Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Zhou
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like stone age. My main complaint though is that the game becomes a little samey after a few plays. I know you get different culture cards and different buildings. But it is only the different order they come up, and you always get to SEE the same cards/buildings for all games.

I haven't played Lords of Waterdeep. But from reading the rules, I think the "lord" cards and the "intrigue" cards add lots of variability to the game. For example, being the XX lord gives you double points for black-cube-quest cards, and then you can adjust your strategy based on that. In other words, getting different lord cards and intrigue cards would make sure you have a different game each time you play.

I wonder whether there's a fan-made expansion to do that? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danithaca wrote:
I like stone age. My main complaint though is that the game becomes a little samey after a few plays. I know you get different culture cards and different buildings. But it is only the different order they come up, and you always get to SEE the same cards/buildings for all games.

I haven't played Lords of Waterdeep. But from reading the rules, I think the "lord" cards and the "intrigue" cards add lots of variability to the game. For example, being the XX lord gives you double points for black-cube-quest cards, and then you can adjust your strategy based on that. In other words, getting different lord cards and intrigue cards would make sure you have a different game each time you play.

You have me intrigued.

Quote:

I wonder whether there's a fan-made expansion to do that? Thanks.

throw something together and post it. See what the other kids think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sounds like fun. Because the Civ cards already encourage you to focus on certain items (farms, tools, etc.), you might want the "Lords" to focus on other things -- amount of some goods, number of Civ cards, types of buildings, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danithaca wrote:

Waterdeep was specifically designed to allow this type of mechanic. The quests that come out in the game a balanced to the point near symmetry so that no one lord is better than the other. The huts in Stone Age don't have a "type" or label in the same way that quests do in Waterdeep, so you already lack an attribute needed in order to make this mechanic work. The best you could do is type huts by the resources required to build them (ie stone huts, gold huts, etc.) but this still may not be balanced. Resources in Stone Age have different costs associated with them; again resources acquisition in Waterdeep has symmetric cost acquisition as part of its design. I don't really see an easy way to implement a similar mechanic in this game.

My best suggestion for a variant might be to do something akin to the starting tiles in TZolkin. Deal each player four cards from the deck and allow them to keep two. This gives each player different starting resources and initial point bonuses using the balance that is already inherent in the game. The problem, of course, is that it makes the starting deck smaller, so maybe you add a rule that if the game ends via decking, you play one additional round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lords cards really don't add a lot of variability IMO. The intrigue cards do however and it would be interesting to see what you come up with that.

The other thing that adds a lot of variability to LoW is the buildings. Only a few buildings get built typically in a game and it also matters when they get built or are available. A fan created set of buildings that work like that for Stone Age would be very interesting.

You could even extend the use of the huts for this where players would go to the top huts on a player stack for resources, but the supplying player would also get a benefit. In LoW both sets of resources (building owner and worker owner) come from the general supply, but you could also make it a barter situation where resources are exchanged or paid by the worker owner.

You could have new cards of the huts and what is available at each hut as well as the price of the resources or the special ability that would be enabled for that player on a given round. An example of a new ability would be the ability to move some number of workers during the resolution phase.

Getting a card in play could involve paying for it to enable it, essentially setting up shop.

Take this far enough and you'll have successfully mashed them into Lords of the Stone Age. Sounds like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.