GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up last time we played. Never happened before.

A player owning 4 companies at the time wanted to buy 2 trains from one company, thus leaving it with no trains.

The rules state that a company can buy A TRAIN from another company as long as both presidents agree on the trade, of course. It seems that a company can only buy ONE train. That's how we played it so the president of the company bought one train only.

My question is: Is this how it should be played or the spirit of the rule and the game, giving the fact that 1830 allows all of those shenanigans between companies and presidencies, should state that buying (x) TRAINS from other companies it's possible, no matter what (x) represents as long as it doesn't surpass the train limit of the phase?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy as many trains as the train limit allows. There is no limit of buying only one train.

[edit] You do, however, have to pay at least $1 for each train. You can't pay $1 and buy two trains from another company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Soledade wrote:
The rules state that a company can buy A TRAIN from another company as long as both presidents agree on the trade, of course. It seems that a company can only buy ONE train. That's how we played it so the president of the company bought one train only.

A company may buy a train from another company, and then in the same train-buying phase of its operations it may buy another train, and then another, only limited by cash and the current train-limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation is you are NOT limited to only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on JC's comment I would add that the transactions have to be separate, so that at least $1 is paid for each train so purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the company could buy a train from another DIFFERENT company after that. Each purchase is of a single train, but there's no limit imposed provided 2 agreeable parties (companies) participate. There IS a train limit to how many a single company can own, depending on the phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Example, all in a single OR for the operations of CompanyA:

- CompanyA buys a 2T from CompanyB for $X.
- CompanyA buys a 2T from CompanyC for $Y.
- CompanyA buys a 2T from CompanyD for $Z.
- CompanyA buys a 4T from the bank for $300 (all 2Ts rust).
- CompanyA buys a 3T from CompanyE for $Q.
- CompanyA buys a 3T from Company...etc.

Companies B/C/D/E could of course be all different or variously the same company.

A variation:

- CompanyA buys a 3T from CompanyB for $X.
- CompanyA buys a 4T and a 5T from the bank for $750 (train limit falls to 2).
- CompanyA discards the 3T to the Bank Pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, being practical this means that I can buy 2 trains AT ONCE as long as I negotiate both in individual prices. Kind of like paying 2$ minimum for buying 2 trains at once (1$ per train) from one or more different companies?

If this is true (always one by one respecting the train limit and phase change) we played it wrong because we allowed only the purchase of one single train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Soledade wrote:
So, being practical this means that I can buy 2 trains AT ONCE as long as I negotiate both in individual prices. Kind of like paying 2$ minimum for buying 2 trains at once (1$ per train) from one or more different companies?

If this is true (always one by one respecting the train limit and phase change) we played it wrong because we allowed only the purchase of one single train.

There are quite a number of rules ambiguities in 1830 where different groups play the game a little differently. Sometimes in areas which are reasonably significant.

This is not one of those ambiguities.

The posters here are all correct and you played it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Niil
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
dkeisen wrote:
Soledade wrote:

There are quite a number of rules ambiguities in 1830 where different groups play the game a little differently. Sometimes in areas which are reasonably significant.

The posters here are all correct and you played it wrong.

Indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soledade wrote:

You're saying "2 trains" because of the later game phase, right? In the earlier portion of the game when the train limit is larger there is no limit to 2 trains. Put plainly, there is NO limit to how many trains can be purchased in this way, other than the corporation's ownership limit for total number of trains, which cannot be exceeded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Soledade wrote:

Yes.

dkeisen wrote:

Steve Thomas has written the most complete and useful article on 1830 rules interpretations..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
You're saying "2 trains" because of the later game phase, right?

I think there is confusion about what "2 trains" means. I think he is talking about how many trains a company buys (2) and you are thinking he's talking about what kind of trains they are.

But I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
cornjob wrote:
You're saying "2 trains" because of the later game phase, right?

I think there is confusion about what "2 trains" means. I think he is talking about how many trains a company buys (2) and you are thinking he's talking about what kind of trains they are.

But I could be wrong.

I'm just stressing that you can but 2 OR MORE trains (1 at a time) up to the current ownership limit for a given corporation, depending on the game phase. But the number "2" isn't significant. I think the rule is understood after re-reading the OP's last post and I'm just belaboring the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.