and work your way up a career ladder to a gentle retirement.



This is such bullshit. Yes, it's true that some jobs are less stable, but the idea that there are no good jobs is ridiculous. And doubly so when your expectation of what makes a job "good" is skewed, as it is for most of the young people I've interviewed in the past five or six years.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
it's all right, guys, Dave is just traveling through the "complain about the younger generation" portion of the circle of life

next week: get off his damn lawn
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Someone linked to this article on Facebook today: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-but-why/generation-y-unha...


Did you read Adam Weinstein's response? http://aweinstein.kinja.com/fuck-you-im-gen-y-and-i-dont-fee...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Someone linked to this article on Facebook today: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-but-why/generation-y-unha...


Did you read Adam Weinstein's response? http://aweinstein.kinja.com/fuck-you-im-gen-y-and-i-dont-fee...


Yeah. Forgive me if I don't take the guy who wrote this paragraph very seriously:

Some whiny little bitch wrote:
So take your “revise your expectations! check your ego!” Horatio Alger bullshit, and stuff it. While you’re at it, stuff this economy. Not this GDP, not this unemployment level: this economy, this financial system that establishes complete social and political control over us, that conditions us to believe that we don’t deserve basic shelter and clothing and food and education and existence-sustaining medical care unless we throw our lives into vassalage and hope, pray, that the lords don’t fuck with our retirements or our coverages. (Maybe if we’re extra productive, someday they’ll do a 4o1K match again, like our ancestors used to talk about!)
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
it's all right, guys, Dave is just traveling through the "complain about the younger generation" portion of the circle of life

next week: get off his damn lawn


This is my generation, you condescending douchebag.

Something something canada something.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't know what good music is either!!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
This is my generation, you condescending douchebag.


1980 is too early to be Gen Y, even if you did watch Thundercats growing up. I get that generational distinctions are blurry at the edges (speaking as someone born in 76 I have never felt particularly Gen-X) but yeah, Gen Y's absolute earliest start point is considered to be 1982.

Also you play boardgames so you are mentally ten years older than you actually are, it's proven with science
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Also you play boardgames so you are mentally ten years older than you actually are, it's proven with science


Younger, fool, not older.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Born in '53. My Dad taught me the same lessons as the OP. God Bless my Dad.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
This is my generation, you condescending douchebag.


1980 is too early to be Gen Y, even if you did watch Thundercats growing up. I get that generational distinctions are blurry at the edges (speaking as someone born in 76 I have never felt particularly Gen-X) but yeah, Gen Y's absolute earliest start point is considered to be 1982.

Also you play boardgames so you are mentally ten years older than you actually are, it's proven with science


From the first sentence of the article:

Quote:
Lucy is part of Generation Y, the generation born between the late 1970s and the mid 1990s.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
This is my generation, you condescending douchebag.


1980 is too early to be Gen Y, even if you did watch Thundercats growing up. I get that generational distinctions are blurry at the edges (speaking as someone born in 76 I have never felt particularly Gen-X) but yeah, Gen Y's absolute earliest start point is considered to be 1982.

Also you play boardgames so you are mentally ten years older than you actually are, it's proven with science


From the first sentence of the article:

Quote:
Lucy is part of Generation Y, the generation born between the late 1970s and the mid 1990s.




If your point is "the author of the article was talking out of their ass" then that kinda colours the rest of your argument unfavourably. The reason Gen Y exists at all as a definable thing is because it begins with the upswing in birth rates in the 1980s as the Boomers started having kids in large numbers - depending on the country, this is usually between 1982 and 1984. Based on your article I could be Gen Y, which makes no sense whatsoever considering my dad was a "war baby" rather than a Boomer.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Some whiny little bitch wrote:
So take your “revise your expectations! check your ego!” Horatio Alger bullshit, and stuff it. While you’re at it, stuff this economy. Not this GDP, not this unemployment level: this economy, this financial system that establishes complete social and political control over us, that conditions us to believe that we don’t deserve basic shelter and clothing and food and education and existence-sustaining medical care unless we throw our lives into vassalage and hope, pray, that the lords don’t fuck with our retirements or our coverages. (Maybe if we’re extra productive, someday they’ll do a 4o1K match again, like our ancestors used to talk about!)


First off, I'm a solid Gen-X'r, but I kind of agree with this paragraph. I don't think it changes any of the conclusions about the psych profile of Gen-Y's. but I do think that that paragraph is an accurate characterization of our society. I also think that you can't go into society expecting it to be something it's not and then whine about it afterwards. If you don't like the way things are, work to change them. Don't expect an existing tiger to change it's stripes, either switch to a lion or breed tigers without stripes. (or just accept the tiger you have)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Avatar
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:
The main change between Lucy and her parents is that there is no such thing as a stable career any more. You can't get a reasonably well paid job and work your way up a career ladder to a gentle retirement.



This is such bullshit. Yes, it's true that some jobs are less stable, but the idea that there are no good jobs is ridiculous. And doubly so when your expectation of what makes a job "good" is skewed, as it is for most of the young people I've interviewed in the past five or six years.


Who said there were no good jobs? I certainly didn't just that there is no such thing as a stable career path. You can't go and get a job at a GM plant and expect to retire from there with a gold watch 50 years later having risen from an apprentice to some kind of supervisory role.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.