Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was creepin' on the Kickstarter comments thread and one of the posters asked an interesting question: How many people are planning to play KD:M solo?
I hadn't even really considered it, since my gaming group will be all over this game...so I know that if I bring the game along to gaming nights it is going to get played.
Some rainy day I might try my hand at a solo fight or two, but I don't see that happening very often.

Thought I'd throw it out there for the masses to comment on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game will rock as a solo game. All the elements support it. You don't have hidden card hands, so that isn't an issue. Depending on how my group receives it, I plan on a solo run at the game.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
DEFINITELY playing it solo. I mean, I'd love to get a couple really interested people in on a campaign, but I'll probably run a short solo campaign to familiarize myself with the rules, and if no one wants to jump in with me, I'm totally cool with that. I'll just set up an epic solo campaign and play all the way through!

One of the main reasons I backed this game was because of the solo option. I get really into games like Monster Hunter, and to me this is MH in board game form! So I can see myself very easily getting sucked into a solo campaign of this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely planning on playing solo - I'll probably get a couple friends into it now and then, but my wife is creeped the hell out by most of the art, so I won't be playing it at home with her.

Looking forward to seeing how those AI decks work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that really interesting how many votes for solo play there are...most of the guys on the Kickstarter and now the first three replies here.
I am worried that it will be cumbersome dealing with the equipment and player sheets for 3 or 4 different characters...because based on the difficulty level you'll need at LEAST that many characters in play, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWulffman wrote:
I find that really interesting how many votes for solo play there are...most of the guys on the Kickstarter and now the first three replies here.
I am worried that it will be cumbersome dealing with the equipment and player sheets for 3 or 4 different characters...because based on the difficulty level you'll need at LEAST that many characters in play, lol.

I would agree if it was a single session game. However, in a campaign mode, I am more willing to deal with the book-keeping required to play the game.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWulffman wrote:

I think it won't be any harder than playing Arkham horror solo.
Actually, I expect this to be MUCH easier than that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Flik
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either solo or two player but mainly solo as my gaming group have largely demonized it as exploitive and wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khorgor wrote:
TheWulffman wrote:

I think it won't be any harder than playing Arkham horror solo.
Actually, I expect this to be MUCH easier than that

I've only ever played AH with at least one other person, so there's that. The only games I like playing solo are video games...probably because it does all of the set up for me...heh.
I suppose playing KD:M solo will speed up the crafting and equipping stage of the game. Don't have to deal with people that want to horde all of their own stuff. You just equip the best equipment amongst your characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrFlik wrote:
Either solo or two player but mainly solo as my gaming group have largely demonized it as exploitive and wrong.

Unfortunate. I have not actually shown anything from the game to a couple of people in my group. The unveiling is the part I am looking forward to the most.
My girlfriend figures she's keeping the extra Phoenix I'm getting...putting it on her desk at work or something. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Pooler
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
DEFINITELY playing it solo. I mean, I'd love to get a couple really interested people in on a campaign, but I'll probably run a short solo campaign to familiarize myself with the rules, and if no one wants to jump in with me, I'm totally cool with that. I'll just set up an epic solo campaign and play all the way through!

One of the main reasons I backed this game was because of the solo option. I get really into games like Monster Hunter, and to me this is MH in board game form! So I can see myself very easily getting sucked into a solo campaign of this

I echo this exactly. Should I get some folks interested in a campaign, great! Should be easy to track progress across the year or so it takes us to get together once a month and play through it. But my main draw is a great solo experience, building and watching my settlement grow (or be demolished).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I'd like to get in on a group campaign it will probably be just me going it alone. Should be a great way to pass the time though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure I will get some solo time in with this puppy. Especially in the beginning so I can get the rules and flow of the game down to teach others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Teamski wrote:
I think the game will rock as a solo game. All the elements support it. You don't have hidden card hands, so that isn't an issue. Depending on how my group receives it, I plan on a solo run at the game.

-Ski
+1

I only have intentions of running solo games, and I went all in on all expansions/gameplay features!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got KD:M mostly to paint & adore. I'm not sure how much I'll get play it, solo or group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to do both - multiplayer at the gaming club (if I get the numbers) but definitely also solo campaign at home. The game just looks too good not to!

Plus - and this is important - the "feel" of the game is so different that playing it solo it will always feel right to me. Playing in a group, there is a small but definite danger if one of the group doesn't get into the theme properly. Finding it hard to put into words, but you know what I mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I'll probably end up doing both as well. My gaming group's on the edges of their seats, waiting for me to receive it so we can get a game going, but our gaming sessions often tend to lean more towards pen and paper games instead, so if the progress is too slow I'll just play a solo campaign when the craving for KD:M becomes too great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garrison
United States
Ventnor City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo. Unfortunately, that is my only option right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson78
msg tools
mb
I don’t worry about solo play ability but about multiplayer ability. Is there something why second player is needed? I worry about creating play group where is one “commander” that decide everything and others are “component-pullers”.

Isn’t it something like “The Isle of Doctor Necreaux”? I can almost sleep during this game because I need only roll a dice. Another decision had been made by “leader”.

Is there any game mechanics that pull other player to game? I mean something like Magic Realm (I know, it is different, but it is only example), where all players can (but not to need) cooperate, every players have owns incentives and you can enjoy every minute of the game and have to make important decision, because no one can make it instead of you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anderson78 wrote:
Is there any game mechanics that pull other player to game? I mean something like Magic Realm (I know, it is different, but it is only example), where all players can (but not to need) cooperate, every players have owns incentives and you can enjoy every minute of the game and have to make important decision, because no one can make it instead of you?

Well this is really up to interpretation. There is tactical gameplay where people move to fight a monster and work together cooperatively. A single person with a strong personality could simply tell people what to do, but that's up to the players to decide if they allow that.

If you wanted to go cut-throat then every person is in charge of their own equipment and producing new equipment from resources they scavenge from the hunt.

Community building also seems to be very cooperative.

I suppose it's as cooperative as your group lets it be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, always a problem with a co-op - one strong or experienced player can end up running the show. It takes a good player to be able to explain options but still leave the other player with a real choice to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rando Commando
msg tools
BUMP

solo for me. My girlfriend is too impatient for candyland. She want our zombicide game over before I can even set up the board for a scenario..... o_O

The extra recordkeeoing will be offset by player choices. Its like a video game really, no wonder Adam's previous project was for a video game..

Not a regular at the FLGS, but I might pop in and make everyone mess their pants when they see it. I know most prob couldnt afford it, especially all the expansions. So I expect to make a few friends with the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I pooled money with friends to buy the game and its expansion in the anticipation that the four of us will play together. One of us is an experienced painter of armies who’s willing to share materials and teach us that business. Since we’re all busy adults, I expect we’ll have several campaigns running at once, each with a different subset of our player base. I imagine I’ll try playing solo, but not until we’ve had the experience of group play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd want to play a campaign of this with a group, but it looks like the kind of game I'd set up, learn the rules, and then leave out for days and absolutely batter solo.
That said I may never get past the assembly stage since I lack the requisite skills, so it could all be a moot point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
I'd want to play a campaign of this with a group, but it looks like the kind of game I'd set up, learn the rules, and then leave out for days and absolutely batter solo.
That said I may never get past the assembly stage since I lack the requisite skills, so it could all be a moot point.

Is it strange that my reaction to this is not "Nooo - you need to play the game!" but rather "Noooo - you need to assemble the mini's - they so shiny!!"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.